Canadian Coins

Old November 15th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.travel.misc, rec.collecting.coins
fly-girl

Default Canadian Coins

I am going to TORONTO in April and want to buy canadian currerncy.
mostly quarters, dimes, nickels, loonies and twonies NO PENNIES
please.

contact me at

Old November 15th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.misc,rec.collecting.coins
Hatunen

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:36:30 -0800 (PST), fly-girl
wrote:

I am going to TORONTO in April and want to buy canadian currerncy.
mostly quarters, dimes, nickels, loonies and twonies NO PENNIES
please.

Why? Just use an ATM card in Canada and then get change for the
bank notes.

Old November 15th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.misc,rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

wrote:

I am going to TORONTO in April and want to buy canadian currerncy.
mostly quarters, dimes, nickels, loonies and twonies NO PENNIES
please.

Why? Just use an ATM card in Canada and then get change for the
bank notes.

BTW, are there any pictures of what the proposed $5 Canadian coins
might look like? i.e., are they two-parters like the twonie?

BTW, I heard an American call the twonie a "dubloon". Is that
nickname in use in Canada?

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
Old November 16th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.travel.misc,rec.collecting.coins
Ken Tough

Paul Ciszek wrote:

BTW, I heard an American call the twonie a "dubloon". Is that
nickname in use in Canada?

You may be referring to the commemorative $1 Loonie bearing the image
of George Bush; the so called Dub-Loon.

--
Ken Tough
Old November 17th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.misc, rec.collecting.coins
fly-girl

i didn't bring POLITICS into this discussion and I wished you had not
done so...as far as I am concerned BTW all politicians are BLOOMING
IDIOTS.
Old November 17th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.misc, rec.collecting.coins
fly-girl

cannot get them in the states
Old November 17th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.misc,rec.collecting.coins
A.E. Gelat

You can, whatever "them" are.

Tony

Old November 17th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.misc,rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

According to Wikipedia, the minor (less than a loonie) Canadian
coins have steel cores. Are they magnetic? If not, why not?
The article does not list chromium as a constituent, which it
would have to be if the cores were stainless steel.

Old November 18th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.misc,rec.collecting.coins
Peter Irwin

In rec.collecting.coins Paul Ciszek wrote:
According to Wikipedia, the minor (less than a loonie) Canadian
coins have steel cores. Are they magnetic? If not, why not?
The article does not list chromium as a constituent, which it
would have to be if the cores were stainless steel.

Yes, they are magnetic.

Most recent cents are magnetic, but there have been some
after the change which appear to be plated zinc.
There have been some cupronickel 5-cent pieces as
recently as 2006.

I think it is a fairly low cost grade of steel which
is plated with either copper or nickel depending on
the denomination.

Peter.

Canadian spy coins [email protected] Coins 5 January 19th 07 04:03 AM
FS Canadian Coins [email protected] Coins 0 May 25th 05 12:36 AM
Canadian Coins HapMen Coins 5 September 13th 03 09:59 PM
Canadian coins Bob Coins 0 September 12th 03 01:48 PM