21 days until VANPEX

Old September 18th 04, 02:39 AM
Bob Ingraham

Default 21 days until VANPEX

There are only 21 sleeps left until VANPEX 2004 (the VANcouver
Philatelic EXhibition). I am happy to report that we've passed a
milestone for VANPEX. As of this past Wednesday, we stopped accepting
applications to exhibit (not that we actually expected any more
applications!). The show opens Oct. 8 in Richmond,

The show features four seminars (Trans-Pacific postal history with
Gray Scrimgeour, WWII philately with Bill Pekonen, exhibiting
techniques with Sam Chiu and Dr. John Powell, and Chinese postal
history with Sam Chiu) 19 dealers manning 29 tables, two postal
admistrations (Canada Post & St. Pierre & Miquelon), three show
covers, doorprizes, and sales of our new and very popular B.C.
Philatelic Society coffee mug.

The heart of the show is of course the exhibit. Here are the stats:

Total National-Level Exhibits: 30

Total Regional-Level Exhibits: 12

Total Number of Frames: 178

Adult Exhibitors:33
(29 are Canadians, four are American)

Youth Exhibtors:

-- Under Age 12: 1
-- 12-15 Years of Age: 2
-- 16-21 Years of Age: 1

Types of Exhibits:

-- Traditional Philately – Canada & BNA: 2

-- Traditional Philately – GB & Commonweatlh: 1

-- Traditional Philately – Foreign: 2

-- Postal History – Worldwide: 8

-- Topical & thematic Philately: 6

-- Aerophilately & Astrophilately: 3

-- Back of Book – Special Studies: 4

-- Display Class: 6

-- One-Frame Exhibits: 6

Canadian Provinces Represented: 22 exhibitors from British Columbia,
three each from Alberta and Ontario, one from Nova Scotia.

U.S. States Represented: One exhibitor each from Georgia, Maryland,
Montana, and Ohio.

I hope that some of you can attend VANPEX 2004. It promises to be a
great show!

Thanks to everyone who has offered emotional support or gone the extra
mile to send in their exhibit applications. In case you have never
been involved in organizing a national-level exhibit (or any
philatelic exhibit, for that matter), it's a huge job, but kinda
fun....

Bob Ingraham
VANPEX 2004 Exhibits Chair