Soaking with hot water

Old November 8th 03, 02:19 AM
Grandpa

Default Soaking with hot water

What sort of adverse effect would hot water have as opposed to warm
water? I don't mean scalding boiling water but dishwater hot. Or is
the problem limited to old stamps only? I've tried it on a few of the
newer self sticks and it seems to work just fine.

Old November 8th 03, 03:09 AM
Tony Vella

Grandpa wrote:
What sort of adverse effect would hot water have as opposed to warm
water? I don't mean scalding boiling water but dishwater hot. Or is
the problem limited to old stamps only? I've tried it on a few of the
newer self sticks and it seems to work just fine.

A kilo of stamps in a zip-up laundry bag in the washing machine with a
hot/warm setting produced results that did not inspire confidence. Darn,
now you've gotten me thinking of the dishwasher ..... Hmmm! Veeery
interethting! lol

Seriously though, many years ago when I first started buying kilos on paper
from our local Bible House I tried hot water on a lot to get the job over
and done quickly - just hot water straight from the tap - and most of the
stamps and envelope pieces disintegrated. I have tried hot water recently on
mint Canadian self-sticks and they came off without damage leaving the gum
sticky and stretchy on the paper.
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

Old November 8th 03, 07:08 AM
Frank Emanuel

"Tony Vella" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Grandpa wrote:

Seriously though, many years ago when I first started buying kilos on

paper
from our local Bible House I tried hot water on a lot to get the job over
and done quickly - just hot water straight from the tap - and most of the
stamps and envelope pieces disintegrated. I have tried hot water recently

on
mint Canadian self-sticks and they came off without damage leaving the gum
sticky and stretchy on the paper.

Tony,

Does the Bible House still sell stamps on paper?

Frank

Old November 8th 03, 07:58 PM
Tony Vella

Frank Emanuel wrote:
"Tony Vella" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Grandpa wrote:

Seriously though, many years ago when I first started buying kilos
on paper from our local Bible House I tried hot water on a lot to
get the job over and done quickly - just hot water straight from
the tap - and most of the stamps and envelope pieces disintegrated.
I have tried hot water recently on mint Canadian self-sticks and
they came off without damage leaving the gum sticky and stretchy on
the paper.

Tony,

Does the Bible House still sell stamps on paper?

Frank

Up to the late 70s I collected British Commonwealth and always found lots of
stuff in the Bible House bags. Then I got rid of everything and kept only
my 3 India binders and didn't buy any more kilos. A friend of mine though
was still buying kilos from them not more than 5 years ago. He used to take
what he wanted and send the rest in a shoe box to the Children's Hospital of
Eastern Ontario. HTH. :-)
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

Old November 8th 03, 08:05 PM
John Mycroft

I use very hot water on early Germany and early Canada with excellent
results but watch out for stamps that are printed with water-soluble ink
(not all catalogs tell you that which is a shame). Also, don't use very hot
water if you are soaking off coloured paper or you are likely to wind up
with a bowl of pink / yellow / whatever stamps. Particularly bad are stamps
stuck to the type of airmail envelope with red and blue stripes round the
outside.

--
Cheers - John Mycroft

www.agands.com - in beautiful Asheville, NC

Old November 9th 03, 02:31 AM
Grandpa

Thanx, I've found stamps and just about anything red do not like each
otherG, be it cancels or envelopes. I read somewhere one should use
cold water for that and to place the stamp face down to minimize the
water soaking into the colored envelope.

Old November 10th 03, 08:58 PM
Albumen

Grandpa,

Cold water soaking does the job nicely most of the time. If first you
don't succeed then try the luke worm water. There is always the risk of
shrinking the paper or damaging the inks when you use hot water.

For colored stationary use a sweat box to safely lift the stamps.

-a

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
What sort of adverse effect would hot water have as opposed to warm
water? I don't mean scalding boiling water but dishwater hot. Or is
the problem limited to old stamps only? I've tried it on a few of the
newer self sticks and it seems to work just fine.

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
OT (very OT) a most disturbing site Dale Hallmark Coins 70 April 28th 04 03:38 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 09:18 PM
soaking kevin General Discussion 24 October 20th 03 03:09 PM
Soaking Stamps Jerry Bodoff General Discussion 3 October 11th 03 05:20 PM