Excellent New "Coin Sets of the World" Collection from The Franklin Mint...

Old August 14th 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Default Excellent New "Coin Sets of the World" Collection from The Franklin Mint...

First off...not trying to start an argument here. I have been a long
time fan of Franklin Mint and yes they have gone through some changes
in the last 10 years but I am glad to see them doing some programs
that are completely developed and assembled by them....and they look
great. This is a new version of the old popular Franklin Mint program
titled coin sets of all nations. (http://www.franklinmint.com/
product1.aspx?SID=2&Product_ID=10676) The old program is long gone
but this one is far superior in style. The panels are excellent.
Some pics of the World Coin panels follows...if I can get it to work.
Also3 pics of Franklin Mint National Park quarter program
http://www.franklinmint.com/product1...oduct_ID=10018 (they
did not call it America the Beautiful..the US Mint will attack anyone
who tries to sell their products). You get enhanced quarter and
UNC..all in one panel. The price is right in line or cheaper than
what US mint charges for some packaged products.
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMCoinSetsoftheWorld-5.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMCoinSetsoftheWorld-13.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMCoinSetsoftheWorld-14.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMCoinSetsoftheWorld-16.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMNationalParksQuarterPanels-2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMNationalParksQuarterPanels-5.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/mkwelbornjr/FM%20Stuff/
FMNationalParksQuarterPanels-7.jpg[/IMG]

Old August 14th 10, 12:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 13, 11:26*pm, MKW wrote:
Sorry...apparantly my links are messed up. *So you can see some of the
pics I took but not organized as I had planned. *Will try again

http://www.franklinmint.com/product1...%20Stuff/FMCoi...

http://www.franklinmint.com/product1...%20Stuff/FMNat...

There's nothing wrong with collecting modern coins (U.S. or World or
both), but these "collections" are one of the stupidest possible ways
to go about it. One can get the real quarters for face or nor more
than fifty cents per example, and the colorized and other abortions
being offered aren't ever ever ever going to be considered desirable
by 90% of the persons in the numismatic community who do collect
contemporary coins.

Kid yourself...

oly

Old August 14th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

The mass public who likes colorized coins does not consist of serious
coin collectors. They like something that looks neat. They could
care less about serious graded coins or high value rare variations of
morgan dollars. The serious coin collector is a small part of that
group. The world coin panels are a stunning design. The blister
holders have to be tooled and developed for each coin size and shape.
Stunning.

Secondly collection should not be about value increase...should only
be about what is fun and enjoyable to collect. People like colorized
coins for that reason.

http://www.franklinmint.com/product1..._ID=10676http:......

http://www.franklinmint.com/product1..._ID=10018http:......

Old August 14th 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

There are people who collect certain brand names like Franklin
Mint..in the same manner one would collect Lionel Trains or Matchbox
cars. Colorized coins are not aimed at the coin collecting
community. Apparantly most progressive mints like Canadian Mint have
recognized the interest in colored coins. The US Mint is WAY behind
the curve with its boring product line.
Old August 14th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Keep in mind that everything the US Mint does in terms of a cameo
proof finish was developed and pioneered by the Franklin Mint..who
during the 70's had the most comprehensive die making and sculpting
staff in the world.

Old August 14th 10, 06:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

MKW wrote:
The mass public who likes colorized coins does not consist of serious
coin collectors. They like something that looks neat. They could
care less about serious graded coins or high value rare variations of
morgan dollars. The serious coin collector is a small part of that
group. The world coin panels are a stunning design. The blister
holders have to be tooled and developed for each coin size and shape.
Stunning.

Collecting colorized coins rests away from the hardcore numismatic end of
the continuum. It is doubtful that there will ever be books published which
identify minute die varieties and states, as is done in series such as large
cents and capped bust half dollars. But "neat" and "stunning" are entirely
in the eye of the beholder, and you have just as much right to define those
terms for yourself as anyone else has to do it for himself. I happen to
like U.S. large cents, but the reality is that those designs fail to depict
beauty, feminine or otherwise. I therefore have to derive my satisfaction
from them in other ways.

