Rowe R-83 Magazine Motor chatters after scan

Old March 25th 05, 02:45 PM
joe_x

Default Rowe R-83 Magazine Motor chatters after scan

I've got a problem with intermittant magazine motor chattering.
Occasionally (1 out of 20 times approx) the magazine motor chatters after
the scan. The magazine stops at the correct record, and record is picked
and plays, but the magazine chatters. Cancelling the selection, and moving
to the next selection resolves the chatter. I have adjusted the magazine
motor detent switch per the adj. procedure (several times), and assured
that there are no burrs on the cam or solonoid binds etc,. Taking some
tension off the magazine belt improved the condition, but has not
eliminated it. Manually moving the magazine will stop the chatter. Any
ideas ?

Old March 25th 05, 03:30 PM
Ken Layton

A bad gear inside the magazine motor itself?

Old March 25th 05, 06:35 PM
Tenpin

Check the Magazine Detent Switch, it may have intermittent contact or
otherwise be bad. Also check the adjustment of the plunger in the Magazine
Detent Solenoid. it may also have become sticky or contaminated with
something to make it sluggish. There is also an electromagnetic clutch on
the magazine Drive motor. If this is not dis-engaging properly when the AC
is disconnected to the motor ( via the detent micro switch ) this chattering
can also occour. When power is applied to the motor, the armature pulls in
closer to the motor coil and engages the gears in the gear section of the
motor assy. The armature on the Transfer Motor assy works in the same way.
lkaboutcollecting.com...

Old March 26th 05, 03:23 PM
joe_x

Thanks Ken, I'll take a harder look at the motor

Old March 26th 05, 03:25 PM
joe_x

Thanks for the detailed response. I will revisit all the areas you
mentioned, and post a follow-up reply.

Old March 27th 05, 07:22 PM
joe_x

Problem solved.
I reviewed the areas mentioned in earlier e-mails, and all adjustments
looked good, so I dug a little deeper. I found that the adj for the
encoder gear wiper assembly was slightly retarded. In hindsight, I believe
that the adjustment error caused the mech to think the proper record had
not been located, so it attempted to move the magazine even though the
detent pawl had dropped into the wheel. Thanks to Ken Layton and Tenpin
for responding to my question.

Old March 29th 05, 09:14 PM
John Robertson

You also should make sure the armature for the primary rotor is oiled.
I recommend a drop of oil on the shaft so the armature drops out as
soon as the power is removed from the motor. If the oil has dried up
then the armature doesn't release fast enough and you can get a
clicking sound as it pulls away.

You did oil the motor when you were looking at it, didn't you??

John :-#)#

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:22:32 -0500, "joe_x"
wrote:

Problem solved.
I reviewed the areas mentioned in earlier e-mails, and all adjustments
looked good, so I dug a little deeper. I found that the adj for the
encoder gear wiper assembly was slightly retarded. In hindsight, I believe
that the adjustment error caused the mech to think the proper record had
not been located, so it attempted to move the magazine even though the
detent pawl had dropped into the wheel. Thanks to Ken Layton and Tenpin
for responding to my question.

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com