Scott stamp catalogue 2008

Old July 1st 09, 09:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
spammetodeath

Default Scott stamp catalogue 2008

Hi, maybe interesting.

A complete world stamp catalogue

You can get the torrent he

http://www.mininova.org/get/2729053
Old July 1st 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

spammetodeath wrote:
Hi, maybe interesting.

A complete world stamp catalogue

You can get the torrent he

http://www.mininova.org/get/2729053

Interesting perhaps, but definitely a copyright violation plus possible
malware infection. Availability of these pirate copies is most likely
the reason Scott didn't issue their 2010 catalogs digitally.

Bill
Old July 1st 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"spammetodeath" wrote in message
snip

There's never any convenient time for spam, death and taxes.

--
Victor Manta

Old July 1st 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Bill Sharpe found these unused words:

spammetodeath wrote:
Hi, maybe interesting.

A complete world stamp catalogue

You can get the torrent he

http://www.mininova.org/get/2729053

Interesting perhaps, but definitely a copyright violation plus possible
malware infection. Availability of these pirate copies is most likely
the reason Scott didn't issue their 2010 catalogs digitally.

Bill

So instead we have ebunko sellers photocopying individual country page sets
and selling them ...

Whatever can be stolen, will !

Unfortunately, yes. But photocopying catalog pages at least takes a lot
more time than hacking multiple-page pdf files.

Bill
Old July 2nd 09, 10:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi

Someone please explain the difference between a dealer selling a
complete catalog, that was legally purchased, and breaking up said
catalog into country sections and selling the original pages for a
country. Note that the key is original pages are being sold, not
copies. If a country is on the same page as another, then the pages
for one of the countries is sold as a 'short' country section.

Many years ago there were a couple of dealers in New York State that
were doing that and did so for many years. Evidently Scott did not
have a problem with that then and I would assume they would 'cut off'
supplying the dealer if they had a problem now.

Jerry B
Old July 2nd 09, 11:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"jerry" wrote in message

Someone please explain the difference between a dealer selling a
complete catalog, that was legally purchased, and breaking up said
catalog into country sections and selling the original pages for a
country. Note that the key is original pages are being sold, not
copies. If a country is on the same page as another, then the pages
for one of the countries is sold as a 'short' country section.

Many years ago there were a couple of dealers in New York State that
were doing that and did so for many years. Evidently Scott did not
have a problem with that then and I would assume they would 'cut off'
supplying the dealer if they had a problem now.

There is a difference, that seems obvious to me. From the publisher's point
of view an old catalogue is a competitor for a new issued one. As long as
the old catalogue is sold as such, there is on the market only one, legal
competitor. When a catalogue is split in parts, one competitor is replaced
by several ones, newly created, which is not the same thing.

Let's compare the catalogue with a car. One have the right to sell an used
car or any parts of it. But the parts of the car cannot be used like a car
is. On the other hand one can buy a Scott Vol. 1 catalogue only for the US
part of it and never look into its other sections. Splitting an used, or
even a new Vol1 catalogue into smaller, self consistent parts creates
several independent, concurrent products for each new Vol. 1 Scott
catalogue, and this can create an unfair competition problem.

We cannot assume that just because some dealers did it, then "Evidently
Scott did not have a problem with that then". Maybe the parts had an
arrangement or maybe Scott tolerated the whole because the involved
quantities were small or for other reasons.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old July 2nd 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Victor.

Thanks for making the point. I did not think of it that way.

In all probability the statement "Maybe the parts had an arrangement
or maybe Scott tolerated the whole because the involved quantities
were small or for other reasons" was probably the case then and maybe
it is the case now.

Jerry B

Old July 2nd 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jul 2, 8:04*am, jerry wrote:
Hi Victor.

Thanks for making the point. *I did not think of it that way.

In all probability the statement "Maybe the parts had an arrangement
or maybe Scott tolerated the whole because the involved quantities
were small or for other reasons" was probably the case then and maybe
it is the case now.

Jerry B

Given electronic publishing technology, I'm surprised that
Scott doesn't offer the service itself. No cutting is needed.
just select the country required and print out the relevant
pages of the CDs / DVDs.

Blair
Old July 3rd 09, 07:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
jerry

Hi Blair,

Given electronic publishing technology, I'm surprised that
Scott doesn't offer the service itself. *No cutting is needed.
just select the country required and print out the relevant
pages of the CDs / DVDs.

I have written Scott about having a service like that since they are
now electronic. They said it would not pay as too many collectors buy
the entire catalog set each year. That makes no sense considering
today's cost of a single catalog and a $300 - $400 cost for the 6
volumes. I am sure this is one reason for the rise of 'dealers'
breaking up the catalogs and selling original page sections.

Also, Scott has dropped the CD versions of the catalog and is offering
only DVD versions. That should be a loss as many collectors have older
machines and do not have a DVD drive.

Michel, a while back, announced that they will print 1 or more
countries on demand and bind the selected countries in one or more
volumes. I collect only three countries and checked with them for the
price of a volume with only those countries. It was a sticker shock as
the custom catalog cost almost $100 more than the 1 or 2 standard
volumes that I would have to buy.

Jerry B
Old July 3rd 09, 09:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Jul 2, 2:15*am, jerry wrote:
Hi

Someone please explain the difference between a dealer selling a
complete catalog, that was legally purchased, and breaking up said
catalog into country sections and selling the original pages for a
country.

Sure, I'll give it a shot. "It's all about control of information and
money."

Here in the States, where cable channels offer a ludicrous number of
channels, different arrangements are bundled into "tiers", and only
combinations of these tiers are allowed. Some people are
understandably miffed about this: the sort of people who every day
watch nature documentaries, say; once in a blue moon watch
biographies; and never watch classic movies nor epileptic Jesus-freak
preachers. "Why," they ask, "Do I have to pay for channels I do not
use?"

The answer, almost certainly, is "because the cable company makes more
money this way.

At one extreme, I once bought the next tier up -- for an extra $6/
month -- for *one* program on *one* station that I didn't want to
watch without (for the record, it was "Wood Works".) No dice
convincing the cable companies to charge me only a dollar or so for
this, however..

There are class-action lawsuits in play in the States right now,
challenging this "bundling". Note that I have no objection to
*discounts* for buying in tiers -- having the break-even point be,
say, six channels, after which you are better buying the whole tier --
but I *do* *not* want any bit of my money going to the Trinity
Broadcasting Network or channels that air the programs of bigots such
as Howard Stern and Pat Robertson.

There's a connection, no?

P.S. I don't even have a television any longer. There's one solution.

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA