Best holder for type set?

Old July 23rd 03, 04:22 AM
John Patrick

Default Best holder for type set?

I've decided to add some type coins to my collection, and realized
that I'm getting close to a type set. So, I'm trying to figure out
the best way to hold and/or present a type set.

There are those books, with the sliding plastic, but I'm not to
sure about those.

Then there are 2x2s, both cardboard/mylar and the plastic ones, but
that's how I'm doing my current collection, and I want my type set
to "be different."

There are airtites, which I like, and I seem to remember some sort of
drawer system, but I think they were for specific coin sets, not a
type set (where the airtite holder size might change from one hole to
the next). Also, this is a bit more expensive than the above, but what
good is a $X,XYZ collection in $0.03 holders?

So, how are you storing/presenting your type collection?

John
--
John Patrick -- N9OU
Team Saber Competitive Robotics

Old July 23rd 03, 01:33 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:22:58 GMT, "John Patrick"
is alleged to have written:

I've decided to add some type coins to my collection, and realized
that I'm getting close to a type set. So, I'm trying to figure out
the best way to hold and/or present a type set.

There are those books, with the sliding plastic, but I'm not to
sure about those.

Then there are 2x2s, both cardboard/mylar and the plastic ones, but
that's how I'm doing my current collection, and I want my type set
to "be different."

There are airtites, which I like, and I seem to remember some sort of
drawer system, but I think they were for specific coin sets, not a
type set (where the airtite holder size might change from one hole to
the next). Also, this is a bit more expensive than the above, but what
good is a $X,XYZ collection in $0.03 holders?

So, how are you storing/presenting your type collection?

John

My proof type set is in slabs, so I suppose that doesn't help much. My circ
type set I kept in one of those slide albums like you describe above but after a
few years the cheap lincoln memorial proof started toning and spotting. So now
the coins that fit are in snaplocks and the ones that don't fit are in kointains
and the ones that don't fit either ware in safe flips. Not a very good setup, I
admit.

Bruce

Old July 23rd 03, 07:17 PM
MIckey

Not an expert here, since I am still working on my cent type set, but
I am only missing a 1/2 cent piece, have a 2 cent and 3 cent piece on
the way to me. I use the plastic 3 ring binder pages, not the 2X2
pockets, but the next larger size pockets. They will hold most any
size container. I use snap tites, or the round Koin Tains (I think
they are called) for odd ball sizes like the Large Cents. If you find
that one of your coin containers has a tendecy to slip out of the
pocket, cut a small thin strip of velcro and close the top of the
pocket up with velcro. I then type up an information write up that I
composed for each coin on double folded paper behind the coin. Tells
what it is, number minted, interesting history, how it relates to the
other coins in the set. I find that people actually take time to look
at my coins and read the details. Makes it more interesting to them,
and generates conversation. I take the advice of my local coin
dealer, who told me when I started buying very expensive coin
containers "Why are you spending more for the container than the coin
is worth?"