I bought a Morgan on ebay that looks like a VAM Top 100

Old May 15th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default I bought a Morgan on ebay that looks like a VAM Top 100

On 13 May 2006 06:35:07 -0700, "oly" wrote:

"VAM" stands for "SCAM".

"but many of the coins don't bring a premium in the real market" - a
beautiful statement.

Morgan dollars ain't rare.

oly

They aint Rare per say but they arent all that common either.....
Hundreds of millions of them were melted VIA the Pittman Act of
1919.......

Gary

Old May 15th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 12 May 2006 20:02:35 -0700, "Randy Thompson"
wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation and information from both of you. Here is
the ebay auction where I won the coin.

As you can see it was graded MS65 in an older green PCI holder. This
one has the 14 digit serial number. I've lost the link to Eric
Tillery's web page on these but I believe these were mostly accurately
graded. This one actually has very few marks and the ones it does have
are light. I'd say the worst mark on the coin is in the field to the
right of the eagle. I have very little in-hand experience with Morgans
but I've seen tons of images and most MS65's I've seen looked more beat
up than this. The luster is good but muted a bit by the heavy tone. I
think it's fairly graded but wouldn't be too surprised if PCGS gave it
a 64, but it would be a high end 64 I think. I doubt it could go 66.

I'm not sure if I will sell it in it's current holder, cross it to NGC
or ANACS or just put it away for a while. Since I paid pretty much 64
money for it with no indication of the VAM I think I'll do alright
either way.

Bingo. 14 Digit Serial is the Most Conservatively Graded.

Gary