Kennedy Notes

Old July 5th 03, 08:58 PM
Pharmagarden

Default Kennedy Notes

Does anyone remember the notes that had several references to President
Kennedy? I believe they were 1963 notes with a K on them. If anyone can
post some info on these, I would be most grateful.

Old July 6th 03, 01:42 AM
Fred A. Murphy

On 5-Jul-2003, Pharmagarden wrote:

Does anyone remember the notes that had several references to President
Kennedy? I believe they were 1963 notes with a K on them. If anyone can
post some info on these, I would be most grateful.

No, because no such note ever existed. Like the 9-11 notes "book" being
offered on ebaY, they're just a figment of someone's imagination applied to
already existing notes.

K is the 11th letter of the alphabet. There are 12 Federal Reserve
Districts, matching A-L with 1-12. A common series of dollar note is 1963.
The district number appears at all four quadrants of the note face. Dallas
is the 11th district. These are all facts you can verify by pulling any
regular $1 note out of your wallet, except for the series date.

Some wag took these facts and wove them into the following pack of lies:

These were commemorative notes
K is for Kennedy
Dallas TX is where he was shot.
The date was Nov (11th month) 22nd, 1963. The first 11 was the month, the
top two 11s add up to 22.
He was 44 years old, thus all four 11s.
The series was for the year.
There may be some additional bullship, I forget.

Since the notes had been in production for months before Kennedy was shot,
and they follow the exact same district and dating rules that had been
around since 1928, it's rather doubtful that someone planned this
"commemorative" of his death when JFK was still in grade school.

--

"The starting pay for a pilot at American Eagle is $16,800 a year. Never
let someone fly you up in the air who's making less than the kid at Taco
Old July 6th 03, 01:48 AM
Pharmagarden

Thanks, that't the info I was looking for. If anyone else knows any more
tidbits about these notes, I would appreciate your input. One other question,
were any of these particular notes signed by Joseph Barr?

Old July 6th 03, 04:04 AM
Scott Stevenson

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:48:36 -0400, Pharmagarden
wrote:

Thanks, that't the info I was looking for. If anyone else knows any more
tidbits about these notes, I would appreciate your input. One other question,
were any of these particular notes signed by Joseph Barr?

Well, yes and no. Series 1963B $1 notes were signed by Barr, but he
didn't become Secratary of the Treasury until the last month of
Johnson's second term.

Hope this helps,
Scott
Old July 6th 03, 06:20 AM
Fred A. Murphy

On 5-Jul-2003, Pharmagarden wrote:

Thanks, that't the info I was looking for. If anyone else knows any more
tidbits about these notes, I would appreciate your input. One other
question, were any of these particular notes signed by Joseph Barr?

No. The 1963B series notes were only made at district B E G J and L.

The Barr notes are another mythic item. Supposedly rare because he was only
in office around a month, they actually made a half billion of them over a
six month period, IIRC. About as rare as common date wheat cents.

Old July 6th 03, 06:49 AM
Greg Sievers

I understand that Joseph Barr was only in office a month and that he was
appointed at the end of Johnson's office, but how did the opening come about?
Did the previous Secretary of the Treasury die? What was HIS name? I would
still be interested in buying one or more K series 1963 notes, especially but
not exclusively star notes. Did Connally sign any of the 1963 series notes?

Ken Barr wrote:

wrote:

Thanks, that't the info I was looking for. If anyone else knows any more
tidbits about these notes, I would appreciate your input. One other
question,
were any of these particular notes signed by Joseph Barr?

Well, yes and no. Series 1963B $1 notes were signed by Barr, but he
didn't become Secratary of the Treasury until the last month of
Johnson's second term.

There were *no* Series 1963B "K" (Dallas) notes issued ...
Uncle Joe's notes were only issued for the New Yawk, Richmond,
Chi-town, KC and Rice-A-Roni districts (B, E, G, J and L).

--
Ken Barr Numismatics

P. O. Box 32541 website:
http://www.kenbarr.com
San Jose, CA 95152 (souvenir cards, MPC, Hickey Bros tokens)
408-272-3247 Next show: Modesto 7/12 (tent., no table)
ADVANCED NOTICE: ANA World's Fair of Money, San Jose, CA 7/27-31/2005

Old July 6th 03, 06:12 PM
Coin Saver

From: Greg Sievers

I understand that Joseph Barr was only in office a month ... What was the

previous Secretary of the Treasury's name?
Henry Fowler

Did Connally sign any of the 1963 series notes?

No.

8-/

Coin Saver
Old July 7th 03, 12:41 AM
Mrs. Clinton

"The starting pay for a pilot at American Eagle is $16,800 a year. Never
let someone fly you up in the air who's making less than the kid at Taco
Bell."
Michael Moore - "Stupid White Men"

Yes Michael Moore is one of the Stupidest White Men there is!