Albino postal stationery

Old February 10th 04, 09:30 PM
Ada Prill

Default Albino postal stationery

I recently got a lot containing a U.S. 1c circular die stamped envelope with
an albino impression. The impression is quite faint and completely free of
ink - probably was made when one piece of paper slipped behind another so
the top piece got all of the ink and most of the embossing. I checked a few
websites and also looked at eBay, but I found very few comparable items -
mine is a window envelope in the smaller size - just a little longer than a
modern US First Day Cover.

Anybody have an idea of the value? - I'll probably put it in an APS circuit
book rather than on eBay, since a scan would look an awful lot like a plain
envelope - really has to be seen.

Ada

Old February 11th 04, 09:21 PM
Albumen

I find the albino's in used condition to be the most curious.

Otherwise, in unused condition it's hard to say. For these types of issues I
believe they sell at a discount?? The stationary collectors are most
particular about condition and printing errors as these are not that
uncommon.

-a

Old February 12th 04, 02:21 AM
Dave Kent

If I recall the old stamped envelope printing process correctly, the paper that
was cut to shape, run through the printing/embossing press and then folded into
envelopes (that's why the embossing doesn't go through to the back of the
envelope). Albinos occured when two sheets of paper went through the press at
the same time, stuck together. Both got embossed but only the top one got the
ink. Apparently this was a common problem for albinos seem to be fairly common.
They aren't as spectacular as other errors, and don't seem to command a big
premium, maybe a few dollars unless the basic envelope is scarce. A used albino
would be a different matter, as most postal clerks wouldn't notice the
colorless embossed stamp. I can picture some interesting auxiliary markings.
I'm told that the albino is a thing of the past. Today's stamped envelopes,
even if embossed, are made from a continuous roll of paper so two can't go
through the press together.
Old February 12th 04, 02:57 AM
Ada Prill

Hi, Dave,

Yes, that must have been the way my albino was made, as on the inside of the
envelope you can see the mirror image of a corner card from a California
bank. So both the embossing and the corner card printing must have been done
before the folding, and the ink from the corner card of the sheet below this
one crocked off on the albino. Even if it's worthless, it sure is
interesting.

Ada