Franklin Mint offering a Morgan Dollar for $29.95...

Old March 14th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

Default Franklin Mint offering a Morgan Dollar for $29.95...

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:35:05 -0400, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:02:54 -0400, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
You are not the market for FM. The person who buys that Morgan from
FM would have to look in the Yellow Pages to find a coin dealer and
wouldn't know what coin to pick from the dealer's stash. If he did
find a coin shop, the dealer would probably charge him more for the
Morgan than you'd pay.

You position rests on the shaky surmise that all dealers are crooks.

Not at all. Coin dealers are often willing to negotiate price. A
knowledgeable coin collector may not offer the sticker price unless he
thinks the coin is undervalued, and even then he might dicker. The
FM customer thinks the sticker price is the right price and doesn't
know how to value the coin based on scarcity or condition.

So preying on the ignorance of people is accepatble to you?

It's hardly preying on ignorance if someone agrees to pay the price
asked for something.

There's nothing crooked about asking $50 for a coin that you are
willing to take $40 for. There's nothing crooked about accepting $45
for that coin even though you were willing to take $40 if offered and
there's nothing crooked about accepting $50 for it if the buyer
doesn't attempt to negotiate.

My local coin dealer has F-VF silver dollars in his display case clearly marked
at $20@- significantly less than the FM offers them for.
That price is right out there for everyone to see.
Yes, regular customers may get a few bucks off that price.

So preying on customers who aren't your regulars is acceptable to you?

See how silly your line of reasoning is?

Nevertheless, the FM's offering is a gross rip off and bad for numismatics in
general (don't even get me started on the coin dealer cable shows!)

You and Mr Remick seem to regard coins only as an investment. There
are people who are not interested in the investment angle but want to
own and hold a piece of history or an object that has some aesthetic
appeal to them. They are not concerned about saving $9.00 to own
something they want and they don't feel foolish for paying a small
premium for it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 14th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"tony cooper" wrote in message

My local coin dealer has F-VF silver dollars in his display case clearly
marked
at $20@- significantly less than the FM offers them for.
That price is right out there for everyone to see.
Yes, regular customers may get a few bucks off that price.

So preying on customers who aren't your regulars is acceptable to you?

See how silly your line of reasoning is?

It's your reasoning that's specious.
You attempt to defend the FMs shoddy sales practices.
The dealer I mentioned clearly has a marked price that beats the FM by about
50%.
That he would give his good customers a slightly better price than a walk in is
just good business practice, not "preying" on the walk in.

Old March 14th 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:13:36 -0400, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .

My local coin dealer has F-VF silver dollars in his display case clearly
marked
at $20@- significantly less than the FM offers them for.
That price is right out there for everyone to see.
Yes, regular customers may get a few bucks off that price.

So preying on customers who aren't your regulars is acceptable to you?

See how silly your line of reasoning is?

It's your reasoning that's specious.
You attempt to defend the FMs shoddy sales practices.

Not at all. What I am defending is the person who buys that Morgan
dollar. Its his money and his choice to spend on whatever he wants to
spend it on.

The dealer I mentioned clearly has a marked price that beats the FM by about
50%.
That he would give his good customers a slightly better price than a walk in is
just good business practice, not "preying" on the walk in.

Of course its just good business practice. Selling something for the
posted price is also just good business practice. It is not preying
on the ignorant.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 15th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Until the new owners (the last new owners lol)...FM advertising and
marketing was very professional and well concieved. The ads of the
70's, 80's, and 90's are all about the quality you will recieve,
exclusivity, and an intrinsic investment, or invest in history for
your kids...that kind of stuff.

Yes, I think this ad is corny about the Morgan. But I ordered it as I
am glad FM still has some type of a pulse...and I wanted the poster
too. The coin and wallet are not bad. Perfectly fine for the
price.

On Mar 14, 4:29*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

It's not what they make. *It's how they often market it.

Old March 15th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"MKW" wrote in message
But I ordered it ...

Very brave of you to admit that you are a complete idiot.

Old March 15th 10, 06:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

I am an idiot because I bought what I wanted? I wanted the FM branded
product...its not about the Morgan Dollar for me.

Old March 15th 10, 06:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

I like the past issues of the FM, the medals, etc. The products were
better made than anything out there. Made in the USA by the finest
sculptor, artisitc, and production staff. Most of the current US
Mint sculpting team used to work for Franklin Mint. The reason the
designs suck now at the US mint is because they have political
correctness forced on them.

I enjoy collecting private mint items. If a packaged morgan dollar is
all they are currently issuing then I will support it. Hopefully a
medallic set will be next on the drawing board.

Old March 15th 10, 01:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"MKW" wrote in message
I like the past issues of the FM, the medals, etc. The products were
better made than anything out there. Made in the USA by the finest
sculptor, artisitc, and production staff. Most of the current US
Mint sculpting team used to work for Franklin Mint. The reason the
designs suck now at the US mint is because they have political
correctness forced on them.

I enjoy collecting private mint items. If a packaged morgan dollar is
all they are currently issuing then I will support it. Hopefully a
medallic set will be next on the drawing board.

=========

Hopefully then, for the sake of society, FM will take a different approach
to marketing it if it hopes to reclaim any of its former reputation.

Old March 15th 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"MKW" wrote in message
I enjoy collecting private mint items. If a packaged morgan dollar is

all they are currently issuing then I will support it. Hopefully a
medallic set will be next on the drawing board.

Except this isn't a private mint item, it's just a grossly overpriced Morgan
dollar in a cheap plastic case.
It's your money and you have a right to throw it away if you want.
A fool and his money and all that...

Old March 15th 10, 05:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

But there is nothing wrong with a company packaging US coins into a
themed set. The old ancient coins FM used to sell were assembled into
some classy collections...like Coins of Mt Olympus. $10-$20 price
difference is not grossly overpriced unless you are a cheap person
that expects everything to be a bargain. If I wanted to build a set
of serious Morgans I would go to a dealer. But thats not my goal with
purchasing an item such as this.