Yesterdays change find...much better than average

Old August 6th 03, 06:16 PM
Bruce Hickmott

Default Yesterdays change find...much better than average

Greetings!

My wife works at a convience store/gas station combo and as such gets to handle
a lot of change. I've shown her how to quickly spot silver by looking at the
edges of the coins and she's got pretty good at it.

Last night, when she delivered her haul, I noted a 1965 dime in there.
Fortunately, I checked it before I mentioned her "oops". Good thing.

Because I now own a 1965 dime struck on a silver planchat. WaHoo! Anybody know
what that's worth? It grades VF.

Bruce

Old August 6th 03, 06:52 PM
Craton

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

Greetings!

My wife works at a convience store/gas station combo and as such gets to handle
a lot of change. I've shown her how to quickly spot silver by looking at the
edges of the coins and she's got pretty good at it.

Last night, when she delivered her haul, I noted a 1965 dime in there.
Fortunately, I checked it before I mentioned her "oops". Good thing.

Because I now own a 1965 dime struck on a silver planchat. WaHoo! Anybody know
what that's worth? It grades VF.

Bruce

That is a bad ass error! Better check with some of the big boys on
value.
Rich Schemmer at http://www.richerrors.com is a class act. I'd contact
him first.
--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------
Old August 6th 03, 07:26 PM
Linda

Holy toledo, batman. Wow.

"David Wang" wrote in message
Bruce Hickmott wrote:
Greetings!

My wife works at a convience store/gas station combo and as such gets

to handle
a lot of change. I've shown her how to quickly spot silver by looking at

the
edges of the coins and she's got pretty good at it.

Last night, when she delivered her haul, I noted a 1965 dime in there.
Fortunately, I checked it before I mentioned her "oops". Good thing.

Because I now own a 1965 dime struck on a silver planchat. WaHoo!

Anybody know
what that's worth? It grades VF.

http://www.pocketchangelottery.com/pocketchange.htm

"One recently found circulated example was sold at auction for
nearly $9000 in July 2003"

If this holds up, it's got to be one of the highest value thing
found in change that I have heard of.

Did you already use up your 4 freebie PCGS slabs?

There is a nice little vacation in that dime.

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com

Old August 6th 03, 07:30 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:14:00 +0000 (UTC), David Wang is alleged
to have written:

Bruce Hickmott wrote:
Greetings!

My wife works at a convience store/gas station combo and as such gets to handle
a lot of change. I've shown her how to quickly spot silver by looking at the
edges of the coins and she's got pretty good at it.

Last night, when she delivered her haul, I noted a 1965 dime in there.
Fortunately, I checked it before I mentioned her "oops". Good thing.

Because I now own a 1965 dime struck on a silver planchat. WaHoo! Anybody know
what that's worth? It grades VF.

http://www.pocketchangelottery.com/pocketchange.htm

"One recently found circulated example was sold at auction for
nearly $9000 in July 2003"

If this holds up, it's got to be one of the highest value thing
found in change that I have heard of.

Did you already use up your 4 freebie PCGS slabs?

There is a nice little vacation in that dime.

WOW! I never imagined. No, I haven't used my 4 free submissions, one of my coins
is at NCS. I suspect my selection of coins just changed.
Well, I'd rather spend it on a half cent than a vacation...but the wife will
certainly want the latter.

Bruce (Must remember to tell her about this someday)

Old August 6th 03, 08:12 PM
David Wang

Bruce Hickmott wrote:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:52:37 +0000 (UTC), David Wang is alleged
to have written:

http://www.heritagecoin.com/Auctions...p?s=328&l=9832

Heritage Baltimore Signature sale #328.

PCGS AU58 "Rare 1965 Dime struck on a silver planchet"

Realized $8913.

PCGS pop is 75, and NGC pop is 3. They're all UNC's though.

Still, the dearth of circ's may mean that the price roll off
for your VF coin shouldn't be too bad.

So I have the only "affordable" example. :-)

Send an email to CONECA, http://www.conecaonline.org

and/or Ken Potter, who used to read r.c.c.

Judging from the number of circ's in the PCGS report, finding
the 1965 dime struck on silver planchet is a very rare event,
and I'm sure they'd love to hear about it.

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old August 7th 03, 12:27 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

Greetings!

My wife works at a convience store/gas station combo and as such gets to handle
a lot of change. I've shown her how to quickly spot silver by looking at the
edges of the coins and she's got pretty good at it.

Last night, when she delivered her haul, I noted a 1965 dime in there.
Fortunately, I checked it before I mentioned her "oops". Good thing.

Because I now own a 1965 dime struck on a silver planchat. WaHoo! Anybody know
what that's worth? It grades VF.

Bruce

Outstanding, Bruce! Simply outstanding!

Not only for hitting the Coin Lottery, but for the excellent
observational powers that extended beyond 'reading the date'.

I'm very pleased for you! Will I be seeing your name in CW now?

Alan
'will trade you a 1962 Roosevelt for it'
Old August 12th 03, 02:09 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:52:31 -0700, Craton is alleged to
have written:

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

[...]

Well, I lost any posts from about this post until this morning so I don't know
what anybody else posted, if anything.

I've tried taking photos of it, but it just looks like a 1965 dime, I can't get
the clad and silver to show differently under my lights. Ultimately, it's
heading to ANACS but I'll be keeping it raw to show for awhile.

Bruce