A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Rowe R88 selection problem

Old January 13th 16, 06:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Rowe R88 selection problem

Greetings,

My R88 started exhibiting some strange behavior lately, it is playing the record a few beyond the one selected on the keypad.

I have noticed, when first powering it on or when flipping the service switch off and then fully on again, the initial revolution of the carousel now goes 101 positions, e.g. if the carousel is in position 25 when off, turning it on causes the carousel to revolve fully but going one extra position to stop on position 26.

Each subsequent record selected makes this worse, e.g. four records selected and it is now off by five or more. Sometimes the number of extra slots added is random/more than just one.

Switching the service switch off and on again resets this offset to just being off by one, but I can no longer get the juke to play the selected record at any time.

I swapped out the mech controller this morning but nothing changed. I will swap the CCC tonight.

I am hoping it is not the opto because that looks like something that is hard to replace... that is placed behind the turntable at the bottom of the mech, yes?

Has anyone seen this problem before? Could it be something besides the CCC or the opto?

Thanks,
-Chuck
Ads
Old January 14th 16, 12:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson
external usenet poster

On 01/13/2016 9:56 AM, wrote:
Greetings,

My R88 started exhibiting some strange behavior lately, it is playing the record a few beyond the one selected on the keypad.

I have noticed, when first powering it on or when flipping the service switch off and then fully on again, the initial revolution of the carousel now goes 101 positions, e.g. if the carousel is in position 25 when off, turning it on causes the carousel to revolve fully but going one extra position to stop on position 26.

Each subsequent record selected makes this worse, e.g. four records selected and it is now off by five or more. Sometimes the number of extra slots added is random/more than just one.

Switching the service switch off and on again resets this offset to just being off by one, but I can no longer get the juke to play the selected record at any time.

I swapped out the mech controller this morning but nothing changed. I will swap the CCC tonight.

I am hoping it is not the opto because that looks like something that is hard to replace... that is placed behind the turntable at the bottom of the mech, yes?

Has anyone seen this problem before? Could it be something besides the CCC or the opto?

Thanks,
-Chuck

Hi Chuck,

If it is stopping one beyond the selected CD and the adjustments are
correct, then check the SPRAG wheel for gear damage...I still have a few
of those left AIR.

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
Old January 14th 16, 12:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks, John - if I need to take the entire mech out I'll be sure to give the sprag a good, close look.

-Chuck
Old January 14th 16, 12:37 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Thanks, John - if I need to take the entire mech out I'll be sure to give the sprag a good, close look.

-Chuck
Hello Chuck,

As John check out the sprag wheel to see if the teeth on the gear are damaged, also check out the stem bushing to make sure they have not rotted (usually happens when people lubricate the mechanism) or become brittle.

Check the pricing board for any dry joints (cold joints USA) to the top and bottom connections, all lines of data go through this board.

Remove the opto switch and clean it, also clean the gear that this reads to make sure there is no build up of dirt, this would effect the opto switch.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Old January 15th 16, 01:45 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson View Post
On 01/14/2016 3:37 AM, Alan Hood wrote:
;697646 Wrote:
Thanks, John - if I need to take the entire mech out I'll be sure to
give the sprag a good, close look.

-Chuck

Hello Chuck,

As John check out the sprag wheel to see if the teeth on the gear are
damaged, also check out the stem bushing to make sure they have not
rotted (usually happens when people lubricate the mechanism) or become
brittle.

Check the pricing board for any dry joints (cold joints USA) to the top
and bottom connections, all lines of data go through this board.

Remove the opto switch and clean it, also clean the gear that this reads
to make sure there is no build up of dirt, this would effect the opto
switch.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Hi Alan,

Where are you in the UK? I plan on flying over there some year and would
like to drop by your shop if possible.

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
Hi John,

Please send a pm or email me and I will give you the details.
Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Old January 15th 16, 06:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks, Alan and John, for the tips.

Looks like I need to clear an afternoon to remove the TT from the juke to give it a thorough once over.

Sounds like lubricating the mech leads to more problems than it solves, but if I clean some parts as part of the troubleshooting is there a safe way to restore smooth running if I find my cleaning has introduced some friction related issues?

-Chuck