Reliable registered mail?

Old August 17th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Reliable registered mail?

Today marks the 15th day that a registered package containing coins has
failed to materialize at my address. The claim form clearly states that I
have the right to make a claim between 15 days and 180 days after the date
of mailing. Today I filled out the form and presented it to my post office,
after having the sender fax me copies of his receipt and the invoice for the
coins. The postmaster refused to accept the application, saying that the
computer shows the package to be still en route. It does not. It says that
the package was "accepted" at the sender's post office.

Sigh, maybe tomorrow...

Meanwhile, I can track online the progress of a $15 book sent uninsured via
USPS from Amazon.com.

Yeah, I know, whine, whine, whine.

James
'no, I don't want cheese with my whine'

Old August 17th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

On Aug 16, 5:26 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Today marks the 15th day that a registered package containing coins has
failed to materialize at my address. The claim form clearly states that I
have the right to make a claim between 15 days and 180 days after the date
of mailing. Today I filled out the form and presented it to my post office,
after having the sender fax me copies of his receipt and the invoice for the
coins. The postmaster refused to accept the application, saying that the
computer shows the package to be still en route. It does not. It says that
the package was "accepted" at the sender's post office.

Sigh, maybe tomorrow...

Meanwhile, I can track online the progress of a $15 book sent uninsured via
USPS from Amazon.com.

Yeah, I know, whine, whine, whine.

James
'no, I don't want cheese with my whine'

It's highly unusual, but I have had one in particular take around 21
days to show up. What you do have going for you with registered mail
is that it is a chain of custody process where each person that
handles the package must sign their name when they take posession of
it. Cuts down on theft dramatically. I've never had one stolen out
of probably at least a hundred that I've either mailed or received.

My registered package that took so long to receive contained around
$4,000 in auction winnings from a very reputable company, so like you
I was more than a little concerned. But all was well that ended well.

Old August 17th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"reality" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I figure this one will as well, but in all three past episodes of this I
have experienced, nothing was done until a claim was filed. The first two,
addressed to me, finally arrived with rubber stamps "found in supposedly
empty equipment" and the most recent, sent by me to this same dealer, sat in
the destination post office for 30 days marked "undeliverable." It was
properly and accurately addressed, we learned later, and he is a
nationally-known coin dealer and must receive hundreds of packages a month.

I suppose that the one person who has the signing power in a post office
along the way went on vacation for two weeks.

James

Old August 17th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Just checked my notes for one of two missing shipments. Priority mail
shows attempted delivery on March 31 at 10:30am, and notice left.
Well, no notice was left, and my mail NEVER shows up before noon. Post
office shrugs and claims no responsibility. Luckily only a $30 coin.
Other missing shipment only $15. Not worth my time filing claims, and
no feedback left. Oh well.

Old August 17th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
"reality" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

James,

I have mailed out thousands of Registered Mail parcels, the most
expensive of which was worth $175,000 (I have supllementary insurance
over the USPS $25,000) and that one took 19 days to reach Dallas TX
from upstate NY. I was sweating it!

Never had a piece lost, but the time for for selivery is awfully
variable. I've sent other pieces to Dallas and had them take 5 days.
Most I send out are worth $3000-$20,000. It's clearly the safest way
to ship. I've convinced you'll get your parcel.

Ira

Old August 17th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

Today marks the 15th day that a registered package containing coins has
failed to materialize at my address. The claim form clearly states that I
have the right to make a claim between 15 days and 180 days after the date
of mailing. Today I filled out the form and presented it to my post
office, after having the sender fax me copies of his receipt and the
invoice for the coins. The postmaster refused to accept the application,
saying that the computer shows the package to be still en route. It does
not. It says that the package was "accepted" at the sender's post office.

Sigh, maybe tomorrow...

Meanwhile, I can track online the progress of a $15 book sent uninsured
via USPS from Amazon.com.

Yeah, I know, whine, whine, whine.

James
'no, I don't want cheese with my whine'

I have never had them go missing, but I have waited as long as 32 days for
one. It was one coming from Aberdeen Scotland. I usually get them from
Europe in about a week. Now I am awaiting another from Eastern Europe with
a large trade, see how long that one takes.

Old August 18th 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Dworetsky

Today marks the 15th day that a registered package containing coins has
failed to materialize at my address. The claim form clearly states that I
have the right to make a claim between 15 days and 180 days after the date
of mailing. Today I filled out the form and presented it to my post
office, after having the sender fax me copies of his receipt and the
invoice for the coins. The postmaster refused to accept the application,
saying that the computer shows the package to be still en route. It does
not. It says that the package was "accepted" at the sender's post office.

Sigh, maybe tomorrow...

Meanwhile, I can track online the progress of a $15 book sent uninsured
via USPS from Amazon.com.

Yeah, I know, whine, whine, whine.

James
'no, I don't want cheese with my whine'

Last week the Royal Mail delivered a postcard 94 years after it was posted.
The postal management did at least offer an apology to the descendants of
the original intended recipient. Full marks for doing the genealogy trace,
at least.

The story did not explain where the card had been all that time.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Old August 18th 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in message
[...]

A postcard franked with a stamp is not the same as registered mail, which
has to be accounted for at every turn. In my view, mail that has to be
handled in so anally retentive a fashion as U.S. Registered ought to be
traceable, online, to its last known location. In the case of the package
in question, its last known location was the counter where it was presented
for mailing. The postmaster had the nerve to tell me that the package was
"still in transit." In the time elapsed since mailing I could have driven
between my house and the post office of origin and back home, at a leisurely
pace, five times. There is no excuse for that.

James

Old August 18th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

"Mr. Jaggers", sagacious as ever, observed:
A postcard franked with a stamp is not the same as registered mail, which
has to be accounted for at every turn. In my view, mail that has to be
handled in so anally retentive a fashion as U.S. Registered ought to be
traceable, online, to its last known location...

Amen, brother! At least a reasonable, prudent individual would think so.

Amistad
'keeping tabs from afar'

Old August 19th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

"Amistad" wrote in message
"Mr. Jaggers", sagacious as ever, observed:
A postcard franked with a stamp is not the same as registered mail, which
has to be accounted for at every turn. In my view, mail that has to be
handled in so anally retentive a fashion as U.S. Registered ought to be
traceable, online, to its last known location...

Amen, brother! At least a reasonable, prudent individual would think so.

Amistad
'keeping tabs from afar'

Even anything traced is usually never updated beyond the pickup point. It
is a waste of money.

Insured vs Registered Mail PC Coins 7 May 1st 05 05:24 AM
Which is safest: registered mail from the U.S. to Canada, orregular mail. Bob Ingraham General Discussion 16 April 12th 04 09:45 PM
Missing Registered Mail - USA Stamps4ra General Discussion 2 April 7th 04 09:15 PM
Missing Registered Mail tony General Discussion 3 April 7th 04 07:23 PM
What is "uninsured registered mail?" Scot Kamins Coins 27 March 9th 04 01:25 AM