Help loose 3 prong Sound input plug at bottom of amp.

Old October 19th 10, 08:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dave27

Default Help loose 3 prong Sound input plug at bottom of amp.

I found it was moving and causing a loud hum for a second, or
sometimes I would lose the base,then I would wiggle it and all was
good again. Well it kept happening and I bent the prongs out just
slightly,well I thought I had it fixed then last night when I was
selecting a song I think it shook it enough to make a loud hum for a
second. Any tricks to fix this or do I need to install a new 3 prong
plug or a new 3 prong socket.Also is there any place that sells these
items I cant find one....Thankyou Dave.....oh What about putting a a
small film of soldier on each pin to make it fit tighter or cleaning
the holes the 3 prongs go in with something....thanks in
advance....Dave
Old October 20th 10, 02:38 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

On Oct 19, 2:38*pm, Dave27 wrote:
I found it was moving and causing a loud hum for a second, or
sometimes I would lose the base,then I would wiggle it and all was
good again. Well it kept happening and I bent the prongs out just
slightly,well I thought I had it fixed then last night when I was
selecting a song I think it shook it enough to make a loud hum for a
second. Any tricks to fix this or do I need to install a new 3 prong
plug or a new 3 prong socket.Also is there any place that sells these
items I cant find one....Thankyou Dave.....oh What about putting a a
small film of soldier on each pin to make it fit tighter or cleaning
the holes the 3 prongs go in with something....thanks in
advance....Dave

Dave, that plug is a variant of the Amphenol MC3M which was a cord
mounted mic plug, common to older (1940-s to late 70's) Shure mics.
The only difference is that here they just use a simple shell instead
of the heaver threaded shell as used on mics. Bogen used them on their
P-A amps until the early 80s.

These plugs -rarely- cause problems. You should check for a broken
wire to the solder connections on both male and female. Check also for
widened connector tabs in the chassis female. Use a tiny screwdriver
or metal pick to gently move them slightly closer. Clean with contact
cleaner such as available from Rat Shack #64-4345. You can also add a
'little' solder to the outside of the pins to widen them.

A more radical solution is to replace the whole business with male and
female RCA plugs.

Rob