O.K. - "Pawn Stars" - What do you think???

Old August 22nd 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

Default O.K. - "Pawn Stars" - What do you think???

On 8/22/2010 3:10 PM, oly wrote:
IMHO, the practical experience of working in a Pawn Shop for over
twenty years could very well offset the apparent lack of diploma-like
credentials from some institution of higher learning.

He really worked in a Pawn Shop for all this time? I guess that's some
kind of more proper pawn shop, a noun of a different case. From you
postings I can also see how you would say that this is the equivalent of
a college degree in art history, archeology, or a similar topic, an
offset to this. Perhaps he could get a college degree for such
salt-of-the-earth real-world experience then use it to teach in a
college setting, setting straight those elitist ivory tower snobs and
know-it-alls with their vacuous book learnin' and field research.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old August 22nd 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 22, 1:58*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On 8/22/2010 3:10 PM, oly wrote:

[...]

Pretty weak there, even by Reed "standards". Mr. Harrison could
possibly have excellent academic credentials, but he doesn't wear them
on his sleeve (like some people). He is apparently a very successful
businessman (unlike some people).

BTW, what are your formal academic credentials, there, Gainsburger?

oly
Old August 22nd 10, 09:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

Default Enough of that apcray former title bar

oly wrote:
[lengthy palaver snipped]

Have you picked up anything neat, mon vieux?

When the Bowers hardcover on "colonials" was released in the spring of 2009
I was shocked to see that he had catalogued as colonials all the Condor
tokens relating to Thomas Paine, with the blessings of Ken Bressett, of all
people, who intimated that they might one day occupy a berth in the Redbook.
They would take their place next to all the other quasi-early American
material, such as the Washington coppers. Thought I, being the
philosophical twin of the honorable Monsieur Paine, I'd better acquire a
couple examples before prices reach the stratosphere as the result of
Redbook inclusion. Dave Sardella came up with both a Spence "positive
attitude" piece, as well as an End of Pain "negative attitude" piece. I'd
not mind getting a Paine farthing, but as you know, Conder farthings are
pretty scarce. Anyway, I'm ready. Quintuple in price, you bad boys!

James the Speculator

Old August 22nd 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 22, 2:52*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
oly wrote:

[...]

I recall Mr. Sardella as usually having one or more specimens of the
"End of Pain" Conder in stock, pretty consistently, in all the years
I've known him (probably since 1988 or 1989). He always seems to have
that "Map of France" thingie too.

I do have a "Bladon (Blandon?) founded Bath through his Swine"
farthing, and it is rather a nice piece.

Thos. Paine was damn lucky not to meet the National Razor back in the
day.

oly

Old August 22nd 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

oly wrote:

[...]

He was, in fact, scheduled to meet it, but the accident of an open prison
door spared him.

Old August 23rd 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

oly wrote:

[...]

door spared him.- Hide quoted text -

Josephine Beauharnais just missed it too. Would have been there
except for the sudden fall of jolly Robespierre.

oly
Old August 23rd 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"oly" wrote in message
Anybody watch "Pawn Stars"??? Rick Harrison, the Old Man, son Corey
and flunkey Chumley at their Pawn Shop in Las Vegas??? (Well,
actually, it doesn't belong to Chumley).

It's really one of the few TV shows (besides Wheel of Fortune) that my
wife and I can sit down and both enjoy.

It's frequently contrived (it has to be, it would take years and years
for all that good stuff to come in off-the-street, although you might
see most of it over one or two decades), and I think that the prices
paid tend to be difficult to believe - at least somewhat high, I would
guess. Probably slightly glorifies a hard-nosed and tough business.

Also, television shifting from the supposedly profitable "house-
flipping" to "guess what I just gotta pawn today" is a sign of the
times.

But still, a really good TV show.

Anybody have any insights???

oly

My wife and I and another couple stopped in there last October enroute to
St. George, UT for the Huntsman Senior Games. Hardly anyone in the place,
compared to what the scene looks like today in the latest episodes. The
only "regular" there at the time was the Old Man and he happily(?) posed for
a photo with us. Then he left, hopped into his purple pickup truck and
drove away. The couple we were with bought a diamond ring and were quite
happy with it. Otherwise, most of the effort in the shop seemed to involve
the display and sale of Pawn Stars T-shirts.

I agree that the whole show seems contrived with people bringing items to a
pawn shop that they could easily sell elsewhere for more with minimal
effort. Especially coins. I saw common date silver dollars in their
showcase for $25 apiece. I have to wonder what they paid for them. I
should have asked what they would offer. IMO, it is interesting and it's
the only reality-type show I come close to watching. I see too much reality
every day without using the TV.

Old August 23rd 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 22, 5:45*pm, "Bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

every day without using the TV.- Hide quoted text -

I can think of at least a half-dozen old timey coin dealers who fell
out of exactly the same mold as "Old Man". His wife or somebody got
him off some bad habits in just a nick of time. He's a gem.

There's nothing wrong with selling tee shirts, IMHO. It's fairly
honest and straight-forward.

Many sellers could get a lot more for the good stuff, especially by
bringing in a specialized auctioneer, but the sellers apparently
aren't the types who can plan much ahead. Gotta have cash today,
friend??? That's a service you're gonna pay for.

oly

Old August 23rd 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On 8/22/2010 2:17 PM, oly wrote:

It's frequently contrived

I can't watch it for this reason. It's a typical unreal reality show,
largely faked reality, scripted and heavily edited so that all realism
disappears. In this case, the guy who runs the shop often affects
knowledge of esoteric items that you know he couldn't possibly have. To
counter this fakery, he does call in experts about other items. Still, the
overall quality of the show may be best summarized by a statement of one
of the pawn shop's customers, who professed knowledge of the authenticity
of some medieval item she brought in because she saw similar items in
movies, a statement that elicited no response.

I think that's part of the attraction of the show-- seeing how stupid and
gullible some people can be about the value and authenticity of the items
they bring in, much of which they seem to "find" in their grandfather's
gtarage. That, along with the price they expect to get from a pawn shop.
In contrast, I also get a kick out of watching the Rick get a $7,000
appraisal by one of their experts and then offering the seller $750. It
sure beats watching "amateurs" sing and dance each week. Bring back Arthur
Godfrey and Ted Mack.

Old August 23rd 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On 8/22/2010 2:17 PM, oly wrote:

[...]

Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour!!! Bring back the original "high
test" Milk of Magnesia. Great-Aunt Em lived 97 years thanks to the
stuff.

When I was really young, I had a hard time distinguishing between
Arthur Godfrey, Ronald Reagan and my Great-Uncle Elmer. They all
looked the same to me, Ronald Reagan might have been a touch younger
looking than the other two.

oly