Interesting Finds Today, and new friends!

Old November 10th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
seeker

Default Interesting Finds Today, and new friends!

I had two boxes of halves come in today and did ok with the following
finds:

19 40%
1 1964
1 1950 Frankie in XF
1 1963 Frankie in F

Ok I guess, but the real fun came when I went to my local bank to pour
them in their coin return machine. I go into the bank and to the coin
machine and there were 3 illegals, immigrants,US citizens, I am not
really sure. They had pulled out a desk drawer filled with coins to
cash in the coin machine. They had put in maybe half their haul, when
unfortunately their coins were wet and they hosed the machine untill it
gets a good cleaning. Any way they had a pile of interesting coins that
were not accepted by the machine and were piled on the table. They
seemed friendly enough so I asked if I could check them out.
Immediately, I noticed two coins from the 19th century, and one coin
that I though might be a shielded nickel. The old coins were in pretty
crappy shape, but I told them they could be worth something and they
should look the coins up on the internet. I also told them their was a
coin shop about 2 miles away and they were open till 6pm. Their
response was, they offered me the coins ...... FREE. Well, I did not
want to take advantage so, I offered them $5 for the coins. (Which was
probably a fair price). They insisted I take them for free. I thanked
my new friends and headed for a bank where the coin machine was not
hosed.

Here is what I got from that pile:

First the most interesting:

1 18-- something, 2 Cent US in AG, maybe I could make out the rest of
the date with more magnification. Its in crappy shape, still to find a
106+ year old US coin in circulation is pretty cool.
(This was the one I thought might have been a nickel)

then,
1 1892 Farthing in G
1 1862 Farthing in AG
1 1869 10 lepta greek in G
1 1950 Ore Sweden (Silver) in XF

Also, I ID-ed
1 200 Pesos (1985) Revolution f-xf
1 NYC One Fare Transit Token xf
1 1972 10 Bank of Korea f
1 1978 5 pence Ireland xf

Then there are about 20 more coins made up of various other Canadian,
Mexican, Euros, and a couple Asian coins yet to be identifed and a few
interesting tokens.

I still have some work to id the Asian coins. I had a great time
examining them all and I wonder how these coins came to these 3 people.
They certainly are not collectors.

Seeker

Old November 10th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
seeker

Forgot to mention, while at the bank picking up my two boxes of coins,
I came across a Star Note in my wallet (my first one) nothing special a
$20 2004, I think there are like 3.2 Million of them. Still it added to
my days finds. Also, I am getting two more half boxes tomorrow. Maybe
Ill get lucky.

Seeker

Old November 10th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
seeker

Todays two boxes:

20 40%
1 1964
1 1943 S Walker F-50
1 1942 D Walker F-50

Then a few bonuses:

Proofs

1 1984 S
1 1987 S
1 1991 S
1 1993 S
1 1994 S

All the proofs are non silver and AU or greater. I certainly cannot
complain. I might stop by the ole coin shop to see if he can tell me
anything interesting about the 2 cent coin I received yesterday.

Seeker

Old November 10th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
seeker

e wrote:
In article .com, "seeker" wrote:

Todays two boxes:

20 40%
1 1964
1 1943 S Walker F-50
1 1942 D Walker F-50

Then a few bonuses:

Proofs

1 1984 S
1 1987 S
1 1991 S
1 1993 S
1 1994 S

All the proofs are non silver and AU or greater. I certainly cannot
complain. I might stop by the ole coin shop to see if he can tell me
anything interesting about the 2 cent coin I received yesterday.

Seeker

F-50? you mean 15, maybe?
if you want to trade proofs, lmk. i'm trying to complete a
set from circulation and have some dupes.

yeah..F-15, I need to review the grading numbers. Anyway, Ill see what
I have in doubles in proofs. I know I have a few including the 1987 S.
Ill take a look. My coin dealer was able to get the date off the 2 cent
coin, its a 1869, pretty cool even in the poor condition its in.

Seeker