Boston may use new parking meters

Old November 4th 03, 04:58 PM
Paul Anderson

Default Boston may use new parking meters

Boston is thinking of using a new type of parking meter that accepts
"quarters and debit cards".

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2608726/detail.html

No wonder people think using debit cards for meters is convenient, if
the alternative is using piles of quarters.

I have sent a message to the City of Boston Transportation Commissioner
via their web page

http://www.cityofboston.gov/transportation/

indicating my hope that any new parking meters also accept dollar coins.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old November 4th 03, 05:13 PM
note.boy

Edinburgh now has solar powered parking meters that can be paid for
using a mobile phone, a credit card has to be registered, and for 20p a
text will be sent 10 minutes before the parking time expires. Billy

Old November 4th 03, 05:15 PM
BobbyShaw

Boston is thinking of using a new type of parking meter that accepts
"quarters and debit cards".

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2608726/detail.html

No wonder people think using debit cards for meters is convenient, if
the alternative is using piles of quarters.

I have sent a message to the City of Boston Transportation Commissioner
via their web page

http://www.cityofboston.gov/transportation/

indicating my hope that any new parking meters also accept dollar coins.

Paul

--

I went down to Savannah/Tybee Island, GA for a vacation the first of October.
Savannah around River Street had converted to new parking meters where they

Tybee Island still had the normal style parking meters -- one per spot, whick I
believe only took quarters.

Robert Shaw
--
Does olive oil really help with corroded coins? Check out my experiment at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~robe294/o...xperiment.html
Old November 6th 03, 02:56 PM
Paul Anderson

In article , Paul Anderson
wrote:

I have sent a message to the City of Boston Transportation Commissioner
via their web page

http://www.cityofboston.gov/transportation/

indicating my hope that any new parking meters also accept dollar coins.

I got a response from someone at the City of Boston saying the new
meters under consideration take only quarters and debit cards. I
responded by saying that parking meters are a perfect use for dollar
coins and that many other cities are using them.

I'll be damned if I'm going to load up on quarters or use a debit card
to pay for parking!

Paul

From: "Downs, Maureen"
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:09:39 -0500
To: '"
Subject: WWW / New parking meters

They take only quarters and debit or credit cards. Although dollar
coins may
be convenient, they are not used very often.

Old November 6th 03, 04:09 PM
Michael G. Koerner

Paul Anderson wrote:

In article , Paul Anderson
wrote:

I have sent a message to the City of Boston Transportation Commissioner
via their web page

http://www.cityofboston.gov/transportation/

indicating my hope that any new parking meters also accept dollar coins.

I got a response from someone at the City of Boston saying the new
meters under consideration take only quarters and debit cards. I
responded by saying that parking meters are a perfect use for dollar
coins and that many other cities are using them.

I'll be damned if I'm going to load up on quarters or use a debit card
to pay for parking!

What will their rate be?

The newer automated parking machines that I have seen on my travels,
mainly in the upper midwest, generally do accept $1 coins, though.

It really does get beyond silly when something like a super
high-capacity laundromat washing machine (there is one at a coin laundry
here in Appleton) that charges $8 for a cycle (one at another local
laundry charges $6.25), payable only in quarters.

(possible course of a discussion about that that I'd love to try out someday)
Me: What not set this washer to take $1 coins?
Attendant: Nobody uses them.
Me: Did you just call me a 'nobody'?
Etc....

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
Old November 6th 03, 11:52 PM
Steve355

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote in message ...
Paul Anderson wrote:

In article , Paul Anderson
wrote:

[...]

Now if there were only a few parking spots available !!