Overlooked Book - Modern Library First of Catcher in the Rye

Old August 6th 11, 06:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Overlooked Book - Modern Library First of Catcher in the Rye

A few months ago, I bought a box of books sight unseen for a
small amount. It contained 15 - 20 Modern Library books
along with a few others. I did not pay a lot of attention
to those books, but put some on the shelves and set others
aside to file away in the extras area.

One of those that was sitting in a pile to go to my extras
until a couple days ago was Salinger's Catcher in the Rye.
It was then that it struck me what excellent condition the
book - and dust jacket - were in. I opened it and found to
my surprise that it was a stated Modern Library First of the
book, from 1958, 7 years after the true first edition. My
second surprise came when I saw the asking prices for this
book. It is now going onto the regular shelves.

--
Francis A. Miniter

Mesure is Medicine þauh þou muche ȝeor[n]e.
Al nis not good to þe gost þat þe bodi lykeþ,
Ne lyflode to þe licam þat leof is to þe soule.

William Langland, The Vision of Piers Plowman
Passus I, lines 33 - 35
Old August 16th 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

Modern Library "firsts" could make an interesitng sideline of a
collection...

I see my copy of Trollope's THE WAY WE LIVE NOW is a ML first, and
it's one for which I saved the jacket. (Don't ask me why, but most of
my ML jackets were tossed.) You don't get many Trollope first
printings for $11.95!
Old August 16th 11, 07:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

Now you've got me started, Francis!

My copy of A. Edward Newton's famed THE AMENITIES OF BOOK-COLLECTING
is a 1935 ML first. The author wrote a new introduction for this
edition. (This is back when they were not-really hardcovers.) The most
recent one I've found is the new translation of Jules' Verne's
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

Modern Library Sighting Bob F.[_4_] Books 4 April 16th 09 11:30 PM
Modern Library Opinion krik999 Books 22 August 17th 05 12:31 AM
Catcher in the Rye "Book Club" query... Jbrodie1750 Books 3 November 22nd 04 11:50 PM
Modern Library: new collector BookEditions Books 2 March 10th 04 10:50 PM
Modern Library Editions mlbookie Books 2 November 25th 03 02:23 AM