OED and NED (corrections?)

Old May 10th 05, 01:51 PM
Jan

Default OED and NED (corrections?)

Hello there

Since some time i am interested in the "Oxford English Dictionary" and
its history. Especially the differences between the "original" "New
English Dictionary" which appeared in 1928 and the re-issue from 1933,
called "The Oxford English Dictionary".

The title of the 1933 edition says, it is a "corrected re-issue"!
But if i have a look at both editions i can see no difference between
them
except the number of volumes (from 10 to 12), the general appearance
(color etc.),the missing prefaces of the single fascicles which
constituted the 1928 edition and other little things.
But if i take a look at the single pages and definitions, there is no
difference.
It seems as if the 1933 edition was printed with the same plates as the
1933 edition.
Maybe the "corrections" are just in the supplement to the 1933 edition?

I know that there are several book, dealing with the OED, but they do
not answer this question exactly...

Does anyone know more about this matter?

Thanks
Jan

Old May 17th 05, 01:28 AM
Jerry Morris

(Jan) wrote:

[...]

Jan,

The "corrections" or omitted words are contained in the supplement. We
had a similar question in June 2002. I provided the last response,
referring to Jonathon Green's book, Chasing the Sun:
http://www.tinyurl.com/8kmk2

I forwarded your thread to Sandy Malcolm, my London bibliophile friend,
who, incidentally, purchased the OED set I mentioned in the 2002
thread. Sandy says the 1933 Supplement is technically a supplement to
the original 1928 NED, since it was sent free of charge to the
subscribers to the original parts. He also thinks the publisher could
have easily changed a plate or two to make minor corrections. He will
look for an errata sheet in his Parts, which would enable you to compare
specific pages to see if the errors were corrected...more to follow if
Sandy finds an errata sheet.

Cheers,
Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

Old May 19th 05, 06:22 PM
Jerry Morris

(Jan) posted a thread concerning the corrections to the
NED, to which I have already responded. I am providing additional
information:

Jan,

Sandy Malcolm reviewed his set of the NED and discovered a list of
errata in the Dispatches section. Sandy currently has computer
problems, so I will extract and post the pertinent portion of his email:

".....Here's a random selection of them - my prediction would be that
the 1933
issue of the OED should incorporate all of these whereas the 1928 one
obviously won't (as the additions/corrections were published after the
fascicle of the dictionary where they should have appeared):

Gage : earliest quotation should be from 1475 (Caxton, Game of Chesse)

Genitras : add quotation 13 from Minor Poems of the Vernon MS

Marble, sb, sense 3 : earlier example from 1671 (quotation from Salmon)

Massy, a, sense 5 : should have included 1632 quotation from Milton, Il
Penseroso, line 158

Stanstickle : earlier example a1300 from Neckam, De Utensilibus

Also the entries for Variolist, Vaseline and Vellumize should be
different
between the 1928 and 1933 issues, although I didn't note down what the
differences were.

If you tell Jan, who asked the original question, to compare these
specific
entries in the 1928 and 1933 editions, he should find (if my hypothesis
is
correct) that they're different.

If he finds that they're identical, I have
no idea what the corrections in the 1933 reissue might be - the 1933 one
would have to include these corrections *somewhere*, and putting them in
the
correct place would be the obvious thing to do.

Work on the 1933 Supplement
actually began before the final fascicle of the Dictionary was published
in
1928, so I doubt if they'd be in there.

Anyway, if you hear back from him, let me know what he finds out - I've
never seen a 1928 set and a 1933 one beside one another, so I'd be
interested in what the comparison shows as well."
Sandy

Old May 23rd 05, 01:45 PM
Jan

Jerry Morris schrieb:
[...]

Hello there,

do i understand that right that the 1928 edition already contains
some pages or a dispatch where corrections and errors are mentioned?

I think next week i will have a look at both editions to see if the
entries have changed!

bye
Jan