Where do you buy your coins?

Old June 2nd 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Doe[_2_]

Default Where do you buy your coins?

I enjoy going to coin shows, but am often overwhelmed by the
selections and the dealers. I have bought a few coins at shows,
nothing of any great value or cost, but have found later, that, while
I wasn't "taken", my purchases weren't the most economically
favorable. I feel that at shows there is a fair amount of haggling,
but for low value coins to fit into a type set collection, it often
isn't worth the effort.

So, where do you buy your coins?

I have bought a couple from on-line dealers, and, again, it seems to
be a mixed bag, especially when there is not a photo of the coin on
the web site.

I have browsed e-bay, and a couple of other auction sites, but never
participated.

Just curious, and hopeful that I can gain a little insight.

Thank you.

(a re-entering collector, returning after 30 years)
Old June 2nd 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

First of all, welcome back to numismatics! It's a great, educational hobby,
where you can accumulate a lot of friends along with the coins.

Ebay is an excellent source of coins, but forget about any auction that
doesn't have a really good picture of BOTH sides of the coin. Make sure the
lighting is good, there aren't parts of the picture "covered up," check out
the seller's terms and make sure you agree with them. Most of us here avoid
auctions where there is an unnecessary amount of hype, whether visual or
just blathering on and on. Check their feedback, not only the number and
percent, but actually read some of it - both feedback left for them and
feedback they left for their buyers. Occasionally there is "very
interesting" reading there!

There may be a coin shop near you that you could visit, but they vary
mightily in the quality and range of the coins being offered, as well as in
the attitude of the proprietors.

If you have truly been away from coins for three decades, you will need to
know about certified coins and the different companies that certify and
encapsulate ("slab") them.

We've beaten the horse of coin pricing here many times. My attitude, and
perhaps mine alone, is to enjoy the coins and make what I pay for them
secondary, within reason. Grading was an issue 30 years ago when you quit
(actually it was an issue long before that), and it is still an issue. It
sounds as if you are wishing to buy pretty ordinary coins at this point, but
definitely learn to grade the series you are collecting. Need a list of
books? Post again.

James

Old June 2nd 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

I collect both US and non-US coins. For US coins I have bought at
shows, ebay, local dealers, individual collectors I have met, and internet
friends.

For non-US coins I buy from anyone and anyplace I can get an example from.
Many times just finding an example is very tough. For non-US coins I simply
want a nice looking coin and have no concern about grade other than it looks
nice. For US stuff, I am a bit more concerned with grade and price.

Dale

Old June 2nd 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
vikubz

On Jun 2, 3:02 pm, John Doe wrote:
[...]

Find out if there are any shops in your area. A coin shop is a great
way to meet other collectors and learn a lot about coins. You can
inspect a coin at your leisure and the dealers I know will keep an eye
out for a particular coin you're looking for.
Where are you located? I'm sure someone on this board can give you an
idea where to find a good shop.

Mark

Old June 2nd 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jorg Lueke

On Jun 2, 9:02 pm, John Doe wrote:
I enjoy going to coin shows, but am often overwhelmed by the
selections and the dealers. I have bought a few coins at shows,
nothing of any great value or cost, but have found later, that, while
I wasn't "taken", my purchases weren't the most economically
favorable. I feel that at shows there is a fair amount of haggling,
but for low value coins to fit into a type set collection, it often
isn't worth the effort.

So, where do you buy your coins?

Everywhere I can! I buy at coin shows, that remains the preferred
venue since it allows one unparalleled access to view the merchandise
up close and personal. But I also buy at major online auction from
places like CNG, Stacks, and many of the firms at sixbid. Vcoins is
another good source I keep an eye on, and finally I do go to ebay.
Especially for exonumia though I do occasionally find decent ancients
on ebay as well. The key there is just to understand and to avoid the
obvios danger signs.

Old June 3rd 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Dworetsky

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Our area coin club (Harrow Coin Club, NW London) is very active, and
features regular auctions by members of coins from charity collections, from
our free identification and valuation sessions for the public, or (for those
who know some dealers) of coins from dealers willing to sell them off for a
reasonable retail price on a "first offer" basis before putting them in a
display case. Members also sell their own coins when, for example, they
have obtained a replacement of a higher grade.

If you live in the area, our next meeting is June 11th. See

http://harrowcoinclub.org.uk/

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Old June 3rd 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

Vcoins.com, local dealers, other collectors on forums, coin shows, and very
occasionally fleaBay.

Old June 8th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On 2 Jun., 22:02, John Doe wrote:
So, where do you buy your coins?

I advice and successful bought in Coin Mall

www.ma-shops.com
great dealers and every day new items.
I bought several times and I enjoy it.

Successful bought in shop Olding, Pater and Poinsignon

Best G.G.