You know you are a long time collector when......

Old October 13th 03, 07:00 PM
John Stone

Default You know you are a long time collector when......

From my own experiences.

A slab was a piece of concrete not plastic around a coin
MS stood for multiple sclerosis - not a coin grading term.
You could still find silver coins in circulation on a regular basis
A Coin World subscription was $6.00 a year.
RCC and Usenet did not exist
Wayne Miller sold circ Morgans in CW for $1.67 each and a unc Morgan
was around $2.50
The silver certificate frenzy of 1967-68.
Old October 13th 03, 07:18 PM
Coin Saver

and many dealers "whizzzed" their Morgans.

8-/
Coin Saver
Old October 13th 03, 09:38 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:05:28 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams
wrote:

There was a silver certificate frenzy? I confess I missed it. I plead
that being all of 9 years ago, my oversight was excusable.

I missed it too (much younger) but have heard may a story about it from the
old-timers. My favorite was the one guy who told everybody he worked with
to hold onto their certs as long as possible because they would get more
for them, which they did. However, he did not think it was necessary to
tell them that they still needed to sell them before the redemption
deadline. Sure enough, one lady asked him about a year later how much
longer she should hold onto hers.

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old October 14th 03, 12:35 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Art O'Connell wrote:

OK Alan so who is Susan Harris?

She had *the* most fabulous head of blonde hair you ever saw in your
life!

Saw her on the first day of first grade and went ((zonk)).

Last time I saw her was the summer after High School graduation. She
was wearing someone's heavily embroidered Navy jacket. ;-)

Alan
'Hair today, gone tomorrow'
Old October 14th 03, 12:57 AM
Scottishmoney

"John Stone" wrote in message
om...
From my own experiences.

A slab was a piece of concrete not plastic around a coin
MS stood for multiple sclerosis - not a coin grading term.
You could still find silver coins in circulation on a regular basis
A Coin World subscription was $6.00 a year.
RCC and Usenet did not exist
Wayne Miller sold circ Morgans in CW for $1.67 each and a unc Morgan
was around $2.50
The silver certificate frenzy of 1967-68.

Too young to remember the silver certificate frenzy, the first dollar bill I
remember getting was a 1969-C $1, I think I might still have it in my
collection(I was a hoarder even then)

I only got silver coins in circulation after the late 1980's. When I was a
kid I remember wondering why I never got dimes, quarters etc that were dated
before 1965. Only later did I find out, when I was about 10 my father gave
me a coffee can full of coins that were his poker winnings in college, then
I finally got coins that the latest dates were 1963-1964 and lots and lots
of silver.

Cardboard holders for coins, I remember buying them in the Base Exchange and
getting funny looks from the store clerk, I had to explain you put coins in
them, she still had a funny look, and then told me coins are for spending.

I remember when $20 pieces were about $42 each, in the mid 1970's and
wanting them, but not wanting to part with my series 1950 $50 bill to buy
it. Later on I put the bill in the bank and let it earn 5% interest or
something like that, I should have splurged for the St. Gaudens. Oh to be
ten again.

Dave