the question on what to collect next

Old May 6th 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ron

Default the question on what to collect next

hi all -

i normally am a lurker here and usually spend more time working with
my stamps than on the computer but a recent hand operation leaves me
with only one hand for the time being - also the reason for no upper
case in this message... i now better understand the question that one
collector asked a few months ago in linn's - how can you effectively
work on your collection with one hand...

i haven't been a collector that long - since about 1992. my mom got
me started. of course, being in the u.s. i started collecting mint
u.s. i've finally reached that point where only the expensive issues
are all that i have left to get - which means roughly pre-1920 or so.
that being said, i decided to jump to another country. after watching
the history channel one day i decided to wade into the stamp waters of
germany - third reich only. after further looking i decided to go
back and include those from the republic as well. so, armed with a
lighthouse album i began - and continue with those. about that same
time stamps from the u.k. caught my eye - the machins and those up to
elizabeth ii.
i can't believe that there was a time when i thought there would be
nothing left to collect - but i wasn't looking at all the many
different areas of philately.

anyway, just thought i would contribute at least one message to this
group since i've lurked so long.

regards,

ron

how about those stamps from the pitcairn islands - they also look
pretty good to me.....

Old May 6th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

"ron" wrote in message
ps.com...
hi all -

how about those stamps from the pitcairn islands - they also look
pretty good to me.....

G'day Ron,
Pitcairn, founded by mutineers, and they havn't changed much.
they burn stamps
http://cjoint.com/data/fgm14ObXi2.htm

Old May 6th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter[_2_]

ron schrieb:
[...]

Hi
Why did you stop collectig U.S. and jump to another country? There are
lots and lots more items, worth collecting in U.S. than mint stamps.
What about used stamps, covers, postal stationary, bureau cancells,
perfins and so on and so on?

regards
Peter
Old May 6th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ron

hi peter,

i guess i did give the impression that i stopped collecting u.s. but i
haven't. that's still ongoing. i have collected a few covers - a
group that i refer to as the "disaster covers" i.e. hindenburg, uss
arizona & indianapolis, challenger, and just picked up not long ago
one signed by paul tibbs.

as far as the others go my interest is not there yet - but - i know
that as time rolls along my interests change and maybe one day bureau
cancels will be something i pick up on.

Old May 7th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On May 6, 10:44�am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
On 6 May 2007 02:37:42 -0700, ron found these unused
words floating about:

hi all -

i normally am a lurker here and usually spend more time working with
my stamps than on the computer but a recent hand operation leaves me
with only one hand for the time being - also the reason for no upper
case in this message... *i now better understand the question that one
collector asked a few months ago in linn's - how can you effectively
work on your collection with one hand...

Develop methods to accomplish rather than complain and say "I can't !"

... and before the usual jump on by some members ... those who really want
to do something will, if possible, find a way to do so, those who don't,
won't!

As for your caps, if you're using winblows, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove
Programs/ select the Second Tab (Set-up) and install "Accessibility"
functions by checking the box

You'll then have 'sticky' Shift and other 'two handed' keys!

When you no longer need them, return and uncheck the box and winblows will
remove the 'sticky' component.

Sounds like this is coming from someone who has been there and done
that.
( P. S. Please contact me offline, I do not want to upset the ones who
oppose OT posts in this group. I am desperate. .)

Ralphael, the OLD one