Would You Bid On A Coin With Blind Shipping Charges?

Old July 2nd 03, 11:05 PM
reknib

Default Would You Bid On A Coin With Blind Shipping Charges?

I am wanting to bid on an Injun Head cent on Ebay, but the seller says
shipping will be spcified later.
" Shipping costs will be specified later. Buyer pays for all shipping
costs."
The price is abnormally low, the coin looks great but no one else is
bidding on this coin, I don't know why. Would you bid, not knowing
what they are going to strap on for shipping?
Here is the link:

Thanks
----------------------
Mickey W

----------------------
Old July 2nd 03, 11:12 PM
Bob Flaminio

reknib wrote:
I am wanting to bid on an Injun Head cent on Ebay, but the seller says
shipping will be spcified later.
" Shipping costs will be specified later. Buyer pays for all shipping
costs."

No way. Agreeing with that basically gives the seller carte blanche to
charge you whatever he wants, and you really have no recourse except to
not pay and suck up a NPB/FVF/neg.

--
Bob

Old July 2nd 03, 11:21 PM
eXistenZ32

In article , Bob Flaminio wrote:
No way. Agreeing with that basically gives the seller carte blanche to
charge you whatever he wants, and you really have no recourse except to
not pay and suck up a NPB/FVF/neg.

Agreed. This sounds like if he gets too low of a price, he'd jack shipping
up and call it "handling charges." If i ever look at something
and it doesnt have a shipping price, i email ahead of time asking
what shipping method, and cost to my zip code. If theyre not willing
to tell, its not worth it for me to bid on.

--
______ ______
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32
|_____||______||______|
Old July 2nd 03, 11:41 PM
Ian

If you are interested in them, why not email the seller and ask what
he/she means.

I know that the permutations on shipping costs could run to pages and
pages depending on location and the methods available (rodinary mail /
airmail, tracked, registered, registered insured etcetcetc). Rather than
making any assumptions one way or the other....try the simplest method
of finding out....ask the seller directly. only they can give you the
definitive answer ou are looking for.

Ian

reknib wrote:
That probably explains why no one is bidding on the two Injun heads
they have for bid tonight. Shame, they sure look nice.
I had never run across a seller that didn't give shipping on the Ebay
description. Thanks for the tip.

Old July 2nd 03, 11:44 PM
BobbyShaw

Only 4 hours left, so maybe not enough time to do this, but I'd e-mail the
seller telling him my city and state and ask him what shipping would be.

If no answer, then no bid.

Robert Shaw

wrote:

reknib wrote:
I am wanting to bid on an Injun Head cent on Ebay, but the seller says
shipping will be spcified later.
" Shipping costs will be specified later. Buyer pays for all shipping
costs."

No way. Agreeing with that basically gives the seller carte blanche to
charge you whatever he wants, and you really have no recourse except to
not pay and suck up a NPB/FVF/neg.

--
Does olive oil really help with corroded coins? Check out my experiment at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~robe294/o...xperiment.html
Old July 3rd 03, 01:28 AM
Bill Krummel

"reknib" wrote in message
I am wanting to bid on an Injun Head cent on Ebay, but the seller says
shipping will be spcified later.
" Shipping costs will be specified later. Buyer pays for all shipping
costs."
The price is abnormally low, the coin looks great but no one else is
bidding on this coin, I don't know why. Would you bid, not knowing
what they are going to strap on for shipping?
Here is the link:

Thanks
----------------------
Mickey W

I wouldn't call the price abnormally low. I just sold this one last night;

My coin (scuse me, not my coin now) looks better in my hand than in the
photo, imo. I think you can find nice EF IHCs for high single digits, just
keep looking. I probably have others I am going to list. Bill

Old July 3rd 03, 02:14 AM
reknib

Excuse my ignorance Cliff, but what's wrong with the D mintmark on the
Franklin Half? There was a D minted that year according to Coin World
Trends.

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:40:08 -0400, Cliff
wrote:

Cliff wrote:

(reknib) wrote:

I am wanting to bid on an Injun Head cent on Ebay, but the seller says
shipping will be spcified later.
" Shipping costs will be specified later. Buyer pays for all shipping
costs."
The price is abnormally low, the coin looks great but no one else is
bidding on this coin, I don't know why. Would you bid, not knowing
what they are going to strap on for shipping?
Here is the link:

Thanks
----------------------
Mickey W

----------------------

eeeeekkkkk disregard my idea about asking the seller a question. No
way is that coin worth 9.50. Looks like PVC residue and I don't
believe you'll get good value for your money.
Cliff

As a follow-up, I looked at the other items he has for sale. He has a
1958 Franklin Half up for auction, great, except there is a "D"
mintmark on the reverse. The other coins I looked at are overgraded
and since I can't see for squat, if it looks bad to me, it's probably
really bad in person. But, then again, I could be worng.
Cliff

----------------------
Mickey W

----------------------
Old July 3rd 03, 02:15 AM
Bruce Remick

reknib wrote:

I am wanting to bid on an Injun Head cent on Ebay, but the seller says
shipping will be spcified later.
" Shipping costs will be specified later. Buyer pays for all shipping
costs."
The price is abnormally low, the coin looks great but no one else is
bidding on this coin, I don't know why. Would you bid, not knowing
what they are going to strap on for shipping?

First off, the opening bid is $9.50 and an 1901 in EF40 Trends at
$8.00. The coin looks average EF at best with some possible reverse
crud, definitely not one I'd pay a premium for personally. Second, I
agree that the shipping ambiguity is kinda strange, especially when he
says "buyer pays fixed shipping charges". If it's fixed, he could have
stated what it was. If I really wanted to bid on one of his auctions, I
would first email him for clarification.

Bruce
Old July 3rd 03, 03:47 AM
Nick Knight

In , on 07/02/2003
at 03:12 PM, "Bob Flaminio" said:

I am wanting to bid on an Injun Head cent on Ebay, but the seller says
shipping will be spcified later.
" Shipping costs will be specified later. Buyer pays for all shipping
costs."

No way. Agreeing with that basically gives the seller carte blanche to
charge you whatever he wants, and you really have no recourse except to not
pay and suck up a NPB/FVF/neg.

And he gets a neg too. So, if he decided to charge $50, you think you're
libel to pay it? I've always looked at this as a "seller wants to leave
shipping negotiable" deal. But I try to write first ... and usually get an
answer, then decide.

But I've been very trigger shy as of late. Massively turned off by sellers
thinking $5-6 should be a starting "standard" fee. Not unless they have
multiple items and state that they combine shipping. Then, I've been
striking up some deals off-eBay, too.

Oh well, that's my opinion cue here. I see some others, so let me go read
more.

Nick