(RCSD) USPS is strange

Old October 27th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default (RCSD) USPS is strange

I received my bank statemnent yesterday bearing meter postage in the
amount of 00.437. Now being the US postage for a first class letter is
00.41 I was curious why the bank paid motr yhan the fist class rate.
Bank manager says USPS charges them a higher rate because of the
amount of mail that post. He stated that they stagger mailings so that
there is less than 40,000 pieces of mail otherwise the postage rate is
higher.
Bulk Rate clerk at the post office says hogwash, they do not charge a
higher rate because of the number of pieces. She did acknowledge there
was a 00.437 rate and stated thare are many rates for bulk mailers.
What I want to know is why do I get junk mail bearing 00.10 postage
and my bank has to pay more than the first class rate to mail their
statements. Forget the weight, the mail is less than one ounce.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old October 27th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 26, 9:43 pm, Ralphael1 wrote:
[...]

Ralph:

Did you check the USPS website?
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/dmm300_landing.htm

The $0.437 rate is for First Class letters (between 1 oz and 2 oz)
that have been presorted on the 5 digit zip code.
(Domestic Mail Manual - Section 233.1.0)

USPS Business Rates - Domestic

First-Class Mail Postcards

Automation Postcards
Rate Category Rate
5-Digit presort $0.191
3-Digit presort $0.204
AADC $0.208
Mixed AADC $0.220

Machinable Postcards
Rate Category Rate
Presorted $0.241
Single-Piece $0.260

Discount Letters and Cards - First Class
Weight 5-Digit presort 3-Digit AADC Mixed AADC
to 1 oz. $0.312 $0.334 $0.341 $0.360
to 2 oz $0.437 $0.459 $0.466 $0.485
to 3 oz $0.562 $0.584 $0.591 $0.610
to 3.5 oz $0.687 $0.709 $0.716 $0.735
Card Rate $0.191 $0.204 $0.208 $0.220

The card rate applies to each single and double postcard when
originally mailed.

There is an annual $175.00 presort mailing fee

Regards
Blair