Getting started collecting Bookss

Old December 13th 03, 10:51 PM
John Evans

Default Getting started collecting Bookss

What's the best way to start collecting antique books. I have a couple I've
bought on e-bay, but truly don't know if I got a good deal. I love my books
so its not too important, but I am curious. I also like collecting them so I
need help getting started.

Thanks,
John

Old December 14th 03, 02:06 AM
Ted Leonard

In article , John Evans
wrote:

What's the best way to start collecting antique books. I have a couple I've
bought on e-bay, but truly don't know if I got a good deal. I love my books
so its not too important, but I am curious. I also like collecting them so I
need help getting started.

Thanks,
John

Well, if you start like I did, you begin by putting the books you love
on a shelf after reading them. If you're like me, one shelf becomes
two, then five, then eight............ shelves of books and then just
piles of books spill out of the first book room in the house and begin
filling every spare space in the place. The piles/shelves/boxes of book
slowly start to take on a sort of twisted life of it's own and Presto!
You're collecting books :-)

Good luck!

--
Ted Leonard

Notice, I've gone in search of myself. If I should show up before I return,
please keep a eye on me till I get back. Thanks!

Remove "this" to reply via email
Old December 14th 03, 04:04 AM
Francis A. Miniter

1. Read a lot. Read more. Save the books.

2. Hunt for books. Local tag sales are very good places to start.
Also, library sponsored book sales. You can find these at
booksalefinder.com .

3. Learn about books. As to book editions generally, try
http://collectbooks.about.com/librar...blpubindex.htm . Another
resource is http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/hylib/en/kvk.html , a
virtual catalogue to important European and American libraries. For
any particular book it is important to know its publishing history so
that you know what you are buying (or selling). Comprehensive
information is difficult to come by, but you can learn a lot from the
extended descriptions given by some dealers. I personally find
http://used.addall.com very useful in this regard. The information now
on the internet shortcuts much of the laborious research of decades
past. But it is not everything. There are a number of important books
on book collecting and first edition points. A convenient handbook is
McBride, Book Collecting for Fun and Profit. A number of other
resources are listed at http://www.trussel.com/f_books.htm .

4. Be patient. Collecting books takes time - decades really. I am
55 years old, I have been collecting for about 40 years and learned some
of what I know from my mother who was a book collector and occasional
dealer.

5. Make a list. As you focus more clearly on what you want to
acquire, prepare a list of the books and editions that you are seeking.
You cannot remember everything. This helps you to avoid duplication.

6. As your interests become more specific, you will find that
collecting on an individual scale is really pursuing a number of
different sub-collections. As an example, you may find that you develop
an interest in Conan Doyle's works. Pursuing that, you may desire to
acquire early, preferably first, editions of each of the publications.
So you may find a second edition of the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.
Then you find the first American edition. Then you search for that
elusive true first, published in England. You may as well develop an
interest in illustrated editions of the Sherlock Holmes works, perhaps
focusing on particular illustrators. No two collectors have the same
interests. Don't be surprised to find that there may be only a hand ful
of people world wide who are interested in the same stuff you are.

7. Read the books you buy.

8. Collect because you love the author, or the work, or the edition.
Unless you intend to become a dealer, don't collect for the purpose of
making money. If the value of a book is important to you, then
remember the three factors that make it valuable: demand, scarcity and
condition.

Francis A. Miniter

Old December 14th 03, 11:55 AM
loikroh

What an excellent reply fom Francis Minter - every word rings true -
certainly in my case. I started collecting Enid Blyton 20 years ago mainly
because I just loved her books as a child in the 50's. I moved on exactly
as said to collect 1st editions (she wrote in the region of 700 books)
The only thing I can add is that the collecting fever can become very
expensive. If you collect a favourite author the books may be cheap now but
that's not to say the market won't change. When I first collected Blyton
there were very few collectors and the books were cheap - if you could find
them. The early 1940's 1st editions of the popular series such as The
Famous Five now fetch many hundreds of pounds and the very rare
ones --ouch!!

good luck

Old December 14th 03, 03:40 PM
Hardy-Boys.net

"John Evans" wrote in message
m...
What's the best way to start collecting antique books. I have a couple

I've
bought on e-bay, but truly don't know if I got a good deal. I love my

books
so its not too important, but I am curious. I also like collecting them so

need help getting started.

Well the best way to go is to concentrate on those areas which appeal the
most to you.
Invest some time in checking out used books stores, online used book stores
and auction sites to determine the value range of the books you wish to
collect.
Try to find collectors with similar interests who can give you pointers.
And, of course, collect only Hardy Boys books!
--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old December 14th 03, 05:37 PM
BookEditions

Once you decide on the genre/author/etc. of books you wish to collect I would
also add:

Buy the best condition of the book that you can afford.

You will probably never go wrong in buying the first edition of that book if
you can afford it. After all, tastes change, and if you decide to sell a book,
a first edition usually has a bigger market.

Protect the books you buy. If it comes with a dust jacket, put it in a safe
cover designed for this purpose. Don't lay your books down flat, expose them to
sunlight, high humidity or smoke and dust.

Most of all, and I repeat what someone already stated, enjoy your books! They
were not written to sit on a bookshelf as some kind of icon. They were meant to
be read. Nothing gives me greater pleasure in reading than holding a fine first
edition or leather bound edition in my hands while I read.

Good luck in your new adventure, and that is exactly what book collecting is.
You are becoming a part of the most fascinating treasure hunt in the world.
Les

SURVEY TIME: Postage when you started TTM collecting? pe2 Autographs 6 January 21st 05 11:59 AM
Free Stamp Collecting Group & Resource List - Join Us! Jeff Walker Worldwide Stamps 0 January 9th 05 10:50 PM
FA: Collecting American Pewter Book in DJ, K. Ebert, c. 73 fishnet531 General 0 July 3rd 04 01:20 AM
In-Person Collecting brian Autographs 0 February 7th 04 10:43 AM
what's the THRILL of collecting [email protected] Books 6 October 28th 03 08:03 PM