I bought a Morgan on ebay that looks like a VAM Top 100

Old May 13th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default I bought a Morgan on ebay that looks like a VAM Top 100

"oly" wrote in message
ups.com...
VAM is phony baloney. Psuedo-science. A mountain from a molehill.
False scholar****.

In the 1880s and 1890s the U.S. Mint had to wade through mountains of
silver every month. They made 1000s of dies. It had to be hectic, a
crazy time.

The flaws, the minor errors, mean nothing. They don't tell us ****
about the era that they were produced in, they don't tell us anything
about the minting process. Little flaws, nicks in the dies from where
they were dropped, tools hit the die faces, die clashes, big whoopee.

A 1955 double die cent would be a great thing to find for zero and sell
for a lot; but I'd never buy one.

I know I'm way out of line in saying this, but a person should collect what
he likes, not collect what he doesn't like, and not denigrate the collecting
interests of other numismatists.

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 13th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

oly wrote:
VAM is phony baloney. Psuedo-science. A mountain from a molehill.
False scholar****...

VAMs just show die pairs. No more, no less. Some people find them
intriguing. Others don't. There is probably a strong correlation
between intelligence and appreciation of variation in coins. I'm sorry
you don't appreicate the variation.

Anita

Old May 14th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I always thought VAM stood for "Varieties A la Morgan".

Old May 14th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Randy Thompson wrote:
Would the coin do well in an NGC slab or do VAM collectors mostly want
to put them in PCGS registry sets? I don't have a convienient way to
send it to PCGS. I'm not a member nor do I want to join. My local
dealer quit sending coins to PCGS years ago and only sends to NCG now.
I could send it to ANACS myself...

VAM people will accept a coin in holders of any of the three top
companies. Given a choice of the three holders, they would probably
have the same preference as the general population: 1-PCGS, 2-NGC,
3-ANACS. Sending in a single coin for grading and VAM verification is
expensive. So unless the value of the coin is increased $90 or more,
it's a money losing proposition with PCGS and NGC. ANACS is not quite
so expensive.

If you send the coin into the companies, you have the option to not
have the coin cracked out if it is less than a certain grade.
Unfortunately, you will still pay the grading cost. I don't know if
they would refund the VAM money or not.

Your idea about taking it to a local dealer sounds like a good one.

Anita

Old May 14th 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"oly" wrote in message
ups.com...
VAM is phony baloney. Psuedo-science. A mountain from a molehill.
False scholar****.

In the 1880s and 1890s the U.S. Mint had to wade through mountains of
silver every month. They made 1000s of dies. It had to be hectic, a
crazy time.

The flaws, the minor errors, mean nothing. They don't tell us ****
about the era that they were produced in, they don't tell us anything
about the minting process. Little flaws, nicks in the dies from where
they were dropped, tools hit the die faces, die clashes, big whoopee.

A 1955 double die cent would be a great thing to find for zero and sell
for a lot; but I'd never buy one.

oly

oly

A similar situation exists with the UK bronze coinage of Queen Victoria,
"Freeman" has gazillions of varieties identified and some collectors life
ambition is to have as many of them in their collection as possible,
sometimes paying a lot for a coin identical to millions of others but for
some very minor difference.

I have no desire to spend my life examine coins with a magnifying glass but
there are many that do that, are they crazy? Probably, but if they want to
do it and they have fun then why not. Billy

Old May 14th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"note.boy" wrote in message

"oly" wrote in message
[...]

Love that L.C.W. under foot!

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 14th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

The problem comes when people persuade other people to spend big money
on VAMs. VAMsters tout them as "investments". The problem comes when
people "discover" or "cherrypick" VAMs and think they've won the
lottery.

I think that I've thrown out this idea before, but in their original
incarnation (in the 1960s, when Morgans were available by the bag and
at close to face value), VAM was a way to persuade people that it was
worthwhile to own more than one coin of some of the most common dates.
Then, the coins were very plentiful and very cheap - sometimes less
than twice face value.

Today (i.e., from 1990 to date) when any nice Morgan will fetch at
least twenty dollars, VAM has been revived by the get rich quick crowd
as a way to part fools from their money.

oly

Old May 15th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 13 May 2006 13:11:59 -0700, oly wrote:
VAM is phony baloney. Psuedo-science. A mountain from a molehill.
False scholar****.

Isn't it just a die variety classification that some but not most people
care about?

The flaws, the minor errors, mean nothing.

To you.

They don't tell us ****
about the era that they were produced in, they don't tell us anything
about the minting process. Little flaws, nicks in the dies from where
they were dropped, tools hit the die faces, die clashes, big whoopee.

(shrug) the stamp collectors seem to care about die states. All I know
is that it changes what I can get for what, to me, is a duplicate.
Makes it easier to decide which of several of the "same thing" to sell.

A 1955 double die cent would be a great thing to find for zero and sell
for a lot; but I'd never buy one.

Fair enough. Some people care, some don't. I guess being someone who
doesn't, selling to someone who does, is the best combination.

Old May 15th 06, 10:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"note.boy" wrote in message

"oly" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't mind buying one at the non L.C.W. price. Billy