Need help identifying a Chinese stamp booklet

Old June 6th 11, 05:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stephen Lorimor

Default Need help identifying a Chinese stamp booklet

I bought an unusual Chinese stamp booklet a while back. Unlike most
stamp booklets that have a few stamps with a cover around it designed
to minimize packaging, this one has a sheet of eight stamps with a ton
of fancy packaging. It has a lot of writing in Chinese characters
that are beyond my understanding.

Can anyone help me figure out exactly what these stamps are? It's
possible they're not even postal stamps, but were intended for some
other usage.

http://www.aidsonstamps.com/2006.htm#china

Most of the images of the Chinese booklet are linked to more detailed
scans.

Thanks!

--Stephen
Old June 6th 11, 08:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Jun 6, 2:14*pm, Stephen Lorimor wrote:
I bought an unusual Chinese stamp booklet a while back. *Unlike most
stamp booklets that have a few stamps with a cover around it designed
to minimize packaging, this one has a sheet of eight stamps with a ton
of fancy packaging. *It has a lot of writing in Chinese characters
that are beyond my understanding.

Can anyone help me figure out exactly what these stamps are? *It's
possible they're not even postal stamps, but were intended for some
other usage.

http://www.aidsonstamps.com/2006.htm#china

Most of the images of the Chinese booklet are linked to more detailed
scans.

Thanks!

* * *--Stephen

This appears to be an example of a 'personalised' booklet, using
standard postage stamps and custom labels. It was issued by the
Guizhou Provincial Disease Prevention and Control Centre (though I'm
not sure if that is its official English title, or if it even has
one).

Tony Mac Gillycuddy
Old June 6th 11, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stephen Lorimor

On Jun 6, 3:40*am, Asia-translation
wrote:
[...]

Ahh, thank you. After poking around I see that the stamp is Scott
3261. The labels can be personalized.

Is there anyone out there able to help me translate the block of text
next to the stamps in the booklet? I would like to put a translation
on my website.

I would be glad to provide a credit and/or link by the translation if
the translator would like one.
Old June 6th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 6/6/2011 12:14 AM, Stephen Lorimor wrote:

http://www.aidsonstamps.com/2006.htm#china

I like best the Liberia stamp with a man killing aids viruses with a
throwing spear. While the most primitive, in a sense, I think it is the
cutest and shows the right attitude of active aggression against the
virus rather than passive victimhood. I wish its scan were a bit bigger
to match the others, or is it really such a small stamp?
Old June 7th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

It looks like the GCDC is an organsiation with formidable credentials.

Rough translation follows:

Sommary

Guizhou Province Centre for Disease Control

Guizhou Centre for Disease Control was formed on 30 Aug 2002 from the
merger of several organisations: Guizhou Health Disease Prevention
Station (Guizhou Food Safety Research Centre, Guizhou parasites
research centre, Guizhou Environmental Health Monitoring Station),
Guizhou Research Centre for the Prevention of Tuberculosis, Guizhou
Centre for the Prevention and Cure of Work related illnesses, Guizhou
Skin Diseases Research Centre, Guizhou Health Centre for Women and
Children, and Guizhou Chinese Medical Hospital. The centre has offices
in 21 counties and maintains a hospital. The GCDC is an organisation
under the purview of the provincial Department of Health. The GCDC has
various responsibilties under its remit including the control,
monitoring, testing and evaluation of diseases. It is also respobsible
directing health education, practical research, technical management
and treatment of diseases. The mission of the GCDC is to implement
emergency response plan for health related incidents in the province,
as well as the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases, local
illnesses, food poisioning, (the effects of ) work related dangers,
chemical poisoning and nuclear radiation. The GCDC maintains a BSL-3
laboratory, a national - level laboratory, AIDS tratment laboratory
and Foundation laboratory. The laboratories contain a large inventory
of modern testing equipments from China and abroad enabling the centre
to conduct testing and evaluation work. Hence, the centre is able to
provide timely and accurate health related data the community. The
centre has the infrastruture to ensure the efficient report of
infectious diseases and public health related incidents thus ensuring
that it is able to perform its mission of monitoring the state of
infectious diseases and public health related incidents.

Richard
Old June 7th 11, 05:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stephen Lorimor

On Jun 6, 1:09*pm, Terry Reedy wrote:
[...]

Three things.

First, I should mention to anyone following this thread that I have
moved the China stamp on my site. The new link is he

www.aidsonstamps.com/personal.htm#booklet

You can still get there via the old link, but you'll have to click on
an extra button.

Second, that Liberia stamp is indeed fun. The stamp itself is a good
size, considerably larger than the typical American stamp. It's a
lousy scan -- sorry about that. I fully intend to put up better scans
of everything on my website someday, but there's so much else to do
for my collection in the meantime (and so little time in which to do
it!).

And third, thank you very much for the translation, Richard! I'll go
put it on my website. Thank you!