The sociological relevance of philately.

Old June 20th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default The sociological relevance of philately.

Whilst Googling for "word limits"
this popped up.
Worth a read?
http://www.trinity.edu/departments/a...hilatelist.htm

Old June 20th 09, 10:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"rodney" wrote in message
Whilst Googling for "word limits"
this popped up.
Worth a read?
http://www.trinity.edu/departments/a...hilatelist.htm

Yes, thanks for the link, Rodney (who more than any other keeps going this
ng)!

I especially liked this part: "Among stamp collectors, part of the incentive
involves conserving something easily discarded. To preserve in such a highly
disposable society such as ours – without tearing, folding, staining,
fading, or mildewing – a stamped piece of paper mailed many decades ago is a
victory against time, a triumph of the preservation motive. "

BTW, stamp collecting as a fight for the preservation of the personal memory
could be an interesting topic too.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old June 21st 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:25:18 +0200, Victor Manta wrote:

I especially liked this part: "Among stamp collectors, part of the
incentive involves conserving something easily discarded. To preserve in
such a highly disposable society such as ours – without tearing,
folding, staining, fading, or mildewing – a stamped piece of paper
mailed many decades ago is a victory against time, a triumph of the
preservation motive. "

BTW, stamp collecting as a fight for the preservation of the personal
memory could be an interesting topic too.

I think Victor and I corresponded about this precise topic some time
ago. I consider philately, at its best, to be one of the most "green"
pastimes (maybe a selling point given how popular such things have become
of late.) It's like recreational dumpster/skip diving. :^)

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old June 21st 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:25:18 +0200, Victor Manta wrote:

I especially liked this part: "Among stamp collectors, part of the
incentive involves conserving something easily discarded. To preserve in
such a highly disposable society such as ours – without tearing,
folding, staining, fading, or mildewing – a stamped piece of paper
mailed many decades ago is a victory against time, a triumph of the
preservation motive. "

BTW, stamp collecting as a fight for the preservation of the personal
memory could be an interesting topic too.

I think Victor and I corresponded about this precise topic some time
ago.

Oops, I've forgotten about this topic, as about some others too.

--
Victor Manta

Old June 22nd 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:38:45 +0200, Victor Manta wrote:

I think Victor and I corresponded about this precise topic some time
ago.

Oops, I've forgotten about this topic, as about some others too.

No, it wasn't meant as correction. It just gives me another chance to
pretend to be brilliant and inspired. :^)

Old June 22nd 09, 07:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:38:45 +0200, Victor Manta wrote:

I think Victor and I corresponded about this precise topic some time
ago.

Oops, I've forgotten about this topic, as about some others too.

No, it wasn't meant as correction. It just gives me another chance to
pretend to be brilliant and inspired. :^)

I haven't thought my words as correction but as self-derision (the subject
being the preservation of the personal memory by stamp collecting).

Yes, I know, English is difficult :-)

BTW, posting is not bad either, because at least I don't forget the
alphabet, and where is the keyboard.

--
Victor Manta

Welcome to my Philately Blog soccer Marketplace 0 May 30th 07 07:35 AM
philately + coin Bret Marketplace 0 April 8th 06 08:16 PM
Scandinavian Philately [email protected] General Discussion 0 March 20th 06 12:48 PM
Philately as zeitgist ... phos45 General Discussion 5 December 24th 05 07:36 PM
Get your Doctorate of Philately Don General Discussion 0 August 17th 05 04:24 PM