Shipping Costs Ebay

Old October 23rd 05, 12:46 PM
Steven

Default Shipping Costs Ebay

I have noticed that many are complaining about the cost for shipping on
ebay. I for one have complained about shipping costs on a few of my
purchases and then was given negative feedback for doing so. I have a
business that I ship all the time, so I know what it costs to ship items. Of
course anyone can go to USPS or UPS sites and figure out the costs. With
that being said, the shipping is not the only part of that cost. I pack all
my items with extreme care, time, styrofoam packing, tape and packing labels
cost me money. I do not get this material free. The last time I checked gas
for the car for the trip to the Post Office or UPS did cost me money. I do
not charge fees were I make money. I charge a total price for what it costs
me in shipping and HANDLING. I know some people do over charge for the
items. Case in point a coin I just bought. Charged me $5.75. A flat rate
Priority Mail USPS charge would be $3.85. They sent it flat rate first class
for $1.75. Made another $4.00 off of me. I'm sorry it cost them $4.00 in
gas.

Old October 23rd 05, 01:39 PM
Sibirskmoneta

"Steven" wrote in message Case in point a coin I
just bought. Charged me $5.75. A flat rate
Priority Mail USPS charge would be $3.85. They sent it flat rate first
class for $1.75. Made another $4.00 off of me. I'm sorry it cost them
$4.00 in gas.

If I think the shipping is egregious, and often times it is, I factor that
into my bid. If it is too high, and will make my total cost too high, I
just won't bid. Period. I guess that is why I really don't buy a lot on
eBaY unless I really really want it. A lot of sellers use shipping costs as
a profit centre now.

Always look at the shipping cost before banging the bid key on eBaY.

Old October 23rd 05, 04:22 PM
RayCanada

I agree I find a lot of people now are playing games with shipping
costs. I take it into account when I bid, but do get very anoyed if I
paid for registered insured mail and comes to me as first class, I just
find though it's not worth my time to complain and go through the whole
E-Bay process.

I just don't buy from that person ever again. I have been able to
find some honest seller's and I just limit what I buy from them. I also
test a sellers honesty by checking the website for the mail carrier in
thier country if the price is fastly inflated I know not to buy from
them.

The thing I would love to see is E-bay work something out with the
different shipping companys so that thier rates are listed with or
conected to E-Bay so people can check if the seller is being honest on
that count. I would also like to see E-Bay make sellers have to show a
break down of what they are charging for postage and what is being
charged for other costs, either way if the shipping is too high the
seller does not get a sale from me and the ones who are honest get a
lot of repeat bussiness so in that case honesty pays.

Old October 23rd 05, 04:35 PM
clarkent

--
"I bought a book on how to get organized..but I can't seem to find it.."
"If I were any happier, I would have to be institutionalized."
"Steven" wrote in message
[...]

If you add $1.30 insurance plus $3.85 you get a total of $5.15. That
means they made 60 cents to cover all the other costs you listed. If you do
not send it priority mail people will complain. That has been my experience.
Again I would tell anybody to simply take into account the mailing and
handling when setting your high bid. If other bidders do not mind the
"excessive costs" and outbid you ... there is the classic free market place
at work.
Best Regards, O.E.Pepper

Old October 23rd 05, 04:45 PM
Jonathan_ATC

"Steven" wrote in message
[...]

I almost always offer two shipping options for my prospective buyers. One
is actual cost to ship First Class + a small handling/packaging fee. Bubble
envelopes cost me about $0.50. I know I could get them for less in bulk,
but I don't use very many in a year and can't store 100 of them to save
$0.25 each.
The other option is Priority Mail for $3.85. I don't charge a handling fee
or packaging fee because Priority Mail boxes and envelopes are free to me.
I find that about half go for the First Class and half go for Priority Mail.
No one has EVER complained about my shipping costs. I think letting them
make the decision is paramount to having a happy customer.

Jonathan_ATC

Old October 23rd 05, 06:10 PM
FJG

Steven wrote:
I have noticed that many are complaining about the cost for shipping on
ebay.

Snip
I know some people do over charge for the
items. Case in point a coin I just bought. Charged me $5.75. A flat rate
Priority Mail USPS charge would be $3.85. They sent it flat rate first class
for $1.75. Made another $4.00 off of me. I'm sorry it cost them $4.00 in
gas.

Its not just coins that have a excessive shipping charge check items
such as PDA,s Cellphones Persian carpets. Its another way of avoiding
ebay fees.
Old October 23rd 05, 10:09 PM
Dylan

The last coin we bought on Ebay came with an $8 charge for Priority Mail
Insured with Delivery Confirmation and $1.30 extra for insurance. The
seller shipped it First Class Mail Insured with no DC for $5.87. We knew
the charge up front (so it was factored in our bid price) but the seller did
not live up to how they stated they were going to ship the coins, that is
what irratates me. They coins were great, but not the shipping.

Pete Z
www.dylancoins.com

oups.com...

Old October 23rd 05, 10:40 PM
Jim Seymour

clarkent wrote:
If you do not send it priority mail people will complain. That has
been my experience.

I am exactly the opposite. Most of the coins I buy are in the $10
range, so the extra couple of bucks that Priority mail costs isn't worth
it to me. Besides, my experience says that priority mail isn't
significantly faster for most parts of the country.

Some sellers see priority mail as a great advantage because they get
shipping material for free. Sorry, but a bubble envelope costs less
than 50 cents - so a typical coin can be easily shipped first class for
under $2.00 total. Any S/H charge above that is simply money being
taken from the seller's pocket and given to the USPS.

--
Jim Seymour
Old October 23rd 05, 11:13 PM
Nick Knight

In , on 10/23/2005
at 02:40 PM, Jim Seymour said:

Some sellers see priority mail as a great advantage because they get
shipping material for free. Sorry, but a bubble envelope costs less than
50 cents - so a typical coin can be easily shipped first class for under
$2.00 total. Any S/H charge above that is simply money being taken from
the seller's pocket and given to the USPS.

Right, "free" to the seller, he just passes the cost of that very expensive
box to the buyer. I see this as lazy, and if there isn't another shipping
options, I consider passing. Sometimes I can't (pass), but it certainly is
a big negative to me.

From some items, particularly larger/heftier ones, the difference between
parcel post and PM starts to deminish. At least a little.

Nick
Old October 24th 05, 12:25 AM
Jonathan_ATC

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
In , on 10/23/2005
at 02:40 PM, Jim Seymour said:

Some sellers see priority mail as a great advantage because they get
shipping material for free. Sorry, but a bubble envelope costs less

than
50 cents - so a typical coin can be easily shipped first class for under
$2.00 total. Any S/H charge above that is simply money being taken from
the seller's pocket and given to the USPS.

Right, "free" to the seller, he just passes the cost of that very

expensive
box to the buyer. I see this as lazy, and if there isn't another shipping
options, I consider passing. Sometimes I can't (pass), but it certainly

is
a big negative to me.

From some items, particularly larger/heftier ones, the difference between
parcel post and PM starts to deminish. At least a little.

Nick

This is why I offer both shipping methods on almost all my auctions. It
gives the buyer a choice. Also, I pick First Class as the method that
automatically shows up when they hit the "Pay Now" button. They have to ASK
to get Priority Mail. As I said before, about half opt for First Class and
half for Priority Mail.

I almost always ask for Priority Mail on items where the seller is already
asking $5+ for shipping. If I am going to pay that much, I want the item in
2 days.

Jonathan_ATC