1898 U.S. Specimen Stamp

Old July 8th 03, 03:41 AM
Ed Jackson

Default 1898 U.S. Specimen Stamp

Five or six years ago, I purchased in auction a specimen of the 1898
U.S. $2.00 Trans-Mississippi Exposition stamp (Scott 293S). Sam Houston
Philatelics described the stamp as "XF unusued with 'Specimen' ovpt in
violet." The centering is near-perfect, and the word "Specimen" is in
tiny letters at the far right of the vignette. To view the stamp, go to:

www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/scott293S.jpg

I assume that because it is a specimen, you cannot described it as
"mint." The stamp does not appear to have gum. I can't imagine why they
would need to apply gum to a specimen, but thought I would ask if the
Bureau of Engraving and Printing in 1898 applied gum to specimens?
Additionally, I would also be interested in finding out more about the
role of specimens. During which time period were specimens produced and
what was their purpose?

Ed Jackson
Old July 8th 03, 03:49 AM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:41:04 -0400, Ed Jackson
wrote:

Five or six years ago, I purchased in auction a specimen of the 1898
U.S. $2.00 Trans-Mississippi Exposition stamp (Scott 293S). Sam Houston
Philatelics described the stamp as "XF unusued with 'Specimen' ovpt in
violet." The centering is near-perfect, and the word "Specimen" is in
tiny letters at the far right of the vignette. To view the stamp, go to:

www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/scott293S.jpg

I assume that because it is a specimen, you cannot described it as
"mint." The stamp does not appear to have gum. I can't imagine why they
would need to apply gum to a specimen, but thought I would ask if the
Bureau of Engraving and Printing in 1898 applied gum to specimens?
Additionally, I would also be interested in finding out more about the
role of specimens. During which time period were specimens produced and
what was their purpose?

If not mistaken, specimens were sent to UPU? I have foreign specimens
both with and without gum, both postal and revenue.

As per the gum thing, more than likely a prt of one run was
handstamped or passed through another press and put specimen on it.

Maybe yours was soaked of the gum to keep it looking nice.

BTW, it does like quite nice.

Tracy Barber
Old July 8th 03, 01:17 PM
Doug Spade

"Ed Jackson" wrote in message
[...]

Based on my 1999 Scott catalog reference to values in the specimen section
as being for "a grade of fine-very fine, with at least part original gum," I
would guess that most if not all specimen stamps were issued with gum.

I also found reference on a prior auction to a Trans-Mississippi set with
full original gum, which also notes that most of these stamps are either
without gum or faulty.

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

It appears U.S. specimens were issued beginning with Scott #7 and continuing
through #327, along with a variety of BOB items as well. The most recent
would be a couple of savings stamps issued in 1917-18.

Mike