Namiki Falcon Spencerian Custom job

Old January 25th 11, 06:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

Default Namiki Falcon Spencerian Custom job

I just ordered and received my Namiki Falcon pen with a custom Spencerian
nib (Exra extra fine, super-flexible nib). I really enjoy it so far. My
thoughts follow.

The overall feel of the pen is cheaper than my MontBlanc Le Grande. It
does not have quite the heft or balance that the MB has. On the other
hand, I still find it to be a handsome specimen. It has similiarly
understated styling that makes it blend in well. The resin looks
serviceable, but I shall wait to see how well its finish holds up compared
to the MB.

Non-writing functions are fairly good. The feed system (twist converter,
in this case) is less agressive than the MB, so it holds less ink and must
be submerged deeper in order to syphon the ink into the barrel, but the
action feels good enough. The cap is a twist on and off, which I have come
to really appreciate, so I expect that it will maintain a tight and
fitting seal for quite some time.

The nib itself is mostly as reported. I believe this is probably the
closest thing to a Spencerian dip pen as you can get in a modern fountain
pen. The nib itself is less springy than the new old stock nibs that I
have, but it has enough feeback to enable serviceable writing. The nib
most definitely writes a very fine line, and I can get fairly good control
over the thickness with appropriate pressure changes. I estimate the range
of thickness from less than a hair’s width to between one and two
milimeters. That is not too bad all things considered. The pen writes
well, has a smooth feel, but with good feedback in the various directions.

Overall, the pen is not the ideal instrument for writing Spencerian: a
steel dip pen will still do better. Nonetheless, the nib should hopefully
last longer than a normal steel nib and it is much more portable.
Moreover, you can actually feel pretty good about writing Spencerian
cursive with this pen; you can bring all the appropriate techniques to
bear, unlike with the normal modern pen nib.

So, yes, I am pleased with my purchase.

Aaron W. Hsu

--
Programming is just another word for the lost art of thinking.
Old January 28th 11, 12:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
newsp.vpuncfp50p3ku8@localhost...
[...]

Thanks for the review.

I have just three comments:

1. Heft - you'll be able to write longer with the lighter pen since heavier
pens tire your hand sooner. If, however, you don't have long writing
sessions, it probably won't be enough of a difference for you to notice.

2. Finish - I got my first Namiki Falcon in 2002. It's my regular pen for
black ink, which I like a lot, and it still looks great.

3. Converter - I reuse a cartridge, refilling it with an eyedropper which
has the extra benefit of being neater, because the cartridge holds more ink
than a converter. The converter is good for flushing out the feed system
every so often.

Enjoy!

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old January 29th 11, 01:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J[_2_]

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
[...]

I have the normal Falcon in Broad, Medium and Fine. The Medium one is my
favourite: a fabulous nib that never skips. I have heavy pens, but I
prefer the agile weightless feel of the Falcon.

The thing to remember, Aaron, is that Pilot parts fit Namiki and vice
versa, so the rubber squeeze-fill device from a cheap Pilot 78 will work
fine in a Falcon. (Filling up cartridges is also good, if you have a
dropper.)

--
Alan

Namiki Falcon Moira Perkins Pens & Pencils 17 May 7th 11 01:36 PM
Would a Namiki Falcon work for me? Moira Perkins Pens & Pencils 23 April 15th 07 12:55 AM
Namiki Falcon scratchy ABC Pens & Pencils 13 April 9th 07 01:10 PM
Namiki Falcon Hugh Pens & Pencils 2 November 26th 06 01:31 AM
Can you use an international cartirdge in a Namiki Falcon? Strider Pens & Pencils 3 March 21st 04 06:51 PM