New to group.....

Old December 14th 04, 01:23 AM
Jim Wild

Default New to group.....

I saw John Stone in here, so it must be ok. I am a coin collector!
However, I happened upon the currency thing via sellers other items.
Now, I am hooked on currency also. I like the fact that some of them
qualify as works of art. I have already ordered 150 bill spaces in
binder pages. I have to admit that I am hooked. Now I want bills from
200 differant countries. And the beauty is that they are dirt cheap.

My question is, is there a good site to identify foreign bills if I
don't know what they are?

Thanks, Jim

Old December 14th 04, 02:07 AM
Thomas Chao

Dirt cheap? The last 10-20 countries would probably cost you a fortune. I
have 288 countries. Still looking for 11 more countries. By the way, I just
gave my paper money website a new face lift. Those of you haven't been there
recently are invited to visit. http://tomchao.com

Old December 14th 04, 02:12 PM
notofilia.com

Hello Jim, I can help you with any questions you might have concerning
Colombian banknotes. If you have a chance you can look at my site
http://www.Notofilia.com. I just added a translator so you can browse
in English or Spanish. I'll have my Colombian and US banknote gallery
back up soon.

Yezid Acosta
Notofilia.com

Old December 14th 04, 10:50 PM
Jim Wild

I really like your site. Looks like I may doing some business with you
as soon as I get all ebay purchases sorted into some kind of order. I
suppose it will boil down to accumulating as many countries as possible
without busting the bank.

One question for you,,, The paper money binder pages? Will the 3 pocket
variety hold most size bills? Or are there some bills that require a
larger pocket?

Thanks, Jim

Old December 14th 04, 11:11 PM
Jim Wild

Actually Tom. I dought I will go after every country. I going to do this
at minimal expense. It seems like most of them are pretty cheap. I'll be
satisfied with 100 countries. Speaking of countries, the way places have
divided up and changed in recent times, it looks my old globe is now
obsolete. I have already bought bills from countries that I have no idea
existed or where they are. And I was once a geography type of guy. This
hobby will no dought force me to relearn the globe. How many countries
are there anyway? I would have said 217 if you asked me 15 years ago.
Now I have no idea.

Jim

Old December 15th 04, 12:56 AM
Thomas Chao

Hi Jim,
I counted 299 countries. The term "country" is used loosely here to mean
any recognized note-issuing authority, past and present. For example,
Central African States is counted as a "country" even though it's only a
bank that issues common currencies for member states. Same goes for European
Union. Due to shifting geopolitical boundaries, some countries are counted
more than once under different names. For example, Burma and Myanmar;
Belgian Congo, Congo Democratic Republic, and Zaire; Ceylon and Sri Lanka;
Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia and Zimbabwe.
More info is avalable on my website http://tomchao.com

Tom

Old December 15th 04, 08:06 PM
CrispUNC

Obviously you'll have an idea of what part of the world e.g. arabic, chinese
lettering etc., then best bet is to scan through the images in the Papermoney
Virtual Gallery on the website http://www.ibns.it/ the International Banknote
Society.

The Standard Catalog of World Paper Money (Krause Publications) is a good
investment. It contains a handy country identification guide and some handy
translators for numerals, dates etc.