June was a good month for Half dimes

Old July 14th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Randy Thompson

Default June was a good month for Half dimes

I picked up three new half dimes last month and I thought I would share
them here. I'm not sure what attracts me to these tiny coins other
than they can be very attractive and can be had for reasonable prices
compared to their bigger sisters.

First is an 1834 Capped Bust that came in a SEGS MS63 holder. In hand
the coin looks more like an MS61 or maybe even an AU58. But I paid
around an AU50-55 price so I'm ok with that. This is an LM-2 die
marriage which is very common.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/RGT/1834LM-2.jpg

Second is another 1834 Capped Bust, this time in an NGC MS62 holder. I
paid about twice as much for this one as the higher graded SEGS coin
but it actually makes the grade on the slab. It also has a more
attractive look to it. This is an LM-4 die marriage which is also a
R-1. It is an early die state before the large crack formed that ended
up bisecting the obverse die. Maybe some day I will find a nice one
with the crack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/RGT/1834LM-4.jpg

The last coin is an 1858 Seated Half dime in NGC MS-64. This coin is a
bit dark but I think it is very attractive. What looks like hairlines
in the pictures are really die polish lines. You can see that they
don't go over the devices but are only in the fields. They don't show
up nearly as much in hand as they do in my pictures. This one was
difficult to image and get the color to show without getting too much
glare.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/RGT/1858.jpg

These are all nice coins that I wouldn't be able to touch at the prices
of similar coins in the dollar or half dollar size (well, maybe the
later date bust halves). And, if you take nice big pictures of them
you don't even have to strain your eyes too much to enjoy them.

Old July 14th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

"Randy Thompson" let us enjoy his latest acquisitions with:
I picked up three new half dimes last month and I thought I would share
them here. I'm not sure what attracts me to these tiny coins other
than they can be very attractive and can be had for reasonable prices
compared to their bigger sisters.

Attractive indeed, Randy! Thank you for sharing these little beauties. I
especially like the stunning Seated example!

Amistad
'admiring them from afar!'

Old July 14th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

"Randy Thompson" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Call me ignorant, go ahead, I am. However, are "5 c." coins considered
"half dimes?" I thought only the coins marked "half dime" were coinsidered
as "half dimes." I'd like to hear more about this. They seem like
something that I might also like to collect.

Jonathan_ATC

Old July 14th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike

Jonathan_ATC wrote:
l me ignorant, go ahead, I am. However, are "5 c." coins considered
"half dimes?" I thought only the coins marked "half dime" were coinsidered
as "half dimes." I'd like to hear more about this. They seem like
something that I might also like to collect.

Jonathan_ATC

Nickels = nickel

H.Dime = silver

Mike
Old July 14th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Randy Thompson

Jonathan_ATC wrote:

Call me ignorant, go ahead, I am. However, are "5 c." coins considered
"half dimes?" I thought only the coins marked "half dime" were coinsidered
as "half dimes." I'd like to hear more about this. They seem like
something that I might also like to collect.

Jonathan_ATC

Hello Ignorant. Well, I'd rather call you Jonathan, but since you
insisted...

In 1792 congress autorized the half dime denomination and a few pieces
were struck with the denomination "half disme". This design was
dropped and the half dime resumed production with the Flowing Hair
design in 1794. Like the other silver coins of that era there was no
denomination at all on the coin. The Draped Bust design was first used
in 1796, also with no denomination marking on the coin. It wasn't
until 1829 that the denomination appeared on the half dime at all.
Then in 1837 the first seated liberty design was struck with the words
"half dime".

The other early denominations had various markings too. Half Dollars
sometimes said "50 C", "half dol.", half dollar or had no denomination
at all. The bust dimes of the era were marked 10 C but would still be
considered dimes.

Check out some half dime history at coin facts.

http://www.coinfacts.com/half_dimes/half_dimes.html

Old July 14th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula

"Randy Thompson" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Very nice coins, Randy, and very, very good photography of them!

I'd love to see pics of your photography setup, when you're shooting
toned coins like these! Would you be willing to send me a few pics of
your setup? After I return from vacation, I want to start experimenting
with imaging some of my toned coins; and I could use all the help I
could get!

Hmm, after seeing those beauties, I just might have to give you some
competition for others like these! Ha! ;-)

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old July 14th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

Nice!
That's one of those that's overgraded to be sure it is correctly valued. IOW
it has great looking tone and is pretty much mark free with no major
distractions so even though it may be an AU that one is worth MS63. So if
you paid AU money for it you got a deal.

Old July 15th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Randy Thompson

Eric Babula wrote:

Very nice coins, Randy, and very, very good photography of them!

I'd love to see pics of your photography setup, when you're shooting
toned coins like these! Would you be willing to send me a few pics of
your setup? After I return from vacation, I want to start experimenting
with imaging some of my toned coins; and I could use all the help I
could get!

Thanks Eric. I got most of my setup tips from Eric Tillery and my
setup looks something like his did, at lest at that time. I have a
Testrite copy stand and two goosneck lights that attach to it. I
actually don't use them much and normally get better results using an
handheld lamp. My camera is a Canon Digital Rebel with a 100mm macro
lens. It wasn't a cheap setup, but I think my ebay listings have
gotten higher prices than they would have with a cheaper camera.
Eventually it will pay for itself.

I don't have any pictures of the setup but I might be able to take some
if you think it would help.

Hmm, after seeing those beauties, I just might have to give you some
competition for others like these! Ha! ;-)

I knew it was a bad idea to post pictures here. They seem to go high
enough already so I don't need any more competition.

Old July 15th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

Jonathan_ATC wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the link. I am less ignorant now. Hahaha!

Jonathan_ATC

Old July 15th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Randy Thompson

Jonathan_ATC wrote:

[...]

Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity can't. Congratulations on your
recovery.