Rare error but planchet flaw - opinions wanted

Old February 7th 04, 05:03 AM
logan

Default Rare error but planchet flaw - opinions wanted

I have an opportunity to buy a very rare error coin in MS65 that is slabbed
by a well respected grading agency. The coin appears to in fact be a MS65
but the coin also has a noticeable planchet flaw. Considering the population
of this coin in MS65 is only 18, I am tempted to buy this coin, especially
given that it is slabbed 65, however, given the money I would have to spend
and this flaw, I am hesitant at the same time. Auction records show this
coin typically only comes to auction 1 time every year or two. Thoughts on
what I should do would be appreciated. Thanks. Tempted and torn....

Old February 7th 04, 07:23 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 05:03:14 GMT, "logan" wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a very rare error coin in MS65 that is slabbed
by a well respected grading agency. The coin appears to in fact be a MS65
but the coin also has a noticeable planchet flaw. Considering the population
of this coin in MS65 is only 18, I am tempted to buy this coin, especially
given that it is slabbed 65, however, given the money I would have to spend
and this flaw, I am hesitant at the same time. Auction records show this
coin typically only comes to auction 1 time every year or two. Thoughts on
what I should do would be appreciated. Thanks. Tempted and torn....

That's still a pretty common coin. You can wait for one your completely
happy with.

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old February 7th 04, 10:08 PM
logan

Yes, do you think that would help? How? Are some planchet flaws worse than
others?

"Chris Simpson" wrote in message
Can you show is a pic of it?

Old February 13th 04, 06:56 AM
Ed. Stoebenau

wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a very rare error coin in MS65 that is slabbed
by a well respected grading agency. The coin appears to in fact be a MS65
but the coin also has a noticeable planchet flaw. Considering the population
of this coin in MS65 is only 18, I am tempted to buy this coin, especially
given that it is slabbed 65, however, given the money I would have to spend
and this flaw, I am hesitant at the same time. Auction records show this
coin typically only comes to auction 1 time every year or two. Thoughts on
what I should do would be appreciated. Thanks. Tempted and torn....

Error or variety? If it's an error who cares to much about the
grade? If it's a variety, it depends how bad you think the
planchet flaw is. And 18 as one services 65 doesn't sound like
the coin would really be that rare. But it's tough to say when
we don't know what the coin is.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143