Help with identification of a book. T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets.

Old April 23rd 11, 05:17 PM
RobT0 RobT0 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Birmingham, UK
Default Help with identification of a book. T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets.

Having a clear out and I have discovered a copy of The Four Quartets as a single volume. No dust jacket and the spine is crushed. The spine has, in faded gold capitals, the book title and the word Faber. (The publisher.)
On the inside someone has hand written in ink a name and address and a date November 1944.
The inside cover indicates it is Faber and Faber, London. The date is Mcmxliv which I take to mean 1944. Is this a first edition UK copy?
This is because there is no other indication on it, so I would assume so.
Any help confirming this would be useful. Additionally it would be useful to have an insurance value ...
Thanks kindly.
Old April 23rd 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 4/23/2011 12:17 PM, RobT0 wrote:
Having a clear out and I have discovered a copy of The Four Quartets as
a single volume. No dust jacket and the spine is crushed. The spine has,
in faded gold capitals, the book title and the word Faber. (The
publisher.)
On the inside someone has hand written in ink a name and address and a
date November 1944.
The inside cover indicates it is Faber and Faber, London. The date is
Mcmxliv which I take to mean 1944. Is this a first edition UK copy?
This is because there is no other indication on it, so I would assume
so.
Any help confirming this would be useful. Additionally it would be
useful to have an insurance value ...
Thanks kindly.

The poems constituting The Four Quartets first appeared
individually in pamphlet form from Faber between 1940 -
1942. That would be the true first.

In 1943, Harcourt first published the Four Quartets as a
collected work in America. The first British publication of
the collected work was in 1944 by Faber. Now it appears
that two printings were made in 1944. There may be
information on the copyright page which clarifies the issue.

To be sure which printing you have, you should consult
Donald Gallup, T. S. Eliot: A Bibliography (1954).

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen

T.S.Eliot Four Quartets edition help [email protected] Books 1 December 3rd 08 06:08 PM
FA: 1-Day, Persian Rugs Identification Book, C.J. Delabere May fishnet General 0 May 21st 06 04:42 PM
FA: Persian Rugs Identification Book, by C.J. Delabere May fishnet General 0 May 16th 06 12:33 AM
_George Eliot's Works_ Joe Smith Books 8 October 22nd 03 12:12 PM
FA: Firearms Identification 2-Vol Book Set, J. Mathews, c. '62 buckeyeweb General 0 August 14th 03 02:20 AM