In person auction report

Old October 26th 03, 09:46 PM
MikeCouil

Default In person auction report

I haven't actually looked in the current beckett but supposedly this guy took
out a 710.00 ad for the auction I went to today.

The return on his investment? 6 local people showed up, all of whom I know as
local auction junkies who probably responded from the same direct mail ad that
I got.

Although I got a few deals and managed to spend some money, it was a REAL big
dissapointment. The first half of the auction had some deals to be had, with
topps baseball factory sets averaging low 20's and boxes of misc quality cards
going for 2-3 dollars each. I even bought a couple barbie dolls. Halfway
through the auction, just as I was high bidder on a binder full of "master
stroke" genuine autographs, the owner of all the cards came in. Nobody knew
who he was until later on. He was high bidder on just about everything. The
problem? He was getting 2-3 times high book for everything as it was and he was
STILL buying it all back. A lot of it was absolute garbage. I didn't figure
out who it was until I talked to the guy who's stuff I THOUGHT it was and when
he said no I put 2 and 2 together.

Only reason I hung around for was a 1996 Leaf signature A-Rod, a Yogi Berra
significant signature, a 1996 Leaf Maddux auto, and a 97 Flair Hideo Nomo 1 of
1 masterpiece. NONE of them sold. The guy shut the auction down before the
auctioneer got to the stuff because he was tired of paying the sales commission
on stuff he was buying back (which is actually illegal in minnesota). The
auctioneer allowed everyone to deal with him directly afterword. One guy asked
about the Nomo 1 of 1 and the owner said "I need 35 on it and I'm sure I wont
get it". A couple of us would have paid 35 and one mentioned he'd open it up
at that and the owner responded "no, I mean 3500.00. That's a 7000.00 card."
He wanted 500.00 on the Maddux, 250.00 on the berra, and I didn't hang around
for anything else.

Best part of the auction? Meeting up with a guy who has a TON of vintage that
is going to help me fill sets for 20 percent high book (his stuff is in SUPER
shape).

Here is a link to the auction website that showed some of the "highlights".

http://www.midwestauctions.com/schie...ate/index.html
Old October 27th 03, 03:04 AM
The Cardmaster

Wow...that guy must have been a ****in idiot!!
Hilarious! Why didn't he just sell them on eBay?
Whatta moron!

Old November 1st 03, 03:59 AM
MikeCouil

Sell them on ebay? There's no way in hell. They wouldn't sell at all. He was
getting GOOD money for his stuff and STILL bought most of it back.

Mike