Counterfeit Coins

Old July 1st 10, 10:43 PM posted to clari.numistics,rec.sport.football.college,rec.collecting.coins
The Ghost Of Edward M. Kennedy

Default Counterfeit Coins

I usuall don't pay much attention to what kind of change I get, but
I've gotten a bunch of counterfeit quarters lately that don't have
the eagle on the back. They look vaguely Canadian or something
(the detail is too small to make out without my reading glasses).
Why would someone bother making fake quarters? Seems like a lot of
work for, well, just a quarter.

--Tedward

Old July 1st 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.collecting.coins
The Henchman

"The Ghost Of Edward M. Kennedy" wrote in message
I usuall don't pay much attention to what kind of change I get, but
I've gotten a bunch of counterfeit quarters lately that don't have
the eagle on the back. They look vaguely Canadian or something
(the detail is too small to make out without my reading glasses).
Why would someone bother making fake quarters? Seems like a lot of
work for, well, just a quarter.

--Tedward

Toronto used to have a major problem with counterfeit subway tickets and
tokens. Apparently millions in lost fares they claimed.

Basically why try to counterfeit $100 bills if everyone is looking out for
them when you can counterfeit 10 000 quarters when NOBODY looks for them.

Old July 1st 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.collecting.coins
The Ghost Of Edward M. Kennedy

"The Henchman" wrote

I usuall don't pay much attention to what kind of change I get, but
I've gotten a bunch of counterfeit quarters lately that don't have
the eagle on the back. They look vaguely Canadian or something
(the detail is too small to make out without my reading glasses).
Why would someone bother making fake quarters? Seems like a lot of
work for, well, just a quarter.

--Tedward

Toronto used to have a major problem with counterfeit subway tickets and
tokens. Apparently millions in lost fares they claimed.

Basically why try to counterfeit $100 bills if everyone is looking out for
them when you can counterfeit 10 000 quarters when NOBODY looks for them.

I guess...but at least the subway tickets were worth more than
a quarter.

--Tedward

Old July 1st 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.collecting.coins
¤~Îñ©üßu§~¤

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 18:36:02 -0400, "The Henchman" wrote:

"The Ghost Of Edward M. Kennedy" wrote in message
I usuall don't pay much attention to what kind of change I get, but
I've gotten a bunch of counterfeit quarters lately that don't have
the eagle on the back. They look vaguely Canadian or something
(the detail is too small to make out without my reading glasses).
Why would someone bother making fake quarters? Seems like a lot of
work for, well, just a quarter.

--Tedward

Toronto used to have a major problem with counterfeit subway tickets and
tokens. Apparently millions in lost fares they claimed.

Basically why try to counterfeit $100 bills if everyone is looking out for
them when you can counterfeit 10 000 quarters when NOBODY looks for them.

Years ago when I bartended the bills to watch for were fives ($5). The
kids were smart too. They'd copy a five and use it in the bar at the
station with only blacklights. They had a slightly brighter glow than
real fives but if you didn't know about them you'd take them without a
thought
Old July 1st 10, 11:52 PM posted to clari.numistics,rec.sport.football.college,rec.collecting.coins
¤~Îñ©üßu§~¤

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:43:56 -0400, "The Ghost Of Edward M. Kennedy"
wrote:

I usuall don't pay much attention to what kind of change I get, but
I've gotten a bunch of counterfeit quarters lately that don't have
the eagle on the back. They look vaguely Canadian or something
(the detail is too small to make out without my reading glasses).
Why would someone bother making fake quarters? Seems like a lot of
work for, well, just a quarter.

--Tedward

Sure they're not the new quarters?

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...cQuarterDollar
Beginning in 2010, the United States Mint began issuing 56
quarter-dollar coins featuring designs depicting national parks and
other national sites as part of the United States Mint America the
Beautiful Quarters™ Program.

The five quarters to be released in 2010 will honor Hot Springs
National Park in Arkansas, Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming,
Yosemite National Park in California, Grand Canyon National Park in
Arizona and Mt. Hood National Forest in Oregon. Check out the America
the Beautiful Quarters National Site Register to find out which
national site in your state or U.S. territory was selected.

The new penny threw me, I thought it was a game token
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/lincolnRedesign/

Counterfeit Coins? Arizona Coin Collector Coins 3 November 9th 08 04:12 AM
Links On Counterfeit U S Coins Arizona Coin Collector Coins 1 August 25th 08 01:28 PM
Counterfeit US Coins Ira Coins 17 August 17th 07 11:39 PM
Counterfeit Coins Ockham's Razor Coins 1 June 22nd 07 06:45 PM
A good use for counterfeit coins Bruce Hickmott Coins 8 July 17th 04 01:47 AM