On opposing a club's policies

Old July 15th 03, 11:44 AM

Hmmm, ..... Next someone will be writing that those who did not favor
the invasion of Iraq should resign their citizenship and perhaps leave
the country.
..
Charlie Jensen

Live right,
Eat right,
Exercise ... ... ... Die anyway !

Old July 15th 03, 08:36 PM
A.M.Heindorff

Herb F. wrote in message
Some interesting comments to my post.

The bottom line (and the story really has nothing to do about guns
although some people with a hidden agenda will try to make it into an
anti or pro-gun debate) is that no organization has the right to
publicly state that all of it's members believe in anything unless they
take a vote.

If the NRA says that 2 million of it's members believe that everyone has
the right to bear arms (or wear silly hats or whatever), then they need
to poll those members. Nobody ever asked me my opinion. They assumed it.

I did not much care for having someone say to me, "NRA? Oh you are one
of those crazy *******s that thinks that a convicted wife-beater fresh
out of prison and on meds to control his bi-polar problems needs to have
an AK47." Why should I look like an idiot because a PR man at NRA HQs
feels it is his responsibility to see that everyone in the world can
pack a semiautomatic weapon?

Now I repeat, I am a shooter. I have five pistols and 3 rifles. This is
not about the weapons. It is about a national organization making
comments in your name.

What are your options? Very few. Leaving that group is about the only
one that is of any significance.

No-one, be it national organizations or individual, should
make comments in your name. Anyone has the right
to his/her opinion and even to state it in public, without
someone else making comments in his/her name, neither
directly nor indirectly. But they will do again and again,
no matter how much you object. So there is only one
way out: leaving the group or individual that abuses you.

Mette

Old July 16th 03, 08:49 AM
Victor Manta

"A.M.Heindorff" wrote in message

No-one, be it national organizations or individual, should
make comments in your name. Anyone has the right
to his/her opinion and even to state it in public, without
someone else making comments in his/her name, neither
directly nor indirectly. But they will do again and again,
no matter how much you object. So there is only one
way out: leaving the group or individual that abuses you.

Mette

If an organization is hindered in making comments or in operating in the
name of its members then such an organization is totally blocked, and
therefore useless. Polling the members in all questions isn't efficient. For
this reasons members are usually asked to adhere to an organization after
having attentively read its bylaws. If the leaders of an organization
operate in conformity with their statutes, then there is no abuse, but a
right, and even an obligation of the leaders to behave this way.

In a free country anybody who hasn't read or hasn't understood the statutes
(or for any other reasons or without any reason) can resign from any
organization, this being obvious for any really free country.

Victor Manta