Dollar coins incident.

Old April 3rd 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
clarkent

Default Dollar coins incident.

While at the post office I was assisting a woman who was having a
problem operating the stamp vending machine (yes, this branch still has
one). When she received her change, she was annoyed at the 10, one
dollar coins she had gotten back in change. I bought the 4 sbas and 6
sacs from her. She was very happy to get a ten dollar bill and just did
not want to carry around those dollar coins. I spent these, doing my
part to circulate the dollar coin. But with the average person shunning
them I do not see them ever catching on with the general public. BTW, at
the drug store the cashier placed the coins in the till with the one
dollar bills. It seems for this cashier, finding room in the drawer was
not a problem. All the sacs were pretty fugly looking. The SBAs looked
better than the gray blotchy sacs did. Whatever alloy is being used on
the "golden dollar" coins turns ugly real quick. Have yet to come across
any pres dollars, and the only place I have received dollar coins in
circulation has been in change from this same vending machine. Any body
else get a dollar coin in circulation?
--

Best Regards, O.E.Pepper

"Behind every successful man is a very surprised mother-in-law"

http://www.peppercoins.50megs.com/index.html
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZoepepperQQhtZ-1

Old April 3rd 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Holmes

"clarkent" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I've NEVER gotten one in my change. I had to order a proof det, just to see
what they looked like.

Old April 3rd 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Apr 2, 8:04*pm, clarkent wrote:
[...]

I've never been offered a dollar coin in change, be it Ike, Susie B,
Sac or Prez.
If I spot one in a cashier's till, I may ask for it.
They always seem glad to be rid of them (and halves too).
You are 100% correct about the tarnishing of the so-called "golden"
dollars - the coins look cheap and hideous after only a short time in
circulation.
OTOH, the occasional Susie B's I get seem to have held up fairly well.

Old April 3rd 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:04:36 -0700, clarkent
wrote:

[...]

Once. Nay, twice. The first time was at Wallyworld when the diznee
dollars first came out. The second time was rather recently.

I've gotten one half dollar in change ever. I've gotten no $2 bills in
change ever.

I've *asked* for them from cashiers and bank tellers any number of
times, though.

Padraic

Old April 3rd 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Ive gotten $2s in change.

I have never gotten a half in change.

I get dollar coins all the time from the mass transit fare machines,
and I see them in registers frequently, Im assuming also from people
who get them at the machines. However, the cashier will always reach
for the bill as change.

My GF recently got 11 new pressies from the fare machine when she had
a 20$ and added 9$ to her fare card
Old April 3rd 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

My town has three post offices who give dollar coins in change. The
last time I received a half dollar in change was in highschool, and
that was in 1998.
Old April 3rd 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
radfine[_2_]

Every year I go to an electronics swap meet sponsored by a local amateur
radio club. As a "gimmick", they always give change back from admission in
uncirculated $2 bills. Other than this event, I don't think I've ever seen a
$2 bill in my regular change.

Old April 3rd 08, 08:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

My friend told me that at some strip bars, they give you a one 2
dollar bill with your change.

Old April 3rd 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article
,
RF wrote:

I've never been offered a dollar coin in change, be it Ike, Susie B,
Sac or Prez.

I've only ever received a dollar coin in change from a machine, never a
person.

If I spot one in a cashier's till, I may ask for it. They always seem
glad to be rid of them (and halves too).

They could "get rid" of them by giving them out as change. I've seen a
clerk, who is out of dollar bills but has some dollar coins, not be
able to figure out they could hand out dollar coins as change. I think
people in general view them as collectibles or "special" and not see
them as a regular coin to be used in everyday commerce.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old April 3rd 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Apr 3, 10:23*am, Paul Anderson wrote:
In article
,

*RF wrote:
I've never been offered a dollar coin in change, be it Ike, Susie B,
Sac or Prez.

I've only ever received a dollar coin in change from a machine, never a
person.

If I spot one in a cashier's till, I may ask for it. They always seem
glad to be rid of them (and halves too).

They could "get rid" of them by giving them out as change. *I've seen a
clerk, who is out of dollar bills but has some dollar coins, not be
able to figure out they could hand out dollar coins as change. *I think
people in general view them as collectibles or "special" and not see

Interesting point.
Cashiers accept dollar coins and half dollars and stick them in the
"junk" slot, never thinking to use them as change.
Same thing for $2 bills.

100 dollar coins kathy1945 Coins 12 February 24th 07 03:52 PM
Incident at coin shop leads to threat with knife, man dragged by a car stonej Coins 0 April 27th 06 02:23 PM
Fountain pen used as a lethal weapon in road rage incident Ron Wilbanks Pens & Pencils 41 May 30th 05 10:37 PM
DVD set:Complete SUPERBOWL38 /c UNCUT STREAKER Incident,+ Janet,commercials,etc! Who64 Football (US) 0 February 3rd 04 07:36 PM
Dollar Coins ?SBA/GD Malanutt 4 Life Coins 11 January 12th 04 04:27 PM