Tom Cruise~Australia's greatest Postman

Old August 6th 04, 04:43 PM
Rodney

Default Tom Cruise~Australia's greatest Postman

Ooops,
That should read Tom Kruse.
If you every get an opportunity to see this very interesting film,
don't miss it.
Shows the Australia we all loved (and miss)

I think this film won an award in Venice around the late 50's?

See Tom and one of the most famous Mail Trucks in the world.

http://www.lastmailfrombirdsville.com/

Old August 9th 04, 11:20 AM
malcolm hirst

Rodney
I vaguely remember at school in about 1960 seeing a documentary about
a truck operating through the outback taking everything to an isolated
settlement( including I always remember a shop-window mannequin - the
driver was shown waltzing with at one point on an overnight stop). The
vehicle was a British(Australian?) army 4 x 4 3-tonner of the 1939-45
War variety - possibly a Bedford. Is this the original film - or do
you know the film I refer to? The vehicle shown on the film publicity
on your link is definitely not the vehicle in the film.This film was
shown as part of our Geography course on Australia and I suppose it
could have been a "Ministry Of Information" (or the Australian
equivalent) film.Isn't it strange that out of all the films you see
some images are indelibly printed on the memory. I guess in this case
the film had its required result - and no to my knowledge a question
on the subject did not come up in the end-of-term exam - pity really!
Regards
Malcolm

Old August 10th 04, 02:09 AM
Rodney

Yep!
Malcolm that's the film indeed.
I remember it as you do.
The images I recall were on his
trips across swollen flood plains in his truck, (It is a Leyland "Blitz" BTW)
and it is indeed shown in the publicity, you just have to look harder
I am going to order the CD.

When I was a tacker, I had a Dinky toy set of the "Blitz" and a 25pound field gun
It has a charm of it's own. (beautifully ugly)

Here is another famous mail truck "Old Bill" with "Digger" Franklin
posing complete with "band-aid"
Field Post Office 1940
Taken from the Aust Post "The ANZAC Tradition"

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=425

enjoy

Old August 10th 04, 02:31 AM
Rodney

Well! knot my knickers!
Apologies to our American cousins,

The truck is a Chevrolet "Blitz" not Leyland as I had thought.

http://www.busandtruckmuseum.org.au/exhibs/011.htm

| Yep!
| Malcolm that's the film indeed.
| I remember it as you do.
| The images I recall were on his
| trips across swollen flood plains in his truck, (It is a Leyland "Blitz" BTW)
| and it is indeed shown in the publicity, you just have to look harder
| I am going to order the CD.
|
| When I was a tacker, I had a Dinky toy set of the "Blitz" and a 25pound field gun
| It has a charm of it's own. (beautifully ugly)
|
| Here is another famous mail truck "Old Bill" with "Digger" Franklin
| posing complete with "band-aid"
| Field Post Office 1940
| Taken from the Aust Post "The ANZAC Tradition"
|
| http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=425
|
| enjoy
|

| | Rodney
| | I vaguely remember at school in about 1960 seeing a documentary about
| | a truck operating through the outback taking everything to an isolated
| | settlement( including I always remember a shop-window mannequin - the
| | driver was shown waltzing with at one point on an overnight stop). The
| | vehicle was a British(Australian?) army 4 x 4 3-tonner of the 1939-45
| | War variety - possibly a Bedford. Is this the original film - or do
| | you know the film I refer to? The vehicle shown on the film publicity
| | on your link is definitely not the vehicle in the film.This film was
| | shown as part of our Geography course on Australia and I suppose it
| | could have been a "Ministry Of Information" (or the Australian
| | equivalent) film.Isn't it strange that out of all the films you see
| | some images are indelibly printed on the memory. I guess in this case
| | the film had its required result - and no to my knowledge a question
| | on the subject did not come up in the end-of-term exam - pity really!
| | Regards
| | Malcolm
| |

Old August 10th 04, 09:20 PM
malcolm hirst

Hello Rodney
Yes that is definitely the vehicle. Not unlike the Bedford 3-tonner,
but thats not surprising really - Chevrolet and Bedford were both
divisions of general Motors - and I suppose really that the
specification for standardised military trucks being similar an
overall similar appearance is inevitable. What made me think of the
Bedford was the winch bar across the front of the radiator,which was
very much the trade mark of the WW2 Bedford.
I didn't see the the truck on the publicity material as my attention
was taken by the Leyland Beaver. I used to be a bus driver and I was
always fond of Leylands - now alas no more- having being absorbed by
some Swedish outfit beginning with V.
Regards
Malcolm

"Rodney" wrote in message ...
Well! knot my knickers!
Apologies to our American cousins,

The truck is a Chevrolet "Blitz" not Leyland as I had thought.

http://www.busandtruckmuseum.org.au/exhibs/011.htm

| Yep!
| Malcolm that's the film indeed.
| I remember it as you do.
| The images I recall were on his
| trips across swollen flood plains in his truck, (It is a Leyland "Blitz" BTW)
| and it is indeed shown in the publicity, you just have to look harder
| I am going to order the CD.
|
| When I was a tacker, I had a Dinky toy set of the "Blitz" and a 25pound field gun
| It has a charm of it's own. (beautifully ugly)
|
| Here is another famous mail truck "Old Bill" with "Digger" Franklin
| posing complete with "band-aid"
| Field Post Office 1940
| Taken from the Aust Post "The ANZAC Tradition"
|
| http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=425
|
| enjoy
|

| | Rodney
| | I vaguely remember at school in about 1960 seeing a documentary about
| | a truck operating through the outback taking everything to an isolated
| | settlement( including I always remember a shop-window mannequin - the
| | driver was shown waltzing with at one point on an overnight stop). The
| | vehicle was a British(Australian?) army 4 x 4 3-tonner of the 1939-45
| | War variety - possibly a Bedford. Is this the original film - or do
| | you know the film I refer to? The vehicle shown on the film publicity
| | on your link is definitely not the vehicle in the film.This film was
| | shown as part of our Geography course on Australia and I suppose it
| | could have been a "Ministry Of Information" (or the Australian
| | equivalent) film.Isn't it strange that out of all the films you see
| | some images are indelibly printed on the memory. I guess in this case
| | the film had its required result - and no to my knowledge a question
| | on the subject did not come up in the end-of-term exam - pity really!
| | Regards
| | Malcolm
| |

Old August 18th 04, 01:03 AM

[...]