Al Gore-global warmning hoax hypocrite-his own energy use is 20xaverage

Old June 26th 08, 08:04 PM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.republican,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western[_2_]

Default Al Gore-global warmning hoax hypocrite-his own energy use is 20x average

He can't, especially since the Taliban's ready to take over
Afghanistan again, due to Bush/Cheney's disinterest in its welfare,

Allowing them to over-run a prison and bust out 700-1000
Taliban kind of puts things back to square one.

Old July 3rd 08, 03:39 AM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.republican,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Doc Holliday

On Jun 24, 4:23*pm, (Doug Bashford) wrote:
*On Tue, 24 Jun, William W Western said about:
If actions speak louder than rhetoric, then
name ONE good thing about Republicanism.
* Just one. *

Just one *real* thing. *

Can't do it?
You have only feelsgood rhetoric?

Ok here you go; you asked for it.......hahahahhaahhahahahah

Thank you, George W. Bush
Without your dark and spectacular failures, we wouldn't be so ready
leap forward. Kudos!

By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Friday, June 13, 2008

And then it came to pass that I happened to catch the tail end of a
recent episode of "Miami Ink," that odd little reality show on TLC
about the trials and tribulations of an unabashedly macho but still
adorably funky Florida tattoo shop offering all sorts of engaging
quirks, especially if you harbor a mild appreciation for decent Koi
fish tattoos and giant ridiculous motorcycles and lots of sweaty
siliconed sun baked Miami cheese.

This episode featured the story of a young, fresh-faced Iraqi War
vet,
a big, shy sweetheart of a kid who, it turns out, had both of his
legs
blown off at the knee by an improvised explosive device. As a
commemoration, he came to the shop to get a giant flaming skull
tattooed on his shoulder — a skull with, um, a couple of femur bones
stuck in there, somehow, in honor of his former appendages. Well, OK.

I hereby shall not question the kid's garish taste in body art. But
in
the process of describing his injury to the artist/camera, the guy
said something rather startling, something I didn't quite expect,
considering his young age and his lack of legs and the violence with
which they were taken from him, even though it's a refrain we've all
heard a million times before.

In sum, he said, You know what? Despite the horror of it, despite the
brutal war, it turns out getting my legs blown off was probably the
best thing to ever happen to me. It made me appreciate life in a new
way, discover new abilities, experience a new vitality. In fact, only
through getting my legs blown off do I finally feel truly alive, and
what's more, I actually feel sorry for people who don't get to
experience life this way.

That's what he said. More or less.

Now, I don't always agree with this line of thinking. In fact, I
outwardly reject the idea that it's only through trauma, through pain
or suffering that you truly grow or learn, find your creative thrust
or the "true" meaning of life. It's certainly one way, it's certainly
often wildly effective, it's certainly the way it has to happen for
some people before they finally wake up, but it's far from the only
way.

But then, as I'm watching footage of this kid waterskiing and
climbing
mountains and grinning like crazy on his skinny metal prosthetics, I
realized, well now, what an absolutely perfect analogy for our
mauled,
tattered, shell-shocked nation at this very moment in time.

Ain't it so? Because America has, figuratively speaking, had its legs
blown off at the knee. We have been hobbled and traumatized and
numbed, our once indestructible ego ripped away, had our entire moral
and ethical infrastructure blasted out from under us in the most
bloody and irresponsible and ignoble way possible.

And the primary explosive that did it? A deadly and useless war.
Wait,
that's not quite right. It was the inept leaders and disastrous
reasoning behind the war, the pathetic cadre of hawks and neocons and
insular kill-'em-all demagogues in the Bush Administration who veered
the nation so far off course we ended up in a bloody ditch just
outside Purgatory, a place teeming with recession and torture and
homophobia, Patriot Acts and surveillance and fear.

And so, like this kid who actually thanked the fates for blowing his
legs off, I'm here to suggest that maybe it's time we offered up some
sort of warped, tentative thanks to George W. Bush, for all the
appalling trauma he hath wreaked upon us. Maybe he is, in a slightly
nauseating way, the best thing that ever happened to us. You think?

Maybe he's exactly what we needed. Maybe Bush's brand of
frighteningly
inept politicking has been just the right kind of sociocultural
emetic
to induce a true purge of our congested system, just the thing to
finally snap us out of our lethargy. Hell, sometimes you gotta go
deep
into the darkness to realize just how much you need the light.

So thank you, George, for exemplifying and embodying everything
that's
wrong with the neocon agenda, for serving as the final death knell of
the failed conservative movement, of a once-noble Republican Party
that's run out of ideas and has turned bitter and nasty and paranoid.

Thank you, Dubya, for setting the stage for Obama and Hillary.
Because
the truth is, even as recently as eight years ago, if you'd have
asked
if we as a nation would be anywhere near ready for a female or black
president, it would have felt incredibly premature, a good 20 years
off before we could entertain such an idea. But so potent has been
the
recoil against everything you stood for — the misogyny, homophobia,
classism, fear of "the other," of foreigners and minorities and
alternative beliefs — that we are ready to be inspired and
reinvigorated sooner than anyone thought possible.

Thank you for your embarrassing rejection of science, your refusal to
support any climate change initiative, for furthering the war-for-oil
agenda, for blocking stem-cell research, for serving all your masters
in Big Energy, Big Agribusiness, Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Auto.
Thanks
for gutting the Constitution and front-loading the courts and trying
to hack away at women's rights, gay marriage, privacy rights and on
and on.

Because it turns out, inviting all that darkness and corruption and
holding back all the energy of progress and change is less about
hastening the Second Coming (sorry, better luck next time), and more
like pulling back on a slingshot. It just gets tighter and tighter
and
the pressure builds until eventually you just gotta let go, and then
boom — or I should say, Obama.

Now, this is not to say it can't all happen again. History is,
unfortunately, a very bitchy and unreliable teacher. I'm guessing
there were plenty of people who, post-Nixon, were saying, well thank
God we'll never go through that again, we've sure learned our lesson.
I mean, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and, um, fool me ...
won't get fooled again.

We'll just have to see. For now, the bleeding is slowing, we are
finally getting up off the sickbed, testing our shiny new
prosthetics,
hobbling toward the new. Soon, maybe we'll learn to run, ski, climb
mountains, even dance on the international stage again with something
resembling grace and renewed self-respect.

We might even say, you know what? It turns out getting our political,
moral and spiritual legs blown off was the best thing that ever
happened to us. Dubya actually did us a huge favor. Can you imagine?
end

Peace,
Doc

Old July 3rd 08, 02:29 PM posted to alt.politics,alt.politics.democrats,alt.politics.republican,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

Default Verizon dumps 26457 alt.* NGs, as promised

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:28:35 -0400, Scotius wrote:

In article ,
says...
As I'd warned a couple of days ago, Usenet browsers will find, after
having their client do a directory refresh, that Verizon has indeed
dumped ALL alt.* (and anything that isn't in the "Big 8") newsgroups
from their servers. Time-Warner has supposedly shut down Usenet
servers entirely, but I cannot verify that at this time.

That's it..."anarchists-lunatics-trolls" is toast.

Then wouldn't alt.politics be cancelled as well? snip

It is, on Verizon's servers, as well as a bunch of others. Just
because you see alt.whatever on your server doesn't mean that many
of the big "freebie" servers quit carrying it.

You need to get a more clear picture of how Usenet works.