Why coins are cleaned

Old August 6th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

Default Why coins are cleaned

The vast majority of collectors will not buy dirty coins.
Steve

Old August 6th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
myxl55

The vast majority of non collectors think the more "shiny" the coin, the
more valuable it is, and cleaning them up increases their desirability.

Old August 6th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jeff

"Steve" wrote in message ...

The vast majority of collectors will not buy dirty coins.
Steve

The vast majority of those who report vast-majority statistics just make
'em up, so the vast majority of such reports are worthless.

Jeff
Old August 6th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
WheatPenny

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 00:09:47 -0700, jeff climbed
to the top of the minaret and sang out:

"Steve" wrote in message ...

The vast majority of collectors will not buy dirty coins.
Steve

The vast majority of those who report vast-majority statistics just make
'em up, so the vast majority of such reports are worthless.

Jeff

78% of statistics are just made up.
83% of people who quote statistics jsut make them up as they go
along...
---

God wouldn't recognize his own son the way they've got him dressed up
(Ray Bradbury)
Old August 6th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 22:43:52 -0400, Steve wrote:
The vast majority of collectors will not buy dirty coins.
Steve

Thanks, but we already have a troll.

Old August 6th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"oly" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 22:43:52 -0400, Steve wrote:
The vast majority of collectors will not buy dirty coins.
Steve

Thanks, but we already have a troll.

I don't know, I have seen/ found many times that a cleaned coin
(properly worked on, not "stripped" to the bare metal) will indeed sell
better.

The present market for Morgan Dollars could not exist without cleaned
coins, for that's what most "blast-white" pieces are!

oly

The market for "blast-white" pieces is a one-way market. Dealers are more
than happy to move them at high prices, but when it comes time for us to
sell them back, we hear, "Oh, I'm sorry, this has been cleaned and I don't
think it'll slab."

Mr. Jaggers

Old August 6th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Carney

"oly" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 22:43:52 -0400, Steve wrote:
The vast majority of collectors will not buy dirty coins.
Steve

Thanks, but we already have a troll.

I don't know, I have seen/ found many times that a cleaned coin
(properly worked on, not "stripped" to the bare metal) will indeed sell
better.

The present market for Morgan Dollars could not exist without cleaned
coins, for that's what most "blast-white" pieces are!

oly

Depends on your definition of cleaned. I define a cleaned coin as one that I
can see evidence of it's cleaning such as hairlines, impaired luster etc. A
light dip will generally leave no evidence whatsoever. A coin dipped enough
times can/will exhibit impaired luster which is definitely enough to deem
the coin "cleaned". I wouldn't go so far as to call all "blast-white"
Morgans cleaned. Many were found white in original Mint bags which sat in
storage for decades.

John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

Old August 6th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

John Carney wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

What you are describing is "badly cleaned". A lightly dipped silver
coin is still "cleaned", just not badly cleaned. And cleaned silver
coins abound in the U.S. coin market.

oly

Old August 6th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"oly" wrote in message
ups.com...

John Carney wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

Right you are, and some of them reside in most elegant slabs! But don't
tell anyone, it's considered a heresy, and you'll burn.

Mr. J.

Old August 6th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
A.E. Gelat

Most of the replies to this subject refer to just one facet of coin
collecting: Value for resale. The other is their sentimental value. I have
a complete set of the coins issued by my country of origin, and I want them
look at their best. They will never be sold; they are a family heirloom.
If sold in the uncleaned condition, they would fetch less than five dollars.

Tony

"oly" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 22:43:52 -0400, Steve wrote:
The vast majority of collectors will not buy dirty coins.
Steve

Thanks, but we already have a troll.

I don't know, I have seen/ found many times that a cleaned coin
(properly worked on, not "stripped" to the bare metal) will indeed sell
better.

The present market for Morgan Dollars could not exist without cleaned
coins, for that's what most "blast-white" pieces are!

oly

FYI: ASA-Accugrade files new suit in US District Court linxlvr Coins 207 January 31st 05 03:15 AM
Coin Books Dale Hallmark Coins 2 February 15th 04 08:03 PM
Counterfeit detection primer -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 51 February 15th 04 12:36 AM
Counterfeit detection primer -- periodic post Jim Coins 19 November 17th 03 05:37 AM
US Territories and... Grandpa Coins 29 September 22nd 03 08:11 PM