12AX7 In Seeburg Amps

Old July 4th 08, 12:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
DesotoFireflite

Default 12AX7 In Seeburg Amps

I have a 222 that I am replacing the 6, 12AX7 tubes. After looking at the
internet, it is getting somewhat confusing. I want something that will
enhance the toneal qualities and yet won't break the bank. I was thinking
about getting a matched set of GE JAN 12AX7's. Any ideas on this or any other
brands. The only stipulation is that I don't want to use substatutes.

Thanks

.... Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
Valhalla Home Services! - Over 100 Online Games! - telnet://valhalla.synchro.net
Old July 4th 08, 01:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
E M F

"1957 DesotoFireflite 345 CID " scribbled;

"DesotoFireflite" -523-this
wrote in message ...

I have a 222 that I am replacing the 6, 12AX7 tubes. After looking at the
internet, it is getting somewhat confusing. I want something that will
enhance the toneal qualities and yet won't break the bank. I was thinking
about getting a matched set of GE JAN 12AX7's. Any ideas on this or any
other
brands. The only stipulation is that I don't want to use substatutes.

Thanks

... Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
Valhalla Home Services! - Over 100 Online Games! -
telnet://valhalla.synchro.net

Did you re-cap the amp????? to enhance the sound replace interstage
coupling caps with "Orange Drop" 715P 's use .47uf instead of .05uf
leave phono "EQ" and tone control values the same add more "uf" to the
power
supply ..................GC..........392hemi

Old July 5th 08, 05:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Doyle

If your 12AX7 tubes are working, leave them in. You can make sure they're
not microphonic by gently tapping them with a pencil eraser.

If you do buy some 12AX7 tubes, don't fall for the hype. Any well made
working tube that's not microphonic will perform well in a jukebox. A JAN
tube would be good quality. No need to spend a fortune.
Matched set of preamp tubes? Never heard of it.
In your jukebox, there is no big need for even matching the output tubes.

If the amp is original and the caps have not been changed, resistors
checked, etc., you will more than likely burn up the transformers and have a
smoky expensive mess.

Ken D.

Old July 5th 08, 07:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

DesotoFireflite wrote:
I have a 222 that I am replacing the 6, 12AX7 tubes. After looking at the
internet, it is getting somewhat confusing. I want something that will
enhance the toneal qualities and yet won't break the bank. I was thinking
about getting a matched set of GE JAN 12AX7's. Any ideas on this or any other
brands. The only stipulation is that I don't want to use substatutes.

Thanks

The 222 certainly is not a winner in tonal quality or volume even when
rebuilt properly by a shop. The speakers are only two woofers mounted on
a piece of wood with no baffling or acoustic properties at all - behind
a metal grill! If you want better sound quality, get some external
speakers and disconnect the internal ones!

As said before buying expensive tubes is a total waste of money - and if
your amplifier has not been rebuilt in the past ten years chances are it
really needs s serious overhaul with new capacitors and a number of
resistors to recover enough to sound as good as when it was made.

If you want GOOD sound quality from a 50's Seeburg track down a HF100R -
you won't be disappointed, even though it is mono, truly great sound
from a machine of that vintage!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old July 5th 08, 09:50 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
DesotoFireflite

To: Ken Doyle
12AX7 In Seeburg Amps
By: Ken Doyle to alt.collecting.juke-boxes on Sat Jul 05 2008 12:03 am

If your 12AX7 tubes are working, leave them in. You can make sure they're
not microphonic by gently tapping them with a pencil eraser.

Thanks, I will check that

A JAN tube would be good quality. No need to spend a fortune.

Great, that was the answer I was looking for

If the amp is original and the caps have not been changed, resistors
checked, etc., you will more than likely burn up the transformers and have a
smoky expensive mess.

Both the amp and the TSU have been compleatly done a few weeks ago. I was
more or less looking for spares and to get a little better sound. The mid
range segments of the records sound muffled and hard to understand. I may
invest in some good remote speakers.

Thanks for the response

Old July 5th 08, 09:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
DesotoFireflite

To: John Robertson
12AX7 In Seeburg Amps
By: John Robertson to alt.collecting.juke-boxes on Sat Jul 05 2008 06:06 am

a metal grill! If you want better sound quality, get some external
speakers and disconnect the internal ones!

Thanks, I was thinking of getting some external speakers anyway, this just
reinforced the idea.

Old July 5th 08, 04:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

The Seeburg 222 is about the worst sounding jukebox , i dont know what
they were thinking .

Old July 6th 08, 02:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dave Beck

On Jul 5, 11:22*am, (Ken G.) wrote:
The Seeburg 222 is about the worst sounding jukebox , i dont know what
they were thinking .

Could try a new pair of diamond needles. Cost a few bucks, but they do
make a difference.
Old July 6th 08, 03:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
DesotoFireflite

To: Dave Beck
12AX7 In Seeburg Amps
By: Dave Beck to alt.collecting.juke-boxes on Sun Jul 06 2008 06:04 am

Could try a new pair of diamond needles. Cost a few bucks, but they do
make a difference.

Ordered them yesterday. I think I have some microphonics going on also. It's
prob just one tube, but it gets worse when your turn it up. I am going to do
some exploring next week. Thanks

Old July 9th 08, 02:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

Needles wont help either . They just plain made a poor amplifier for
that one . Maybe that cabinet rattled so bad they put in a wimpy amp :-)
If i had to own one of those 222`s i would adapt in a modern amp
somehow without removing the original .. Or try some kind of booster EQ
right off the cartridge into the amps input but that amp may just reject
that due to its auto level circuitry .

AMI F & G AMPs map55b Juke Boxes 2 July 18th 07 09:00 AM
FS: Large lot of 50's Seeburg amps and receivers at Coinopwarehouse Coinopwarehouse Juke Boxes 0 October 10th 05 12:19 AM
FA: Misc. Seeburg parts & amps barthel Juke Boxes 0 June 1st 05 01:17 PM
Transistor needed 2N591 used in Seeburg DS160 Amps Al Last Juke Boxes 2 November 22nd 04 02:56 PM