Secondly collection should not be about value increase...should only
be about what is fun and enjoyable to collect. People like colorized
coins for that reason.

You are correct again. Many of those who fret about value increase take on
a burden that diminishes their enjoyment of the hobby. Collect what gives
you pleasure, say I. There's enough misery in the world to do it for any
other reason.

James

Old August 14th 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

I am not a big fan of colored coins either but on a series like the
National Parks I think it works and thats why I like this program.
And other companies for a poorer job of creating the art used in
firing the decal to the coins. So they are not all the same. But the
medals and coins FM made are superior to anything any world mint has
produced. And although the minting facility is gone, they can still
develop some medals with their mintmark..which would be a must have.
Perhaps they will use Sunshine Mint who makes a good proof medal.

And here are a couple more pics of Franklin Mints presidential dollar
portfolio series....for the same price the US Mint was charging for
their defunct portfolio series.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...pFolios-17.jpg
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...pFolios-19.jpg

And a stunning protrait of Reagan that FM created and sculpted
entirely in house.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...Portrait-1.jpg

Old August 14th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

MKW wrote:
[...]

Just for the record, MKW, it sure would help if you set your news account to
display the text that you are responding to, and then post underneath it.
Otherwise, your posts appear to be non-sequitur.

James

Old August 14th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 14, 11:09*am, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
MKW wrote:
[...]

I collect coins as historic artifacts, but sometimes I also put away
modern "stuff" that seems to me to have the potential to be
interesting to someone, some day. I am not deluding myself whether or
not I have any heirs who will ever give a **** (I do not have any such
persons close to me), nor about the "stuffs'" potential for price
appreciation

One of the few ways that I personally react with the active U.S. coin
"market" or "industry" is that I, like many, get asked to look at
accumulations/ collections held by older folks or at their estates
with an eye how to sell off a bunch of "stuff". Trust me, I always go
look, don't blow-off the chance, and I have occasionally stumbled
accross some really good numismatic treasures. But I mostly see lots
of "stuff", stuff that I myself remember being originally marketed in
the 1970s or 1980s (especially "stuff" from the time of the U.S.
Bicentennial) and my reaction was the same today as it was when I saw
the original advertisments - "Why the hell would anybody but that
junk?". Back in the 1970s, the real numismatic artifacts were cheap
enough in comparison to the "junk", and (with 20-20 hindsight) it was
obviously better to avoid the novelty and phoney baloney markets.

I hold that the same is true today. I am no longer young enough for
time to be my ally (and, thankfully, still young enough that time
isn't my pursuing personal enemy), but if you are young, please please
buy coins that are established historical artifacts; they will buy you
numismatic "pride of ownership" today and yes, a pretty decent chance
for price appreciation if your holding time is a decade or more. The
modern "stuff" vended by certain marketing organizations are unlikely
to fulfill either ideal.

The original Franklin Mint "stuff" typically had the advantages of
being nicely designed and struck, and their original "stuff" was
usually made in good silver. This bullion factor was highly important
in 1979-80 and it allowed some people who had been rather badly stuck
to get out with some decent percentage of their money. The old
Franklin Mint did a lot of things to confuse people about how much
silver they were actually receiving, but when metals prices shot
through the roof, there was still a readily determinable melt value.
Such a happy outcome won't happen with what's being sold today, as the
"stuff" is copper-nickel at best. Also, all should note that the
physical plant and assets of a ceratin private mint that existed in
the 1960s and 1970s has been sold off and disbursed long ago. A
certain capacity for fine minting that existed thirty years ago no
longer exists. Don't be confused by corporation names and coproation
games.

I would strongly encourage that any person really interest should find
out and pay the "real" prices for state quarters, national park
quarters, etc. offered by and through the "real" numismatic dealer
community. Even better yet, buy those pieces only when you really
have "money-to-burn" in your pockets.

Now how can I get rid of some of my closets of "stuff" and buy that
Queen Mary II copper death medal that I want?

oly