Coin club meeting April 8th, 04

Old April 9th 04, 06:52 AM
Bill Krummel

Default Coin club meeting April 8th, 04

Joplin Tristate Coin Club, 2nd Thursday each month, 7 pm, one block south of
7th & Duquesne, Joplin, Missouri, community center, east side of Duquesne
Rd.

Attendance was off tonight. We have been getting close to 40; tonight was
mid twenties. Next year, an effort will be made to make sure the meeting is
not held the Thursday before Easter Sunday.

It was suggested that the post card reminder mailings be discontinued and
the savings applied towards monthly door prizes. Email reminders, for those
with internet connections, will replace post cards. Those who want a
reminder and do not have a computer or internet access will continue to
receive snail mail reminders. New members will receive reminders of one
kind or another until they feel the reminders are no longer needed.

One member read selected parts of an article by Q. David Bowers concerning
the 1903-S Morgan dollar. The reading was educational, but..... the members
on either side of me were muttering under their breath and squirming in
their chairs. I think it did go on a little too long for a reading,
approximately 15 minutes. A fifteen minute presentation, with visuals,
would probably be all right, but to listen to someone read from an article
for 15 minutes does not lend itself to a spellbinding experience. Anyway, I
am glad someone is trying to inject some interesting numismatic history, for
sure. I don't know how to give constructive criticism without discouraging
the member.

For show & tell, I passed around the copy of the Jefferson nickel with the
award winning Felix Schlag reverse design. I also passed around the weird
looking token that I had posted about the other day, the one that Coin Saver
suggested may be a Trekkie design. My show & tell took 2-3 minutes.

One member recognized the token as an Egyptian souvenir token, given to
tourists. Until I hear anything different, I am assuming he knew what he
was talking about.

Fewer auctions this month, paralleling the fewer attendance. Lots of Morgan
dollars this month, all grades, a harder date or two in low grades, mostly
raw, but one custom case of eight NGC MS64s. No gold. Some unc, common
date Franklin halfs. A Barber half, 1909, in VF. A bag of 28 circulated
IHCs, a lot of silver bullion, rolls and bags. Other stuff, nothing
particularly exciting.

I won three auctions; a 1958 proof set with light cameo obverses on the half
and quarter and some neat, faint rainbow rim toning on the half and
quarter(yellow/gold, then blue, burgundy, then orange/gold); a machine
wrapped, original roll of 1979-D SBAs with creamy toning on the end pieces;
and a France 100 Francs 1986 Piefort struck on a special double thick
planchet. P972, 5,000 mintage, honoring the centennial of the Statue of
Liberty. .900 fine, .868 oz silver. Here are my winnings ( I have the 100
franc next to a US quarter for sizing);

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...uctionwins.JPG

Bill

Old April 9th 04, 08:46 AM
Winde Walker

Bill Krummel wrote:

I won three auctions; a 1958 proof set with light cameo obverses on the half
and quarter and some neat, faint rainbow rim toning on the half and
quarter(yellow/gold, then blue, burgundy, then orange/gold); a machine
wrapped, original roll of 1979-D SBAs with creamy toning on the end pieces;
and a France 100 Francs 1986 Piefort struck on a special double thick
planchet. P972, 5,000 mintage, honoring the centennial of the Statue of
Liberty. .900 fine, .868 oz silver. Here are my winnings ( I have the 100
franc next to a US quarter for sizing);

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...uctionwins.JPG

Bill

What do you plan to do with the 58?

Winde
'drooling'
Old April 9th 04, 03:23 PM
Bill Krummel

"Winde Walker" wrote in message
Bill Krummel wrote:

I won three auctions; a 1958 proof set with light cameo obverses on the

half
and quarter and some neat, faint rainbow rim toning on the half and
quarter(yellow/gold, then blue, burgundy, then orange/gold); a machine
wrapped, original roll of 1979-D SBAs with creamy toning on the end

pieces;
and a France 100 Francs 1986 Piefort struck on a special double thick
planchet. P972, 5,000 mintage, honoring the centennial of the Statue of
Liberty. .900 fine, .868 oz silver. Here are my winnings ( I have the

100
franc next to a US quarter for sizing);

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...uctionwins.JPG

Bill

What do you plan to do with the 58?

Winde

Email me and we can talk about it. I paid $65, a little more than I wanted
because of one competitive bidder, so it is not the bargain, price wise that
I can sometimes get at the club auction, but it is a pretty nice set. I
would like to describe it at greater length and take some more images if I
sell it. Bill