E-Bay Juke - no pickups??

Old January 16th 04, 02:02 AM
BOBAKER147

Default E-Bay Juke - no pickups??

check out this one - 3267444759 - "no Pick Ups" buyer must pay shipping. And
just where is he located? What a nut case. I ask my Juke customers to let me
deliver the juke and not pay me until they have heard it play. I have a busy
other life too but I am not too busy to treat my customers fairly. If you bid
on this one you are just plain stupid.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=13 7
21&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old January 16th 04, 03:16 AM
Keith Stelter

Did you also notice that shipping and handling "STARTS AT $300.00"!!!
After a few bad experiences I've made a few rules that apply if a buyer
picks up a juke or pinball machine from me.
1. They MUST make a solid appointment for the pickup and be ON TIME! I give
them about an hour "slack", but after that if I'm gone I'm gone. I had too
many cases where I would sit at my shop waiting for someone who showed up
only to have them arrive 3 or 4 hours late without any real reason.

2. There will be NO dickering on the price of Ebay items when they come to
get the machine. They can either take it or walk away. Again, too many cases
of guys who bid something wayyyy up just to win the auction thinking that
when they got to my house they could beat me up on the price by pointing out
a bunch of "faults".

3. CASH ONLY!!!!!

Old January 16th 04, 03:18 AM
The G Man

The person is not too busy to take the money...just too busy to be up front
and honest... Why else would one keep such an auction private? look at
the feed back..

Old January 16th 04, 11:58 AM
BOBAKER147

Keith's rules work for me - but I have never had a problem - but my deals are
the same , take it or leave it - the auction is over. I still give them the
"out" if they are not happy and I am making the delivery, but if they have it
shipped then it's as is, no returns, I've shipped them as far as Norway but
prefer not to ship.
Old January 16th 04, 03:40 PM
KLR

On 16 Jan 2004 02:02:30 GMT, (BOBAKER147) wrote:

check out this one - 3267444759 - "no Pick Ups" buyer must pay shipping. And
just where is he located? What a nut case. I ask my Juke customers to let me
deliver the juke and not pay me until they have heard it play. I have a busy
other life too but I am not too busy to treat my customers fairly. If you bid
on this one you are just plain stupid.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=13 7
21&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Agreed - its not the world's greatest way to sell, and he wants the
earth for shipping, but this has to be factored into the amount you
are willing to pay when bidding.

I think it would really suck if he wanted $300 for local delivery.
not that you would know where it came from, since there is no location
listed other than "USA"

Other possible legit reason for no pick up - and the secrecy - it
seems quite likely that he is an operator. As an operator myself and
not in a retail shop - its a pain in the arse to wait for people to
show up when you have work to do outside of the shop - usually they
are late or early and you can guarantee that the phone will ring etc.
when they are there and interrupt. Also there is a matter of privacy
and security - I don't like to reveal to the general public where my
premises are - due to the security reasons of dealing in a cash
business - and the value of equipment that is typically there.

He is admittedly a cut above those sellers who offer "pick up only"
and refuse to ship, and to top it all off - advertise on world forums
to sell it. These type really get up my nose.
Almost as bad are the neanderthals who "won't ship outside the US"
especially with small items that are easily mailed. They really need
to get a life. It is the 21'st century now and there is a big wide
world out there - and the people who live in it are actually able to
afford to buy things .
(Fortunately these type of sellers seem to invariably get **** all $
as a final bid compared to the actual market value .)

Where I live - almost all items are not viable to inspect first due to
huge distance from most sellers - or to have personally delivered and
set up - so I'm used to having to take people on trust etc - and
usually it works fine - as fortunately most in the industry are fair
and will do what they can to rectify problems.

---------------
Old January 17th 04, 08:16 AM
Bob

KLR wrote in message . ..
[...]

I also don't like or understand why sellers have a private auction.
You have to wonder who is bidding against you MB one of the sellers
buddies. Who benefits from keeping the bidders name private? Some time
ago I was interested in a 201 up for auction and the guy was local so
I went to look it over. A few weeks after loosing the auction I went
back to this guy’s shop and the same 201 was still for sale. OK
MB the person who won the 201 backed out. When I got home I pulled up
this sellers history of completed items and noticed that four other
jukes and one baseball game that had sold on ebay were also still for
sale in his shop. All with the same problems and defects as listed on
the completed auction. As a rule I stay away from private auctions.

Bob
Old January 17th 04, 10:59 AM
KLR

On 17 Jan 2004 00:16:32 -0800, (Bob) wrote:

KLR wrote in message . ..
On 16 Jan 2004 02:02:30 GMT,
(BOBAKER147) wrote:

[...]

I dont see the need for them myself - (unless maybe selling things
like adult material that people might not want to make their interest
in public) especially juke boxes etc.

maybe its to hide shill bidding too ?

Old January 17th 04, 12:17 PM
Keith Stelter

Yeah, 90% of the time people who run private auctions are people who have
been busted for shill bidding. The guys who do it claim that they are
protecting themselves from having other people contact their bidders
offering them the same item for less money. I can see that if someone is
selling new Barbie dolls or something, but who is going to contact a bidder
and offer them something like a restored VL?!
Some guys who do it actually have the balls to re-list the item over and
over. Of course they say that they had several of them to sell and just used
the same pictures, but does anyone really believe that they have something
like 4 Filben Maestros to sell?
"Bob" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old January 29th 04, 02:59 AM
Jimmy the RecordHound

And his "About Me" page isn't about anything except his other auctions and
feedback. Even for AMI, these were ugly boxes, and they go for maybe a hundred
bucks at area juke/coinop flea markets.