Mary Cassatt without a Coat

Old January 5th 04, 03:27 PM
Gordon Lee

Default Mary Cassatt without a Coat

Greetings rcsd'ers.
..
Here's a newbie type question:
..
The Scott 2003 Specialized Catalogue designates five different 23 cent,
purple, Mary Cassatt stamps of the Great American Issue of 1980-1999. They
..
(1) 2181 -- large block tagging with dull gum.
..
(2) 2181a -- overall tagging with dull gum.
..
(3) 2181b -- prephosphored coated paper (solid tagging) with dull gum.
..
(4) 2181c -- prephosphored uncoated paper (mottled tagging) with shiny
gum.
..
and (5) 2181d -- tagging omitted.
..
Would an unused 2181d have dull gum or shiny gum?
..
The catalogue must be returned to the public library soon, so a rapid
response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
..
Respectfully,

Gordon Lee
Great Fritain Royal Memorabilia & Dog Eared Catalogue Emporium
All my outgoing letters have been stamped and posted ... so now that's
another job licked.

Old January 5th 04, 05:04 PM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:27:00 GMT, "Gordon Lee"
wrote:

Greetings rcsd'ers.
.
Here's a newbie type question:
.
The Scott 2003 Specialized Catalogue designates five different 23 cent,
purple, Mary Cassatt stamps of the Great American Issue of 1980-1999. They
.
(1) 2181 -- large block tagging with dull gum.
.
(2) 2181a -- overall tagging with dull gum.
.
(3) 2181b -- prephosphored coated paper (solid tagging) with dull gum.
.
(4) 2181c -- prephosphored uncoated paper (mottled tagging) with shiny
gum.
.
and (5) 2181d -- tagging omitted.
.
Would an unused 2181d have dull gum or shiny gum?

Gordon - from what you mentioned, does it matter? Look at the other
examples - all are tagged.

The odd one out, "d", doesn't have tagging. So, if you find one
without tagging, it is "d". It is the exception.

This, according to Scott. YMMV.

Tracy Barber
Old January 5th 04, 06:33 PM
Gordon Lee

"Tracy Barber" kindly wrote:
"Gordon Lee" wrote:

Greetings rcsd'ers.
.
Here's a newbie type question:
.
The Scott 2003 Specialized Catalogue designates five different
23 cent, purple, Mary Cassatt stamps of the Great American Issue
of 1980-1999. They a
.
(1) 2181 -- large block tagging with dull gum.
(2) 2181a -- overall tagging with dull gum.
(3) 2181b -- prephosphored coated paper (solid tagging) with
dull gum.
(4) 2181c -- prephosphored uncoated paper (mottled tagging)
with shiny gum.
.
and (5) 2181d -- tagging omitted.
.
Would an unused 2181d have dull gum or shiny gum?

Gordon - from what you mentioned, does it matter? Look at the
other examples - all are tagged.

The odd one out, "d", doesn't have tagging. So, if you find one
without tagging, it is "d". It is the exception.

This, according to Scott. YMMV.

Tracy Barber

Greetings Mr. Barber.
..
Thank you Mr. Barber for your quick response.
..
My varying mileage tends to throw me off course quite often and that is why
it matters. [There's a thread in rcsd about color blind stamp collectors.
I wanted to ask if anybody knows of a 'blind' philatelist, and if they do,
how does that person cope. Failing eyesight is a concern of mine.]
..
Anyway, without a bunch of unused Mary Cassatts sitting about, tagged or
untagged, sipping tea (fennec or not), I have nothing to compare my single
unused block of four. With my feeble eyesight, I can detect (with the use
of the trusty Short Wave Ultra-Violet Lamp) no bright green glow as seen
emitting from a few of the other Great Americans I have stuffed away in a
cigar box. But there is a faint (very faint mind you) whitish glow from the
paper. Definitely there is no block or mottled tagging. Nor is there any
overall tagging, because the tagging would cease at the border of the
printed design. So, my reasoning being, if the exception "d" has shiny gum,
then my stamp cannot possibly be a poorly under-prephosphored coated "b"
with dull gum. I'd have a fifty-fifty chance of identifying my Ms. Cassatt
if rcsd'ers came back and said "d" has dull gum. In that case, for what
it's worth, I'd flip a coin and call her either "b" or "d", and then shove
her back into the cigar box until I got the gumption to try to identify her
again.
..
Importunely, comparing the faint white glow with known untagged stamps is
not helpful because the shades of paper are all different. What I was
really hoping for is a reader to reply that the "d" stamp can be readily
spotted because Mary has a wart on her nose or the "S" in "USA" is inverted.
insert smiley face here
..
Thanks again for helping me with my knuckleheaded question.
..
Respectfully,

Gordon Lee
Great Britain Royal Memorabilia & I C the Light Emporium
Identifying tagged stamps tend to glow on you.

Old January 5th 04, 06:39 PM
Gordon Lee

"Tracy Barber" kindly wrote:
"Gordon Lee" wrote:

Greetings rcsd'ers.
.
[...]

Unfortunately, comparing the faint white glow with known untagged stamps is

Old January 6th 04, 02:41 AM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:39:32 GMT, "Gordon Lee"
wrote:

"Tracy Barber" kindly wrote:
"Gordon Lee" wrote:

Greetings rcsd'ers.
.
[...]

Welcky...

My varying mileage tends to throw me off course quite often and that is why
it matters. [There's a thread in rcsd about color blind stamp collectors.
I wanted to ask if anybody knows of a 'blind' philatelist, and if they do,
how does that person cope. Failing eyesight is a concern of mine.]

You didn't mention that, of course. :^)

Anyway, without a bunch of unused Mary Cassatts sitting about, tagged or
untagged, sipping tea (fennec or not), I have nothing to compare my single
unused block of four. With my feeble eyesight, I can detect (with the use
of the trusty Short Wave Ultra-Violet Lamp) no bright green glow as seen
emitting from a few of the other Great Americans I have stuffed away in a
cigar box. But there is a faint (very faint mind you) whitish glow from the
paper. Definitely there is no block or mottled tagging. Nor is there any
overall tagging, because the tagging would cease at the border of the
printed design.

OK...

So, my reasoning being, if the exception "d" has shiny gum,
then my stamp cannot possibly be a poorly under-prephosphored coated "b"
with dull gum.

Because you mention it has no tagging, fails before you test it for
under-prephospored test.

I'd have a fifty-fifty chance of identifying my Ms. Cassatt
if rcsd'ers came back and said "d" has dull gum. In that case, for what
it's worth, I'd flip a coin and call her either "b" or "d", and then shove
her back into the cigar box until I got the gumption to try to identify her
again.

BUT! If you precieve no tagging, then why the gig? I'd say it was
"d" without a problem. Is it worth a world cruise? Then I'd
investigate further. Until then, into the box it goes!

Unfortunately, comparing the faint white glow with known untagged stamps is
not helpful because the shades of paper are all different. What I was
really hoping for is a reader to reply that the "d" stamp can be readily
spotted because Mary has a wart on her nose or the "S" in "USA" is inverted.
insert smiley face here

Nice try. Other than her getting far too many stamps in the past 50
years, I don't think there's a variety of that type out there. Give
it time. Some one will write Linns about the Cassatt in the hat
error.

(Someone in USPS must have the hots for Cassatt -or- got paid off.
Sheesh...) Far too many other notables have NOT been recognized.
(Jumps off soapbox.)

Thanks again for helping me with my knuckleheaded question.

Test some other GA circa that time period. Look for the white around
it as you mentioned. Picture frame tagging?

Anyway, best of luck with them. I haven't made any time to break out
the UV beat in some time. No doubt it needs batteries by now.

Back to finishing my auction for a local dealer! Sheesh...

Tracy Barber
Old January 6th 04, 09:02 AM
Rodney

| This, according to Scott. YMMV.
| Tracy Barber

YMMV
What does that mean Tracy?

Old January 6th 04, 02:58 PM
Gordon Lee

"Rodney" wrote:
"Tracy Barber" wrote:

| This, according to Scott. YMMV.
| Tracy Barber

YMMV
What does that mean Tracy?

Greetings Sir Rodney.
..
The most common meaning of "YMMV" is "your mileage may vary".
..
This is an automotive industry term to let customer know that a certain make
or model car is rated at X-number of miles per gallon ... but that gasoline
rating may differ depending on how a person drives (or circumstances in
which it is driven) you may experience either higher or lower petrol
consumption. Mr. Barber stated, by indicating the YMMV, that I can get
better or less benefit from using a stamp catalogue, depending on how I use
the catalogue. He is correct.
..
I may, however, be all wet. In that case, Mr. Barber can set me straight
and I will not take offense.
..
Respectfully,

Gordon Lee
Great Fritain Royal Memorabilia & Hit the Road Jack Emporium
My dog can lick anyone --- including their stamps.

Old January 6th 04, 04:09 PM
Tracy Barber

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:02:04 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

| This, according to Scott. YMMV.
| Tracy Barber

YMMV
What does that mean Tracy?

Your Mileage May Vary. :^)

Tracy Barber
Old January 6th 04, 04:10 PM
Tracy Barber

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:58:23 GMT, "Gordon Lee"
wrote:

"Rodney" wrote:
"Tracy Barber" wrote:

| This, according to Scott. YMMV.
| Tracy Barber

YMMV
What does that mean Tracy?

Greetings Sir Rodney.
.
The most common meaning of "YMMV" is "your mileage may vary".
.
This is an automotive industry term to let customer know that a certain make
or model car is rated at X-number of miles per gallon ... but that gasoline
rating may differ depending on how a person drives (or circumstances in
which it is driven) you may experience either higher or lower petrol
consumption. Mr. Barber stated, by indicating the YMMV, that I can get
better or less benefit from using a stamp catalogue, depending on how I use
the catalogue. He is correct.
.
I may, however, be all wet. In that case, Mr. Barber can set me straight
and I will not take offense.

Have no fear, kind sir! You're right on track.

Great Fritain Royal Memorabilia & Hit the Road Jack Emporium
My dog can lick anyone --- including their stamps.

Except my Spike! Well, that depends...

Tracy Barber
Old January 6th 04, 11:21 PM
Rodney