Coin ID Please (this time with link)

Old April 10th 05, 02:09 AM
Eric Freeman

Default Coin ID Please (this time with link)

Hey all,

My girlfriend bought this coin the other day. It's about the size of a
Silver Eagle. Anybody know what it is or what it's made of?

Thanks in advance, and ignore the other post with the same question and no
link. I had a blonde moment.

Eric

http://myweb.cableone.net/VALSOK/chinese_coin.jpg

Old April 10th 05, 02:39 AM
James Higby

"Eric Freeman" wrote in message
Hey all,

My girlfriend bought this coin the other day. It's about the size of a
Silver Eagle. Anybody know what it is or what it's made of?

Thanks in advance, and ignore the other post with the same question and no
link. I had a blonde moment.

Eric

http://myweb.cableone.net/VALSOK/chinese_coin.jpg

It is apparently some kind of replica (but not a very good one) of the "Fat
Man" dollar issued by the Chinese Republic in "Year 3" (1914). Portrait is
that of Yuan Shih-kai. The three parallel lines above his forehead
represent the "3." The three characters in the rectangle behind his head
are not present on an original. On the reverse side is the Chinese symbol
for "5." I have no idea what it refers to.

James

Old April 10th 05, 03:06 AM
James Higby

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote in message

"Eric Freeman" wrote in message
Hey all,

My girlfriend bought this coin the other day. It's about the size of a
Silver Eagle. Anybody know what it is or what it's made of?

Thanks in advance, and ignore the other post with the same question and
no link. I had a blonde moment.

Eric

http://myweb.cableone.net/VALSOK/chinese_coin.jpg

It is apparently some kind of replica (but not a very good one) of the
"Fat Man" dollar issued by the Chinese Republic in "Year 3" (1914).
Portrait is that of Yuan Shih-kai. The three parallel lines above his
forehead represent the "3." The three characters in the rectangle behind
his head are not present on an original. On the reverse side is the
Chinese symbol for "5." I have no idea what it refers to.

James

After doing a bit of online research, I came across this:

The seller, claiming he is from China, has zero feedback, not a good sign.
He calls this a five-dollar coin, none of which were made with this design,
as far as I know.

James

Old April 10th 05, 03:27 AM
James Higby

[...]

Actually, upon looking again, I see the seller claims he is registered in
the Netherlands, but that the coin is in China. Hmmm...

James
'I've got a bad feeling about this'

Old April 10th 05, 05:35 AM
Eric Freeman

[...]

Thanks for the info. I did a quick look in ebay but didn't find that
auction. Like the auction, this one has a lettered edge. At $5.99 with
shipping, the bidder is already paying more than my girlfriend did.

Eric

Old April 10th 05, 11:47 AM
James Higby

[...]

Um, Eric, if you didn't find the auction, how did you know about the
lettered edge and the current price?

James

Old April 10th 05, 02:17 PM
dmzcompute