Grading Banknotes

Old December 27th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
John B

Default Grading Banknotes

I have some banknote which I would like to try and grade, I guess this
is a skill which comes with experience and takes time to acquire. I
found these two web sites which use a points system to assess grade,

http://bestbanknotes.com/grading.html

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Buying-qu...00000000829141

Are these a good starting point and also is it allowed to assign
values in between the 0,10,15 and 20 for each characteristic e.g a
note which falls between slight soiling and considerable soiling?

Are there any other web resources which might be useful in particular
any which show examples with good images.

Many Thanks,
Old December 27th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

"John B" wrote in message
I have some banknote which I would like to try and grade, I guess this
is a skill which comes with experience and takes time to acquire. I
found these two web sites which use a points system to assess grade,

http://bestbanknotes.com/grading.html

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Buying-qu...00000000829141

Are these a good starting point and also is it allowed to assign
values in between the 0,10,15 and 20 for each characteristic e.g a
note which falls between slight soiling and considerable soiling?

Are there any other web resources which might be useful in particular
any which show examples with good images.

Many Thanks,

The numerically based grading system does not work too well in my
experience.

Grading a banknote accurately is a skill that is learned by experience,
virtually NO ebay sellers have it.

Would you agree or disagrre with this grade? Is the note worth the price
paid? Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200289106986

Old December 28th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
John B

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 22:14:00 -0000, "note.boy"
wrote:

The numerically based grading system does not work too well in my
experience.

Grading a banknote accurately is a skill that is learned by experience,
virtually NO ebay sellers have it.

Would you agree or disagrre with this grade? Is the note worth the price
paid? Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200289106986

It's listed in the Banknote Yearbook ref SC903a, only two grades are
listed, VF £80 and EF £140. It does look very nice but the image has a
blue cast and is too small to judge properly. Seller has feedback
score of over 900 with only 2 negs in the past 12 months, one of those
does say over graded doctored note but there are hundreds of others
who are very happy. Can't see any other images for past auctions
(except for 1) as they are private (what are the pros and cons of
that).

I don't really feel I have enough experience to answer your questions,
I would probably have been tempted to bid if I had seen it but I would
welcome your comments to further my knowledge.

Thanks,
Old December 28th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

wrote:

[...]

Have a look at this and draw your own conclusions. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170280213967

New Coin Grading Service: Universal Grading Service LLC FUBAR Coins 1 March 17th 06 10:34 PM
NGC grading note.boy Coins 10 November 21st 05 03:53 AM
Market grading vs. Technical Grading.....the answer to my coin grading question Ira Stein Coins 10 July 26th 05 08:38 PM
do grading companies consider date and mint when grading? Tetradrachm Coins 8 February 25th 04 09:21 AM
Bad grading? note.boy Paper Money 1 January 10th 04 01:13 AM