I have a collection of old coins!

Old August 14th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
alan.holmes

Default I have a collection of old coins!

Which I would like to dispose of, how/where can I find someone to sell them
to who will not fleece me?

I'm in the Windsor/Slough area.

Thanks.

Alan

Old August 14th 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ice Torch

On 14 Aug, 19:51, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Which I would like to dispose of, how/where can I find someone to sell them
to who will not fleece me?

I'm in the Windsor/Slough area.

Thanks.

Alan

Could you elaborate? What kind of coins do you have to sell? British
coins or world coins? How old are they? What condition are they in?

If you could put up some scans on my own favourite forum, www.worldofcoins.eu,
I'm sure the members would be able to give you some advice.

Old August 17th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Aug 16, 3:23*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Is no one going to talk to me?

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

Which I would like to dispose of, how/where can I find someone to sell
them to who will not fleece me?

I'm in the Windsor/Slough area.

Thanks.

Alan- Hide quoted text -

Ice asked for more specifics. As soon as you provide them, some of us
may be able to help you.

For a quick response, just because a coin is old doesn't necessaril;y
make it "valuable." Some coins, in spite of age, may be worth twice
their face value. Do you really want to go through the aggravation of
getting 2¢ for a common date old wheat back cent?

Jerry
Old August 17th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
alan.holmes

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 3:23 pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Is no one going to talk to me?

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

Which I would like to dispose of, how/where can I find someone to sell
them to who will not fleece me?

I'm in the Windsor/Slough area.

Thanks.

Alan- Hide quoted text -

Ice asked for more specifics. As soon as you provide them, some of us

may be able to help you.

I did not see any post from Ice, whoever (s)he is

For a quick response, just because a coin is old doesn't necessaril;y

make it "valuable." Some coins, in spite of age, may be worth twice
their face value. Do you really want to go through the aggravation of
getting 2¢ for a common date old wheat back cent?

These are English coins in the region of 1920 to abot 1950, copper and
silver, pennies, halfpennies, farthings, sixpences, shillings, florins and
half crowns.

Alan

Jerry

Old August 18th 10, 03:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Aug 17, 2:52*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
[...]

We do have a couple of English collectors who may be able to give you
a better answer than I did previously. Check back for their response.

Jerry
Old August 18th 10, 05:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Irwin

alan.holmes wrote:

These are English coins in the region of 1920 to abot 1950, copper and
silver, pennies, halfpennies, farthings, sixpences, shillings, florins and
half crowns.

Silver coins in the 1920-1946 date range are 50% silver.
There is one troy ounce per 11 shillings. From 1947 on, the
silver coins are cupronickel.

With the exception of a few key dates, only those coins which
are either in Uncirculated (no wear) or Extremely Fine (very slight
wear) are likely to be worth much of a premium.

Tony Clayton has a very good price list on the web.
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/index.html

My experience is that with most common early 20th century
coins, catalogues tend to be optimistic about the premium
people are willing to pay for coins below EF condition,
so if a coin is listed for 1 pound in VF and 8 pounds in EF,
it may actually be easier to find a buyer for the EF coin.

This means that valuing your coin requires that you teach
yourself something about coin grading. EF in British grading
is a pretty strict grade which allows only a bit of wear to the
highest points in the design.

Do not attempt to clean or shine up any coins. It won't improve
them, and may kill quite a bit of the value and interest that
a coin collector would have in an unmessed with coin.

Peter.

Old August 18th 10, 10:39 AM
helen07 helen07 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.holmes View Post
Which I would like to dispose of, how/where can I find someone to sell them
to who will not fleece me?

I'm in the Windsor/Slough area.

Thanks.

Alan
If you want to sell your collection of old coins, you should display them on the forum and regard to How much do they cost? I'm sure that many people are interested in the information.